Under 19.5 Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

It is already happening in WRFL in the Under 19 competition allegedly.
I don't mind a bonus for being best on ground or what not but don't like the idea of general payment of under age players, they are kids don't let them leave their own clubs for $$ at such a young age.

I also agree especially with moving to under 19s next season. Payments for 3 best players I think is reasonable. 250-150-100 is an example.

Changing the topic again. In regards to players not playing much u18's footy during the year and then playing finals.
Do you guys think 4 games should be enough to qualify and is 12 TAC Cup too many to over qualify, also is it fair that a player that has only played seniors can go back and play u18's in the final series e.g. Peter Ntalianis?
Interestingly looking at the goal per game average leaders only 1 of the top 5 has played more than 4 U18 games this year.

Last edited:
Changing the topic again. In regards to players not playing much u18's footy during the year and then playing finals.
Do you guys think 4 games should be enough to qualify and is 12 TAC Cup too many to over qualify, also is it fair that a player that has only played seniors can go back and player u18's in the final series e.g. Peter Ntalianis?
Interestingly looking at the match average goal kickers leaders only 1 of the top 5 has played more than 4 U18 games this year.

It's an interesting one. I think if a kid is good enough to be selected in the seniors this should not hamper his opportunity to go back and play 18s in finals. I guess it's what the coach decides. Would you drop another kid who has maybe played all year? Ummm interesting one.

In 18s div1 if Hillsides J.Sinclair goes back to 18s he will dominate. His going well in seniors..

On another subject what do we think about a club playing premier 18s (or 19s) if there seniors are in div1 or div2. Hillside appear to have very good 18s and 16s so could the league make an exception? Would Avondales 18s be better off in div1?

Structurally it's probably not ideal but it's an interesting one? Views?

I also agree especially with moving to under 19s next season. Payments for 3 best players I think is reasonable. 250-150-100 is an example.

If the format of the AFL Vic Player Payments Schedule stays true to it's current nature, then Under 19's will allow all players aged 18 and over to still get a match payment, but "officially" it would be illegal to pay the unders, from the way I read it. I'm not necessarily against it, though, not overly enamoured with paying players either. It will happen more often than not in the future though, so maybe Clubs should get ready to embrace it.

It's an interesting one. I think if a kid is good enough to be selected in the seniors this should not hamper his opportunity to go back and play 18s in finals. I guess it's what the coach decides. Would you drop another kid who has maybe played all year? Ummm interesting one.

In 18s div1 if Hillsides J.Sinclair goes back to 18s he will dominate. His going well in seniors..

On another subject what do we think about a club playing premier 18s (or 19s) if there seniors are in div1 or div2. Hillside appear to have very good 18s and 16s so could the league make an exception? Would Avondales 18s be better off in div1?

I do think the 18's/19's should be before the reserves and seniors but not if there are big standard differences between teams like there is at the moment.
Currently Keilor and Abers both have 2nd teams in Div 1 which is just ridiculous, while east sunbury are dominating div 2.
The best 10 under 18 team are not in premier division. Last year Douttas Stars u18's would have been super competitive in premier division.

Maybe a point system in place where the division your club is placed in is not merely up to Seniors Ladder position but a formula worked out based on ladder position of all 3 Seniors, Reserves and U18's/19's, obviously seniors being the the most weighted. Just a thought would change tradition though.

I tend to agree with this. The Hillside 18's are exceptional. They have a list that would not just cope, but prosper in Premier, and at the end of the day, aren't we meant to give these guys the best possible chance to develop. The AH boys have really struggled in the Premier comp this year, and for a number of years, and I'd suggest only a handful of the list is up to Premier. But put them in Div 1, and they would definitely get a better opportunity to develop. Back on Hillside, they have an exceptional group of kids in most age groups, yet seem to struggle to push through to Seniors (not sure why? players not going on? moving clubs?) So are they getting the best out of these kids by not giving them the best possible chance to develop. East Sunbury are another good example, where their 18's are a good bunch, and certainly belie their Seniors performances, and would most likely do well up a division.

I do think the 18's/19's should be before the reserves and seniors but not if there are big standard differences between teams like there is at the moment.
Currently Keilor and Abers both have 2nd teams in Div 1 which is just ridiculous, while east sunbury are dominating div 2.
The best 10 under 18 team are not in premier division. Last year Douttas Stars u18's would have been super competitive in premier division.

Maybe a point system in place where the division your club is placed in is not merely up to Seniors Ladder position but a formula worked out based on ladder position of all 3 Seniors, Reserves and U18's/19's, obviously seniors being the the most weighted. Just a thought would change tradition though.

I tend to like this idea.

On the off chance that Tullamarine take out Div 1 instead of Craigieburn, what happens in Prem next year if they can't get an Under 19 side? Bye?

I
On the off chance that Tullamarine take out Div 1 instead of Craigieburn, what happens in Prem next year if they can't get an Under 19 side? Bye?

I don't like the thought of a bye, plus how is a club going to compete in preimer with point system if it doesn't have any u18's coming up

I

I don't like the thought of a bye, plus how is a club going to compete in preimer with point system if it doesn't have any u18's coming up

I reckon one of the best things about our comp compared to VAFA and what not is the unity by having all three senior clubs play one after another. VAFA 19s can play at different grounds at any time of the day which doesn't work ideally for club bonding. The downside of that is you have huge margin differentials most weeks because you don't have the best 18s in EDFL playing each other is purely based on what the seniors do.

I reckon one of the best things about our comp compared to VAFA and what not is the unity by having all three senior clubs play one after another. VAFA 19s can play at different grounds at any time of the day which doesn't work ideally for club bonding. The downside of that is you have huge margin differentials most weeks because you don't have the best 18s in EDFL playing each other is purely based on what the seniors do.

Yeah I totally agree, gives the seniors an opportunity to get around the up and coming 18's and easier for 18's to watch their club play Senior footy. Hence why I suggested this.

Yeah I totally agree, gives the seniors an opportunity to get around the up and coming 18's and easier for 18's to watch their club play Senior footy. Hence why I suggested this.

Yeah not bad.. Something like that could work although I guess initially hard to implement.

Changing the subject again I know we talk about up and coming players a lot but what about some of the coaches?? Are there any real good coaches coming through the ranks?? Isnt the guy from Abers 18s going for like 5 in a row?? I know they usually have a strong list but surely he is doing something pretty special down there.. Thoughts guys??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah not bad.. Something like that could work although I guess initially hard to implement.

Changing the subject again I know we talk about up and coming players a lot but what about some of the coaches?? Are there any real good coaches coming through the ranks?? Isnt the guy from Abers 18s going for like 5 in a row?? I know they usually have a strong list but surely he is doing something pretty special down there.. Thoughts guys??

I'm really not to sure about coaches I believe Greenvale, Keilor both have new coaches this year in the u18's. Abers coach must be doing something right down there.

Changing the topic again to get some conversation flowing, who are each sides most important players come finals times?

Il start with Abers - Stef Rasinac, was one of the best in the rep game and a comp bnf winner, if he is at his best Abers will be hard to beat as he can dominate a game, both clearances as well as marking around the ground.

Keilor, Douttas and West Coburg/Marby most important players?

Changing the topic again to get some conversation flowing, who are each sides most important players come finals times?

Il start with Abers - Stef Rasinac, was one of the best in the rep game and a comp bnf winner, if he is at his best Abers will be hard to beat as he can dominate a game, both clearances as well as marking around the ground.

Keilor, Douttas and West Coburg/Marby most important players?

Abers have such a wide variety of guns but agree Rasinac is prob most important

Antovski is keilors best player which with him being out severely hurts there chances. But in terms of importance it would have to be Bonello. if he doesn't kick goals come finals time they will find it hard to win.

Douttas Brodie Myers will need to lift and do a huge amount of work for them to knock off a keilor or Abers and it will be interesting to see if there coach brings back ntalianis when he becomes available??

West Coburg maybe Rocco who from what I've seen is playing pretty good footy this year.

Also apparently in the Abers vs greenvale game yesterday greenvale were down to 15 players at half time so Abers agreed to play 15 on 15 to help them out. Don't see that happen to often these days. What has happened to the greenvale of last year??

Antovski is keilors best player which with him being out severely hurts there chances. But in terms of importance it would have to be Bonello. if he doesn't kick goals come finals time they will find it hard to win.

Douttas Brodie Myers will need to lift and do a huge amount of work for them to knock off a keilor or Abers and it will be interesting to see if there coach brings back ntalianis when he becomes available??

West Coburg maybe Rocco who from what I've seen is playing pretty good footy this year.

Also apparently in the Abers vs greenvale game yesterday greenvale were down to 15 players at half time so Abers agreed to play 15 on 15 to help them out. Don't see that happen to often these days. What has happened to the greenvale of last year??

Who are Abers variety of guns?

Think Antovski will definitely be missed by Keilor but they do have some good players to cover.
E.g Bagaric brothers

Douttas will definitely play Ntalianis in finals considering they played u16 players to win the flag last year, they will do whatever it takes to win it even if it means a player who has played u18's all year misses out.

Rocco a chance for comp BnF ? In a strong side but not heaps of players to steal votes from him?

Think Antovski will definitely be missed by Keilor but they do have some good players to cover.
E.g Bagaric brothers

Douttas will definitely play Ntalianis in finals considering they played u16 players to win the flag last year, they will do whatever it takes to win it even if it means a player who has played u18's all year misses out.

Rocco a chance for comp BnF ? In a strong side but not heaps of players to steal votes from him?

E.g Bagaric brothers

abers had 7 in rep team (dench Hickmott Farrell etc) and a few at cannons too!!

I have seen douttas have put down Noah balta played in the "thirds" to get him his fourth game to qualify. Hahaha what a joke. So if they make the grand final expect him to turn up. Really don't like how clubs can do that. Some clubs play fair some clubs don't.
Yeah bagaric boys are big ins as well as Riley ham and tonkich seems to be going well too.
But I think my tip for comp b&f this year is zac curmi
Rocco right up there too and agree not many players to take votes off him.

I have seen douttas have put down Noah balta played in the "thirds" to get him his fourth game to qualify. Hahaha what a joke. So if they make the grand final expect him to turn up. Really don't like how clubs can do that. Some clubs play fair some clubs don't.
Yeah bagaric boys are big ins as well as Riley ham and tonkich seems to be going well too.

Why did Abers and Douttas have so many in the rep team but Keilor only have 2? They were the top of the ladder at the time, seems strange?

Having Balta sit on the bench at the 18's game to qualify is one thing but to put his name down in the thirds the same weekend as him playing a futures game is just wrong. Hope Cannons go deep into TAC finals so that he cant play with Douttas at all. In saying all that, I am not surprise as I said before "they will do whatever it takes to win it even if it means a player who has played u18's all year misses out."

Why did Abers and Douttas have so many in the rep team but Keilor only have 2? They were the top of the ladder at the time, seems strange?

Having Balta sit on the bench at the 18's game to qualify is one thing but to put his name down in the thirds the same weekend as him playing a futures game is just wrong. Hope Cannons go deep into TAC finals so that he cant play with Douttas at all. In saying all that, I am not surprise as I said before "they will do whatever it takes to win it even if it means a player who has played u18's all year misses out."

i guess whoever selected the team just didn't know the players that well?? Surely there should've been more from keilor!!

And well said regarding the douttas comment!!! That is ridiculous and the edfl should do something about it.

I did notice a gv player from u/18 was dropped from seniors and played in reserves game?

I did notice a gv player from u/18 was dropped from seniors and played in reserves game?

I would assume that Shannon Grant wants to see him play against men rather than u18's. Good reserves form could see him earn his spot back in the side, or it could be because their u18's wont play finals but their reserves will.

Last edited:

You people wrote the book on disappointing kids.

Id expect Balta to play Seniors if available and Douttas still in finals. The other one is Martyn who has 'played' 3 thirds games and just 1 u18 game. No doubt will play finals if available.

BnF underdog for me is Brayden Schibeci from Marby Park, good foot skills and they go through him a lot, similar to Rocca not as many to steal votes off him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back