UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

I could see a lot of Spurs players being targeted come the end of this season. Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Alderweireld the main four I would have thought. Not all will go, maybe none of them will but Real Madrid are in dire need of a revamp.

Plus if Spurs play their cards right, they might be able to get Bale back in any deal for say Alli...

Kane seems unlikely to go but money talks and so does winning trophies. Spurs havent won anything and Real have just won two European Cups. When you hang up your boots you dont think about that great wet tuesday night when you beat Stoke 1-0. You think about the trophies and big matches you won.

Spurs havent done that yet and I feel they need to, soon. Or the players will start to move on.

Top spot might not be the best this season. Madrid, Bayern both looking likely to finish 2nd in their group. Juve, Seville, maybe Roma possible opponents for group winners.
Sure as hell beats finishing 2nd. Even if we assume Chelsea recover to get top spot that means English clubs can’t draw each other. That’d leave you with options like Besiktas, Barcelona and PSG. Given we can’t get Madrid I’ll prefer to take my chances on that than have a 2/3 chance of PSG/Barca

I could see a lot of Spurs players being targeted come the end of this season. Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Alderweireld the main four I would have thought. Not all will go, maybe none of them will but Real Madrid are in dire need of a revamp.

Plus if Spurs play their cards right, they might be able to get Bale back in any deal for say Alli...

Kane seems unlikely to go but money talks and so does winning trophies. Spurs havent won anything and Real have just won two European Cups. When you hang up your boots you dont think about that great wet tuesday night when you beat Stoke 1-0. You think about the trophies and big matches you won.

Spurs havent done that yet and I feel they need to, soon. Or the players will start to move on.

So when’s half your squad leaving? They haven’t won trophies either. No doubt you’ll say it’s different as it’s Liverpool.

It’s humorous if a tad pathetic that every time we have a good win the talk is about who’s going to get poached. When we lose it’s about who’s going to walk out.

Sure as hell beats finishing 2nd. Even if we assume Chelsea recover to get top spot that means English clubs can’t draw each other. That’d leave you with options like Besiktas, Barcelona and PSG. Given we can’t get Madrid I’ll prefer to take my chances on that than have a 2/3 chance of PSG/Barca

So when’s half your squad leaving? They haven’t won trophies either. No doubt you’ll say it’s different as it’s Liverpool.

It’s humorous if a tad pathetic that every time we have a good win the talk is about who’s going to get poached. When we lose it’s about who’s going to walk out.

Don't rise to it, Jod's just being a silly troll.

Don't rise to it, Jod's just being a silly troll.

But it’s not just him. Balague spent all last season with us writing Poch’s book and said he laughs at how predictable media is. Like clockwork after United and again after beating Madrid.

It’s funny but at the same time pathetic.

Top spot might not be the best this season. Madrid, Bayern both looking likely to finish 2nd in their group. Juve, Seville, maybe Roma possible opponents for group winners.

Was looking at that yesterday.

As it stands at the moment, the incumbent champions of 4 of the 5 major leagues (Real, Bayern, Juve, Chelsea) are sitting in second place in their groups.

2015/16 wage bills

1. Man United £232m
2. Chelsea £224m
3. Liverpool £208m
4. Man City £198m
5. Arsenal £195m
6. Tottenham £100m

I know you like to focus on us but there are a few options for him if he wants a pay rise (obviously Liverpool is excluded as he wouldnt make their team).

For Liverpool & Man United those wage bills include wages for everyone at the club, not just the players. City's wage bill includes the players only IIRC. And sorry that you got so upset by the suggestion that Kane moving to City would be just for the money but in reality it would be. Spurs have been performing better in the league than City in the last 3 years and all City have to show for the last 3 years is 1 league cup trophy. Kane doesn't need to join any club at the moment to further his ambitions and as stated before he doesn't seem to be the player that would leave for a bigger pay cheque.

I think you're in a good position with Kane. There will be attempts to unsettle him / buy him from the likes of Real / Barca who both need new CF replacements in the next couple of years. Kane himself seems happy in England though and looks like he wouldn't push for a move unless you guys regress which is looking unlikely.

The difference is that Liverpool don't have any good players to poach. Coutinho is the only one that would interest the mega clubs and even he's overrated.

For Liverpool & Man United those wage bills include wages for everyone at the club, not just the players. City's wage bill includes the players only IIRC.

Nope. Players, coaching staff, groundsman, receptionist, tea lady etc. 320 employees.

We have some staff paid by City Football Services/City Football Marketing (with costs charged back against the individual clubs in the group). From memory that would add another £12m to our wage bill if they were paid by the club.

You kind of missed the point though. 5 clubs listed there that pay significantly more than Spurs. So if he wanted to leave for money there would be options other than us.

And sorry that you got so upset by the suggestion that Kane moving to City would be just for the money but in reality it would be. Spurs have been performing better in the league than City in the last 3 years and all City have to show for the last 3 years is 1 league cup trophy. Kane doesn't need to join any club at the moment to further his ambitions and as stated before he doesn't seem to be the player that would leave for a bigger pay cheque.

I'm not upset. I'm just making the point that if Kane wanted to leave for money he'd have plenty of options in England and throughout Europe.

If people continue to think we have nothing to offer a footballer other than a good pay rise that's cool by me.

Last edited:
I think you're in a good position with Kane. There will be attempts to unsettle him / buy him from the likes of Real / Barca who both need new CF replacements in the next couple of years. Kane himself seems happy in England though and looks like he wouldn't push for a move unless you guys regress which is looking unlikely.
There's only two viable English suitors. City and Utd. Doubt we'd allow him to go to either.
Seems settled in London with a kid now, doubt he goes abroad. I do think he'll stay to break Greaves/Shearer's records.
The difference is that Liverpool don't have any good players to poach. Coutinho is the only one that would interest the mega clubs and even he's overrated.
Ha ha didn't mean it as a potshot, just to make a point to Jodly.
We could do with an upgrade on GKN on the bench so maybe we should bid for Coutinho ;)

There's only two viable English suitors. City and Utd. Doubt we'd allow him to go to either.
Seems settled in London with a kid now, doubt he goes abroad. I do think he'll stay to break Greaves/Shearer's records.

Ha ha didn't mean it as a potshot, just to make a point to Jodly.
We could do with an upgrade on GKN on the bench so maybe we should bid for Coutinho ;)
Marcus Edwards could do with some competition in the u23's. Maybe Coutinho could do a job there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh?? We've consistently lost players because we havent been successful enough. Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Sterling, Suarez and the next two to go will be Can and Coutinho.

Huh?? We've consistently lost players because we havent been successful enough. Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Sterling, Suarez and the next two to go will be Can and Coutinho.
Yeah so when are they all leaving given that’s the conventional wisdom on here. We can’t go a win without the tired old debate of when they’re getting poached. Can’s vanilla anyway. This board needs something else as a talking point.

How dare you, Harry Winks
Yeah, I dunno. Off the top of my head most of the brilliant young players at the moment are forward players. Kessie springs to mind, Tielemans, Weigl, and Dahoud are all brilliant. I think he just about fits into that group.

What I loved about the Real Madrid game was that we had three 21-year olds not only start, but play key roles in the win. Dele, Winks and Sanchez could all be considered to be in the top group of player in their position and of their age in the world.

I love how against Kroos and Modric he just didn't give too much of a care to it and still played his natural game. Confidence he has in his ability was clear in that build up to the 3rd goal. Didn't take the safe pass and it sent us on our way to score the sealer

Yeah, I dunno. Off the top of my head most of the brilliant young players at the moment are forward players. Kessie springs to mind, Tielemans, Weigl, and Dahoud are all brilliant. I think he just about fits into that group.

What I loved about the Real Madrid game was that we had three 21-year olds not only start, but play key roles in the win. Dele, Winks and Sanchez could all be considered to be in the top group of player in their position and of their age in the world.
I love how against Kroos and Modric he just didn't give too much of a care to it and still played his natural game. Confidence he has in his ability was clear in that build up to the 3rd goal. Didn't take the safe pass and it sent us on our way to score the sealer
Brilliant player, i have to admit i was worried he would be another Bentaleb but i feel like he has a better temperament and more in his locker.
Scholesesque footballing smarts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back