Opinion Troy Menzel - Where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

It maybe that Menzel is not good enough. There may be others in our 22 with the same question marks.

But its going to be hard to evaluate any player as long as our game plan doesnt stack up. For one thing, our problems were plain to see last year against Geelong, Swans and WCE. This was well before Menzel.

Our game plan has to be suited to the cattle we have. Not the cattle we wish we had. At the moment the problems lie at the top - with Don Pyke and his assistants. If they can figure out a game plan that can take this group of players and make them competitive in a game like today, then we can see which players are worthy of our 22 and which need a line through them.

I have my doubts about Menzel and Hampton. But I am not willing to put a line through two players who actually can tackle and put on defensive pressure while that is still one of our glaring weaknesses.

Bit disappointed because I thought he did well in the 1st quarter to get involved in some link up play, but was quiet after that and didn't touch it in the last quarter.

Played a team low 80 minutes though, which was 7 less than our next best in Brad Crouch and Hampton and the lowest on field (apart from Hunt who got wheeled off).

Bit disappointed because I thought he did well in the 1st quarter to get involved in some link up play, but was quiet after that and didn't touch it in the last quarter.

Played a team low 80 minutes though, which was 7 less than our next best in Brad Crouch and Hampton and the lowest on field (apart from Hunt who got wheeled off).

Came off in the last with a groin strain I believe.

Probably from having bigger balls than anyone except Laird who is a hobbit and hobbits carry their large balls remarkably well

We need to single out his performance tonight as disgraceful, unacceptable and demand improvement from him whilst declaring he will play at least the next month of football in the SANFL.

This should divert enough attention away publicly from the fact that Dave Mackay will still maintain his spot in the starting 18

Exactly I'm finding it hard to reason how any forward can be blamed or severely criticised for the loss tonight, yes it's fine to have a go at Menzel for his faults, overall output and if you just plainly think he's not a good player that's fine but honestly they were on the receiving end of one of the worst midfield efforts I've seen, the forwards might of not been great and look 'soft' & dumb at times but look what was happening up the ground that's what we need to purge.

Looks a hard worker and after 4 games I don't think there's really any need to finalise a view on him. Considering the rest of the rubbish that was thrown up by our guns like JJ and Lynch, I'm thinking he might actually come good. Of the 3 traded in that year, Hampton is the one I'm most concerned about if his only spot is as an inside midfielder. Seed is concerning due to ability to get on the park. But Menzel hasn't even started concerning me yet.

I said it at the time, but dropping him twice has been a mistake. We need to back him in for a run of games, THEN decide if he's not up to it
This is my position as well.

Troy is an introvert and does struggle with the mental side of the ups and downs of football. Sure he should be aware of the possibilities that competitive sport is a hostile environment but he is , to use an old term, a confidence player. Back him in and give him time to fit in.

My only comment on his game last night is he seems to be lacksadaisical in his approach. Its something I see in Tex at times, gets the ball and then burns it through a lack of focus. Its as if getting the ball is enough. If the pass isn't executed properly or the handball misses, no biggie, get the next one.

My only comment on his game last night is he seems to be lacksadaisical in his approach. Its something I see in Tex at times, gets the ball and then burns it through a lack of focus. Its as if getting the ball is enough. If the pass isn't executed properly or the handball misses, no biggie, get the next one.
Same applies to Jenkins.

The number of times tex kicks it into the man on the mark drives me up the wall at times, especially when he wheels around on his left. Feels like he does it a couple of times a game

Confidence issue imo.
He's had a few golden opportunities to nail a goal or to nail a devastating pass to another forward in a better position, but has fluffed the kick which usually ends up dribbling short of both targets and into the hands of the opposition. Doesn't seem confident enough to act on his first instinct, gets caught in the middle deciding between goal or pass, and fluffs it.

He wasnt our worst and he is trying to regain his confidence. The talent he has.
He was harder at the man than most of our mids were.
His position is half forward flanker where he gets 15 to 20 touches and kicks a couple of goals.
He is a wingard type, but not as good. A part of that is pressure to keep the ball inside our half, which you can tell he has been told to concentrate on, and he has improved this big time.
Sometimes depending on game plans and form the hffs can get bypassed more than you would want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's had a few golden opportunities to nail a goal or to nail a devastating pass to another forward in a better position, but has fluffed the kick which usually ends up dribbling short of both targets and into the hands of the opposition. Doesn't seem confident enough to act on his first instinct, gets caught in the middle deciding between goal or pass, and fluffs it.
The amount of times Atkins kicks it directly to an opposition player lace out is crazy. And he is one of our better kicks.

Hard to be too visable with only 61% time on ground. If we're not able to play him for a solid stretch should we be playing him at all? Same goes with Brouch.

His decision making and execution is poor
I don't give a fig about game plans etc
They are irrelevant in this context

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

No. Not yet. Let him regain some confidence. He now has the talent and effort. Looks like a confidence issue. Of the three elements that's the easiest by a mile to get right.

Back him in for a bit longer. Dropping him when he was very clearly not the worst on ground would be a disaster imo.

Hard to be too visable with only 61% time on ground. If we're not able to play him for a solid stretch should we be playing him at all? Same goes with Brouch.
Got injured. Didn't play in the last quarter

This is my position as well.

Troy is an introvert and does struggle with the mental side of the ups and downs of football. Sure he should be aware of the possibilities that competitive sport is a hostile environment but he is , to use an old term, a confidence player. Back him in and give him time to fit in.
Is this just a personal observation or based on fact? If it is fact you know this how??

Surely if this is the case with all the testing the draftees go through prior to the draft and the intel all the clubs share we wouldn't have gone after him if he is so fragile mentally?

As it stands, I'd hate to drop a guy who is putting in, ahead of guys who aren't. He certainly needs to improve, but looks nervous as hell with ball in hand. Playing like a guy who knows he's on the edge.

Back him in, drop some squibs and give him a few games. Biggest issue seems to be he doesn't really fit into our best 22, even if he was playing at the required level.

Give him five games whilst we rest players that are ******* injured. You can't play a guy and drop him after each match, it destroys you and makes you feel you aren't part of the club.

I'd rather play five matches of Menz to see how he comes up rather than see five more matches of Mackay in preservation mode. I don't think I was the only one seeing him go the whole hog Kane Cornes last night. The run deep into D 50 to provide a get out kick to the player with the ball ( and lets not get into the stepping of your line to cause a play on) or the give an option 15 metres up the line and then hold up instead of playing on. We have gifted this soft campaigner 160 games, surely we can give Menz 5?

We need to persist . It's the mckays of this world that we need to dismiss . Menzel needs more opportunities

It maybe that Menzel is not good enough. There may be others in our 22 with the same question marks.

But its going to be hard to evaluate any player as long as our game plan doesnt stack up. For one thing, our problems were plain to see last year against Geelong, Swans and WCE. This was well before Menzel.

Our game plan has to be suited to the cattle we have. Not the cattle we wish we had. At the moment the problems lie at the top - with Don Pyke and his assistants. If they can figure out a game plan that can take this group of players and make them competitive in a game like today, then we can see which players are worthy of our 22 and which need a line through them.

I have my doubts about Menzel and Hampton. But I am not willing to put a line through two players who actually can tackle and put on defensive pressure while that is still one of our glaring weaknesses.
Pardon for the intrusion but Menzel when at Carlton was seen as a player with immense talent but does not have a tank or works hard enough for a forward pocket/flanker.At times he looks laconic but that's just the way he is.I think he needs 4 or 5 games in a row to build his confidence.Hope you guys get out of your little rut and play off in a GF,would love to see Eddie with a premiership medal.Best small forward to ever play the game.Good luck for the rest of the year.

Pardon for the intrusion but Menzel when at Carlton was seen as a player with immense talent but does not have a tank or works hard enough for a forward pocket/flanker.At times he looks laconic but that's just the way he is.I think he needs 4 or 5 games in a row to build his confidence.Hope you guys get out of your little rut and play off in a GF,would love to see Eddie with a premiership medal.Best small forward to ever play the game.Good luck for the rest of the year.
Said this last night he needs to be told you have 5 games to prove yourself you won't be dropped in those 5 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back