Opinion Umpiring: Corruption or Incompetence, or both

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ken is reluctant to call out the umpires when our players continue to make stupid mistakes with the ball. He wants to tee off but he knows that their crap isn’t the sole reason why we lost and so he can’t.

Forget these campaigners. We need to get better so they become irrelevant and can’t influence the outcome.

I think we should do both.

>>I noticed all game that Port players were told to play on much quicker than Hawthorn players

Noticed it too. My observation was that the AFL was tinkering with things to see if it would speed up the game or make it less congested and we got the bum steer off a couple of umpires with a subconscious prejudice against us or towards Hawthorn

they chose our game because it was in Tassie and they figured not many people would be watching it

Why is there a ten metre protected zone? I read it was to increase scoring. Lol. Scoring keeps going down. The only goals are from 50's for some stupid rule.
Sorry to intrude on your forum but, I like u think this rule is ridiculous. Westhoff was no way a 50m penalty. The rules committee has turned what was once black and white rules into a game with so many grey areas.
As a football fan all we want is a contest between 2 teams. Just because there was niggle early the umpires feel the need to assert themselves. Bad luck yesterday.

The Hawthorn bullshit of stopping the man on the mark from being able to tackle a Hawks player when they run around because another Hawks player stands next to the man on the mark. So to stop that rather than a 10m zone for the man on the mark a 10m zone all around the kicker is introduced.

There’s no law against it. The protected zone extends from the mark back 10m and 5m either side...it’s not around the mark.

My question is why don’t we do it, because we have more players who can run.

The Hawthorn bullshit of stopping the man on the mark from being able to tackle a Hawks player when they run around because another Hawks player stands next to the man on the mark. So to stop that rather than a 10m zone for the man on the mark a 10m zone all around the kicker is introduced.
Players jogging by with no intent to interfere that don't hinder should not be what this rule stands for it's ridiculous no doubt they'll correct at some point it but the damage is already done.

Fair enough. If that was the problem, couldn't they just award a free for blocking the man on the mark within five metres or something?

Players jogging by with no intent to interfere that don't hinder should not be what this rule stands for it's ridiculous no doubt they'll correct at some point it but the damage is already done.

I read they actually decided to focus on the rule this year coz it is so f&)$$ing good. Pack of freaking morons.

Let me ask you this REH

Do you think it helps having chad cornes as our runner.
I don’t.

He has long been hated by the umpiring fraternity and one thing I’ve learned is that prejudices of senior umpires are passed down to junior umpires.

I’d move him to another role immediately.

Let me ask you this REH

Do you think it helps having chad cornes as our runner.
I don’t.

He has long been hated by the umpiring fraternity and one thing I’ve learned is that prejudices of senior umpires are passed down to junior umpires.

I’d move him to another role immediately.
Are you saying Chad abuses the umpires or that the umpires see Chad and an unconcious bias kicks in? If the former then yes get rid of him. If the later then not sure how you can prove it.

Are you saying Chad abuses the umpires or that the umpires see Chad and an unconcious bias kicks in? If the former then yes get rid of him. If the later then not sure how you can prove it.

Who reported him for saying a naughty word to Goldstein?

There’s no law against it. The protected zone extends from the mark back 10m and 5m either side...it’s not around the mark.

My question is why don’t we do it, because we have more players who can run.
Hawthorn players still do it but they start from further away than they used to and don't do it as often since the rule change. Mitchell in particular used to stand a metre from the man on the mark and he and the kicker would wait till they heard the umpire call play on and then Mitchell would run straight at the man on the mark and bump or block him so the kicker could run around and then past the mark. Now the Hawks players who try it start from 5+m away from the man on the mark.

Why don't we do it? Players aren't smart enough and coaches don't drill our players to do it is probably the answer.

Right after the obvious 50m Chad wasn’t paid as well.

I noticed all game that Port players were told to play on much quicker than Hawthorn players. At one point they called play on to Jonas right after he marked it because it looked like he was about to go off his line when he actually didn’t.

By not confronting the terrible umpiring, we’re continuing to enable it.

Ken saying “it’s a tough game to umpire” does a massive disservice to our club and does precisely zero to improve our chances of success. Clarkson had an issue with Roughead being blocked, took it straight to the AFL, Roughead no longer gets blocked or at least gets many more frees.

Nicholls should be blacklisted from ever umpiring our games again. I also noticed that whenever we built momentum, Nicholls wasn’t actively umpiring that part of the ground. For some reason he screws us over every time he umpires our games, the pattern is there.

One final issue - the technical free kick. Yes Chad technically gave away a free with an arm over the shoulder during a contest on the wing. If you’re going to pay that against our club, pay the same technical frees the other way. Far too many times we have to play to a far higher technical standard to avoid giving away frees while the opposition has more freedom to infringe without being penalised. As a club we need to address this otherwise we will continue to be handicapped.

Well said Forza. There’s definitely a double standard at play due to either deliberate or passive (or as I suspect a mix of both) bias.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

>>I noticed all game that Port players were told to play on much quicker than Hawthorn players

Noticed it too. My observation was that the AFL was tinkering with things to see if it would speed up the game or make it less congested and we got the bum steer off a couple of umpires with a subconscious prejudice against us or towards Hawthorn

they chose our game because it was in Tassie and they figured not many people would be watching it
And it’s likely that Clarko, with his hotline directly to the AFL, was made aware of this plan which is blatant cheating by he and the AFL. They must have a massive laugh over coffees at our expense.

Wasn't that the interchange steward.

I don’t know that it was disclosed. I doubt Chads presence has an influence on the umpiring, but I can see how as a supporter base we are looking for an explanation as to why we cop the short straw most weeks.

And it’s likely that Clarko, with his hotline directly to the AFL, was made aware of this plan which is blatant cheating by he and the AFL. They must have a massive laugh over coffees at our expense.

"Boys , if you've got westhoff or dixon trailing you sprint past our man on the mark you'll jag some 50s they're donkey dumb and look slow when they run.. Oh, and they'll be calling play on really fast this Saturday too. "

I think Ken is reluctant to call out the umpires when our players continue to make stupid mistakes with the ball. He wants to tee off but he knows that their crap isn’t the sole reason why we lost and so he can’t.

Forget these campaigners. We need to get better so they become irrelevant and can’t influence the outcome.

They're not mutually exclusive issues, both can be worked on at the same time.

"Boys , if you've got westhoff or dixon trailing you sprint past our man on the mark you'll jag some 50s they're donkey dumb and look slow when they run.. Oh, and they'll be calling play on really fast this Saturday too. "

This is so true. Players would be instructed to sprint past the man on the mark. Either you get a break on your opponent or you get a 50. Win win. What a load of bollocks.

A bit of both. He’s no choir boy and has long been disliked by umpires.

It probably cost him a Brownlow.

The rules committee don't like to admit when they've got it wrong. First they introduced 5m so that players kicking for goal from tight angles had some leeway to run around. Mainly because the skill of scoring from tight angles has gone. Then they increased it to 10m but making it a rule that covers the whole of the ground was a huge mistake. Of all the 50m penalties for the protected rule that I've seen, I could probably count on one hand the number that have affected play. Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. The rule should be abolished except when kicking for goal, penalties for running through the mark and throwing the ball away are another thing and probably should remain.
Umpires should stop being so lax with not paying a fifty too. They sometimes don't pay them at the MCG thinking the player didn't hear who had the free and they just played on. Well, tough and anyway often the umpires don't pay 50s when that happens at a game like Carlton v St Kilda where the loudest noise is the crickets. Saying players don't know who has the free is a load of crap anyway. 90% of the time they will, they're professional footballers.

A bit of both. He’s no choir boy and has long been disliked by umpires.

It probably cost him a Brownlow.
Ok I will try again. Are you saying Chad yaps to the umpires and abuses the umpires in his role as a runner since he has been doing the job from 2016 season??

Are you sure? I can see nowhere that in says in the rule that an extra player from the team with the free or the mark may be in the protected area. If that is the rule it is not being policed as I saw a couple of occasions where Hawks players were standing next to players on the mark.

16.1.1 Standing The Mark
When a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick or is Kicking into play after a Behind has been scored, one Player from the opposing Team may stand at the position on the Playing Surface where the Mark or Free Kick was awarded or where the field Umpire otherwise directs the Player to stand. The position on the Playing Surface where the opposing Player stands is known as “The Mark”.
16.1.2 Protected Area
The Protected Area is a corridor which extends from 10 metres either side of The Mark to 10 metres either side of, and 5-metre arc behind, the Player with the football, as illustrated in Diagram 2. No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls “Play On” or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or following within 2 metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in the Protected Area must make every endeavour to clear the Protected Area immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back