triple J Hottest 100 of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I was on a road trip the first half of the year, and as well as listening to a lot more radio I also downloaded a lot more music in the first half of the year. So a lot of front half/driving/singalong songs bias!

Sorry I couldn't shrink the image.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 18.16.51.png

Does anyone else find it odd that

Miss You - Oliver Tree and U&ME by Alt J aren't in the short-list this year. Thought they would be two of the biggest songs of the year for sure?

U&ME was last year.

Hoping that GOY can win it.

A pretty melancholy list this year.......

View attachment 1580649

The Man Himself was also last year. We're on a roll in this thread today.

Both tracks also made the 100 last year - the man himself at 57 and U&ME at 95.

Going to claim Man Himself as 2022 given Angel In Realtime album was released in 2022!!
You can claim it all you like, you'd still be wrong though.

Haven't listened to Triple J as much the last couple of years and just found it too hard to compile a list. But looking back at albums I've added this year, would be happy with songs from Meg Mac, Gordi, Ball Park Music, Arcade Fire (are they no longer Triple J cool?), Alex Cameron, Spacey Jane or Methyl Ethel getting a run. Will also be pleased if Gang of Youths finally land the number 1 they deserved last album and probably last year as well.

so the list is out, can see the usual pop suspects creeping in with Doja Cat, Beyoncé etc which will likely chart higher whilst any rock/indie rock acts will slide to the 50-100 area, unless of course your name is Spacey Jane, Ocean Alley or Lime Cordiale when you can release any kind of sound and it’ll chart haha 😂

I’d love to see GoY finally win but have a feeling Flume will take it with Hardlight in second and Youths third.

so the list is out, can see the usual pop suspects creeping in with Doja Cat, Beyoncé etc which will likely chart higher whilst any rock/indie rock acts will slide to the 50-100 area, unless of course your name is Spacey Jane, Ocean Alley or Lime Cordiale when you can release any kind of sound and it’ll chart haha 😂

I’d love to see GoY finally win but have a feeling Flume will take it with Hardlight in second and Youths third.
I had made a rough prediction of the 100 last night. More than half of my extras turned up in the 100-51 today. Pretty much following the script as always. Does Ye still have enough H100 pull to drag Cardi B over the line into the 100?

I had made a rough prediction of the 100 last night. More than half of my extras turned up in the 100-51 today. Pretty much following the script as always. Does Ye still have enough H100 pull to drag Cardi B over the line into the 100?

I hope not but it wouldnt shock me if she manages to make it :'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which alt-J track do you think is the most popular? I put Hard Drive Gold as my track to watch out for, but not sure if that is correct.
Hard Drive Gold and The Actor would both probably make my top 5 songs of the year. Not sure which would be more widely popular.

I listened to the Gang of Youths top prediction... 'in the wake of your leave'. A very dull generic Aus soft rock song. Maybe i need a couple of more listens, it is not my taste.

I’ve always been very on the fence about GoY and find they get a lot of over hype (they do have some brilliant songs don’t get me wrong) however I find “in the wake of your leave” to be one of their better songs tbh

each to their own however

Obviously they don't get much airplay. Their album release was right in the midst of a driving-heavy portion of my road trip, and Lucy Smith was really the only one playing anything off it beyond its feature album week.

I listened to the Gang of Youths top prediction... 'in the wake of your leave'. A very dull generic Aus soft rock song. Maybe i need a couple of more listens, it is not my taste.

Generic is simply not a term that should be applied to GoY. The entire song is about the regret and anguish Dave felt during his father's funeral. With a catchy central tune and a bit of violin work to tie it all together. This is pretty far from the usual MMM soft rock fodder you might be thinking of

If you want to hear generic then look no further than Spacey Jane, Ocean Alley, Lime Cordiale and every other 'surf rock' band in the country.

Generic is simply not a term that should be applied to GoY. The entire song is about the regret and anguish Dave felt during his father's funeral. With a catchy central tune and a bit of violin work to tie it all together. This is pretty far from the usual MMM soft rock fodder you might be thinking of

If you want to hear generic then look no further than Spacey Jane, Ocean Alley, Lime Cordiale and every other 'surf rock' band in the country.

haha THIS, I love Hardlight but overall Spacey, Ocean Alley and LC are like the Nickelback of triple j bands to me, a lot of similarities and monotonous tracks between them

I dunno what it is, i'm by no means a music connoisseur and trend away from rock in general, but I just find the sound of Spacey Jane and Ocean Alley more enjoyable. And i say that as someone who isn't a fan of either.

Is there a lack of 1975 in the list and if so, why. They released a cracking album. Is it a lack of obvious singles, has Triple J dropped them like most other international acts that aren't rap or hip hop?

the lead singer came out and blasted the j’s earlier this year actually haha

Warm Tunas is predicting “I’m In Love With You” to chart despite this

Is there a lack of 1975 in the list and if so, why. They released a cracking album. Is it a lack of obvious singles, has Triple J dropped them like most other international acts that aren't rap or hip hop?
They’re getting stacks of airplay atm, probably vote split as I’ve seen plenty for them. I’m in love with you seems to be the most popular.

first prediction below, will adjust during the next few weeks and post a final one once voting closes...

1. Flume - Say Nothing (ft. MAY-A)

2. Spacey Jane - Hardlight

3. Eliza Rose & Interplanetary Criminal - B.O.T.A. (Baddest of Them All)

4. Gang of Youths - in the wake of your leave

5. Fred Again - Delilah [Pull Me Out of This]

6. Steve Lacy - Bad Habit

7. King Stingray - Camp Dog

8. Paramore - This is Why

9. Ball Park Music - Stars in My Eyes

10. Dune Rats - Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again {Like a Version}

11. Gorillaz - New Gold (ft. Tame Impala & Bootie Brown)

12. Spacey Jane - Sitting Up

13. Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers - Girl Sports

14. Jack Harlow - First Class

15. Wet Leg - Ur Mum

16. Joji - Glimpse of Us

17. King Stingray - Let's Go

18. Kendrick Lamar - N95

19. Gensis Owusu - Get Inspired

20. Fred Again & Swedish House Mafia - Turn On the Lights Again... (ft. Future)

21. Spacey Jane - It's Been a Long Day

22. Luude & Mattafix - Big City Life

23. Peach PRC - God is a Freak

24. Dom Dolla - Miracle Maker (ft. Clementine Douglas)

25. Lime Cordiale - Facts of Life

26. The Kid LAROI - Thousand Miles

27. Denzel Curry - Walkin'

28. Flume - Shooting Stars (ft. Toro Y Moi) {Like a Version}

29. Teenage Joans - Terrible

30. Ocean Alley - Deepest Darkness

31. Skeggs - Stranger Days

32. Thelma Plum - Backseat of My Mind

33. The Wombats - Is This What it Feels Like to Feel Like This?

34. Lizzo - About Damn Time

35. Violent Soho - Kamikaze

36. Vance Joy - Clarity

37. King Stingray - Yellow {Like a Version}

38. Fred Again - Jungle

39. Sam Fender - Alright

40. Beyonce - CUFF IT

41. Flume - Slugger 1.4 [2014 Export.WAV]

42. Bring Me the Horizon - sTraNgeRs

43. G-Flip - GAY 4 ME (ft. Lauren Sanderson)

44. Teenage Dads - Teddy

45. Jack Harlow - Nail Tech

46. Spacey Jane - Pulling Through

47. Telenova - Why Do I Keep You?

48. The Rions - Anakin

49. Flume - Sirens (ft. Caroline Polachek)

50. Lime Cordiale - Colin

51. The 1975 - I'm in Love With You

52. The Wombats - Running Up That Hill {Like a Version}

53. The Weeknd - Sacrifice

54. Ball Park Music - Weirder & Weirder

55. Gorillaz - Cracker Island (ft. Thundercat)

56. Gang of Youths - goal of the century

57. Baker Boy - Wish You Well (ft. Bernard Fanning)

58. Sycco - Ripple [prod. by Flume]

59. The Buoys - Red Flags

60. Drake - Jimmy Crooks (ft. 21 Savage)

61. Disclosure - Waterfall (ft. Raye)

62. Thelma Plum - The Brown Snake

63. Ocean Alley - Home

64. Beddy Rays - Milk

65. Pacific Avenue - Leaving for London

66. My Chemical Romance - The Foundations of Decay

67. The Chats - 6L GTR

68. Doja Cat - Vegas

69. Foals - 2am

70. Camp Cope - Running With the Hurricane

71. G-Flip - Get Me Outta Here

72. The Smith Street Band - I Don't Wanna Do Nothing Forever

73. Lizzo - 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready)

74. Methyl Ethyl - Proof (ft. Stella Donnelly)

75. Lime Cordiale - Country Club

76. Peach PRC - Forever Drunk

77. Skin on Skin - Burn Dem Bridges

78. Genesis Owusu - GTFO

79. Arctic Monkeys - There'd Better Be a Mirrorball

80. Slowly Slowly - Forget You

81. DMA's - Everybody's Saying Thursdays the Weekend

82. Beyonce - BREAK MY SOUL

83. Gang of Youths - Why Does it Always Rain on Me? {Like a Version}

84. Beddy Rays - Handful

85. Spacey Jane - Yet

86. Sly Withers - Passing Through

87. blink-182 - EDGING

88. Machine Gun Kelly - Maybe (ft. Bring Me the Horizon)

89. FISHER - It's a Killa (ft. Shermanology)

90. Jack Harlow - Churchill Downs (ft. Drake)

91. Ball Park Music - Manny

92. Mallrat - Surprise Me (ft. Azaelia Banks)

93. Billie Eilish - TV

94. Kendrick Lamar - The Heart Part 5

95. Gang of Youths - the kingdom is within you

96. Drake - Rich Flex (ft. 21 Savage)

97. Florence + The Machine - Free

98. Confidence Man - Luvin U is Easy

99. Fontaines DC - Jackie Down the Line

100. Adam Newling - Singing Blackbird

Remove this Banner Ad

Back