The Hitman

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Who has been he most over and under rated players of the World Cup?

In my opinion, El Hadji Diouf was the most overrated 'darling' of the World Cup. Somehow managed to make the final cut for the FIFA World Cup side for the forwards, but never actually scored in five matches. But hey, he has silver hair and is Senegalese, so he's in the best five strikers at the World Cup. Gimme a break...

Most underrated player for mine was Belguim skipper Marc Wilmots. Carried Belguim to the second round, and scored in each of their group games, as well as scoring the (wrongly) disallowed goal against Brazil which in hindsight could have changed everything.

I also think Ronaldinho's tournament was grossly overrated. One game doesn't make a World Cup, and while he was the man who beat England, that was one match and he did nothing in the other matches.

The Hitman

Agree about Wilmots, nothing flashy but consistently up there creating chances and scoring opportunities. Be interesting to see how he would perform in the EPL, he seems the type of player that would do well in England.

I would rate El Hadjhi Diouf as having a lot better tournament than you have given him credit for. Sure he didn't score any goals but he was the main creative outlet for the Senegalese. He was clear MOM in at least two games I saw (France & Sweden). Beckham would be my tip for most overrated player. He is good, but nowhere near as good as the media would have you believe. Admittedly it would be near impossible to live up to the expectations of the media in this regard.

Moomba

Diouf overrated? Keep your Liverpool hatred out of it. He was sensational. Senegal often played him as a lone striker and he managed it very well. All the other top strikers had good partners next to them, Diouf didn't have that. He was often marked by two or three opponents yet he still managed to go past defenders and create numerous goals for his team mates.

I thought Roberto Carlos was underrated. Commentators criticised him all the time but i thought he played an important role. He defended very well (his supposed weakness) and he still managed to get forward and whip in some nice crosses every game. His long balls across the park to Cafu were a delight to watch. He was very solid IMHO.

Beckham played one good half, but i guess he can be excused because of his injury.

Michael Owen was a dissapointment IMHO. Two goals isn't a good return for someone of his class. The two goals he did score were from defensive errors. I know he was struggling with injury, but i think most players would've been after a tough season.

Juan Sebastian Veron played one good game then was invisible. In fact there were a few Argentinian players who were dissapointing. Batistuta (who is past it now) was awful. Ortega thought he was Maradona and tried to get past every defender.

Juan Sebastian Veron was the most overrated player of the tournament - did absolutely nothing after one good half of football.

David Trezeguet - absolute machine in club football, didn't even bother the scorers.

Hakan Sukur - I don't care if he got the fastest goal in history, he was a dog the entire tournament.

Underrated:

Brad Freidel - Was excellent the entire tournament, yet overshadowed by Rusta and Kahn.

Rio Ferdinand - Held England together at the back.

Damien Duff - Brilliant runs were really the main reason Ireland went so far.

Originally posted by Chris_23
Diouf overrated? Keep your Liverpool hatred out of it. He was sensational. Senegal often played him as a lone striker and he managed it very well. All the other top strikers had good partners next to them, Diouf didn't have that. He was often marked by two or three opponents yet he still managed to go past defenders and create numerous goals for his team mates.

He only became overrated when he signed with Liverpool :)

Not mentioning Veron's tournament Hitman???

I agree with you about Ronaldinho though

Diouf didn't score. He carried the ball a bit, and created a goal or two. I think there were at least three better players for Senegal in this World Cup (Dioupe, Cisse, and Coly). He is a striker, whose job is to score. He didn't, yet somehow he made the final cut in the forwards section of the World Cup side.

Overrated.

The Hitman

Originally posted by The Hitman
Diouf didn't score. He carried the ball a bit, and created a goal or two. I think there were at least three better players for Senegal in this World Cup (Dioupe, Cisse, and Coly). He is a striker, whose job is to score. He didn't, yet somehow he made the final cut in the forwards section of the World Cup side.

Overrated.

The Hitman

Hitter, Diouf didn't play as an out and out striker. He played out wide and without him in that role Senegal would have gone nowhere. They needed someone to create goals and he was their man. He would have been wasted just sitting in the box. He would have scored a couple but what would be the point if they got knocked out early?

In the qualifers and the African cup of nations Senegal could afford to have Diouf as an out and out striker and look at his goal record there.

I think Diouf will be a great signing for Liverpool but I guess words mean nothing, we'll just have to see what he does in the EPL.

Originally posted by The Hitman

Overrated.

The Hitman

Diego Forlan - overrated. Juan Sebastian Veron - overrated. The Nevilles - overrated. Need I go on? :rolleyes: How about letting go of your ManUre bias for 30 seconds and conceeding Diouf was a star of the tournament.

Originally posted by Smokin
I think some here are confusing "overrated" with "underacheived" or "disapointing".

That's what I think too.

Forlan and Veron weren't rated by the media during the World Cup. They (bar a few brilliant moments) played like sh*t. But that would be why they aren't being named in sides of the World Cup or as a top player during the tournament.

Diouf is, and he didn't to anywhere near as well as people think.

The Hitman

Damien Duff - Brilliant runs were really the main reason Ireland went so far.

I agree - duff played very well, he was one player in the irish team that wasn't afraid to take on the defence.

another underrated player was Hong Myung-Bo of Corea. his reading of the game was excellent and, apart from the sukur goal, was solid in defence throughout the tournament.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

Diego Forlan - overrated. Juan Sebastian Veron - overrated. The Nevilles - overrated. Need I go on? :rolleyes: How about letting go of your ManUre bias for 30 seconds and conceeding Diouf was a star of the tournament.

Forlan - Agreed

Veron - Agreed, but has his moments

BOTH NEVILLE'S???????? You've got to of ya tree :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back