Society/Culture Triple M filling the Triple J Australia Day hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...stralia-day-redneck-scum-20171221-h08kbw.html

"Triple M has sparked widespread outrage and even caused an internal rift over a controversial plan to broadcast their own version of the Hottest 100 on Australia Day.

An email to listeners said the station would launch the Ozzest 100 on January 26 in order to promote Australian music.

Award-winning rapper Briggs has called Triple M "redneck scum" and accused the station of pandering to "white nationalists and racists".

"Vultures," he tweeted. "F--- 'em.""

I find "widespread outrage" to be a great ridiculous statement even when true, but that aside, where do you sit with this promotion stunt by Triple M? Is it just good business to stir up some coverage and fill a gap that Triple J has left since moving the Hottest 100 from Jan 26? Does Briggs' comment have any real substance to it? What does that say about Triple J up until this year then? Is 'outrage' an overreaction due to the current political climate, or is it reasonable to suggest all other stations should be following Triple J's lead?

More inside.

Triple J had a real place and tradition for Australia Day, then they went and dropped the ball virtue-signalling.
Triple M now have a chance to pick the ball up and run with it.

Not much to talk about.
Who is Briggs? Some bloke getting paid to be angry?

Last edited:
Triple J had a real place and tradition in place for Australia Day, then they went and dropped the ball virtue-signalling.
Triple M now have a chance to pick the ball up and run with it.

Not much to talk about.
Who is Briggs? Some bloke getting paid to be angry?
He's an aboriginal rapper. The flogs complaining are the PC pro invasion day group while I'd take a guess that mmm's audience couldn't give a * and will happily recognise aust day.

Australia Day can no longer claim to unite the country, it's a failure as it stands in it's intent, just change the bloody thing.
What if no date can ultimately unite us?

For example, the 8th of May is an ex girlfriend's birthday and I'm not particular fond of her or that date.

Australia Day can no longer claim to unite the country, it's a failure as it stands in it's intent, just change the bloody thing.
Dumb comment. There was a survey done and published in the guardian which had 15% say they wanted it changed. I guess seeming 38% were against SSM you'd agree Australia is even less united on this issue and by your logic the government shouldn't have changed the marriage law.

For example, the 8th of May is an ex girlfriend's birthday and I'm not particular fond of her or that date.
I think the significance of the First People's' objection to this day shouldn't be underplayed. It marks the beginning of a shocking period in their history, I wouldn't be celebrating that any either. I'm sure better minds than ours can come up with something regarding the date.

Award-winning rapper Briggs has called Triple M "redneck scum" and accused the station of pandering to "white nationalists and racists".

"Vultures," he tweeted. "F--- 'em.""

Someone should tell Briggs that we haven't all decided that Australia Day is a white nationalist holiday.

MMM are a radio station, they're allowed to play music :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we wouldn't be celebrating your ex girlfriend, would we? That's the problem with the current date of Australia Day, it explicitly celebrates the starting date of an ancient civilisation being virtually wiped out

I think the significance of the First People's' objection to this day shouldn't be underplayed. It marks the beginning of a shocking period in their history, I wouldn't be celebrating that any either. I'm sure better minds than ours can come up with something regarding the date.
And to be honest it has just been a public holiday until the last couple of decades when buying a plastic flag and those little stick on transfers and all that plastic guff became a thing.

What are these days actually for anyway? Mostly just for the government to promote themselves and direct public attention to being patriotic... and support whatever they are trying on that year?

I've changed my view on Australia Day over the years and I tend to agree with you. Equating Triple M with white nationalism for playing Australian music on (what is currently) Australia Day is just hyperbole to me though. And very provocative, unhelpful hyperbole too.

How is Triple M not virtue signalling?
Do you honestly need an answer for that, or...?

Ok. Triple J are a largely government-funded station with who made a bad business decision to score political points because they (thought) they didn't need the listeners.
Triple M is in the business to make money, saw an opportunity, and grabbed it. What "virtue" is that? I'd be very interested to see how you'd interpret it.

So, Briggs gets mad.
Which is a bit silly, because if Triple J had stayed with the hottest 100 on the traditional day instead of trying to score a moral victory, he sounds like exactly the sort of artist who would have gained a bit more exposure had he featured in it.
A.B. Original, huh. Seen a couple of things they've done on Like A Version. Meh. I didn't make the connection with Briggs, had to look it up.

I mean if Triple M play any of his music now (especially on Jan 26th) they'll be doing it with a bit of a smirk in his direction, I'm thinking.
I know I would. Which means his exposure is now more reliant upon a mainstream radio station playing "Australian" music.

Isn't Triple J still having it on the same weekend anyway? I think it's on the last Saturday of January 2018, which would mean the following two years will also be on the long weekend(I think) lol ballsy move there from Triple J.

On the subject of music, whenever I have the misfortune to listen to it nowadays, it reminds me of a glorified Triple M anyway.

I suppose all the Aboriginals are going to stay sober, not fire up the barbie and go to work instead then.

Heh. You plonker. They'll be out there celebrating the day off like everyone else. If they want to do the same things everyone else does and then claim it was for a different spurious reason than white folks use, good on 'em.

I suppose all the Aboriginals are going to stay sober, not fire up the barbie and go to work instead then.

Heh. You plonker. They'll be out there celebrating the day off like everyone else. If they want to do the same things everyone else does and then claim it was for a different spurious reason than white folks use, good on 'em.

Most of them could not give the slightest *, including my next door neighbour and his two kids.

They're just happy to have a Public Holiday like most of us :thumbsu:

Do you honestly need an answer for that, or...?

Ok. Triple J are a largely government-funded station with who made a bad business decision to score political points because they (thought) they didn't need the listeners.
Triple M is in the business to make money, saw an opportunity, and grabbed it. What "virtue" is that? I'd be very interested to see how you'd interpret it.

They're playing up how patriotic they are. Making a big public deal of it.

That's virtue signalling.

Australia Day and everyone who celebrates it can get ******.
Why would anybody in their right mind want to celebrate the day Mother England found a place to dump hundreds of thousands of its convicts on the other side of the world due to their prisons being at full capacity, I'll never understand. The day Australia finally decides to grow up and cut the apron strings from the Pommies could be a suitable day for celebration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back