Undervalued Cricketers

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy bichel. The perennial 12th Man. Publicly stated that it mucked his bowling up no end how he never got a test with Oz and yet had to sit there year after year mixing drinks while his best years flew past, missing first class games too. Undervalued, underrated and poorly treated

Andy bichel. The perennial 12th Man. Publicly stated that it mucked his bowling up no end how he never got a test with Oz and yet had to sit there year after year mixing drinks while his best years flew past, missing first class games too. Undervalued, underrated and poorly treated

He played 183 FC matches, and had a strike rate with the ball of 48.37. Can't have caused him to miss that much cricket or "ruined" his bowling too much.

People think of him as a bit of a goof, but James Brayshaw was actually a really good First Class cricketer.

Batting average of 43.72 (9 hundreds, 28 fifties) in 67 Shield matches, playing his last season (1996/97) before his 30th birthday, then pursuing radio full-time (was on breakfast radio in SA back in the mid-'90s).

Quality record during a strong era, and could have played another 5 years if a media career didn't beckon.

People also underestimate his media and business credentials. Sure, he often plays the clown in his on air media roles but he is a very successful & savvy man.

People also underestimate his media and business credentials. Sure, he often plays the clown in his on air media roles but he is a very successful & savvy man.
Less talented sportsman than his father, and less talented businessman than his brother.

Impressive that he’s fashioned a lengthy career in both then
The old man was a WAFL premiership player, plus 4,000 FC at 32 and 180 wickets at 25 for WA, including 10 wickets in an innings. Could play a bit (and was an outstanding journalist, writer and broadcaster). And big brother has had a lifetime in footy admin.

Not discounting JB at all, there probably wouldn't be a NMFC without him, but it's a particularly impressive family.

Martin Love - average of 46 in test cricket, 45 FC hundreds @ 50

Callum Ferguson - could've been a modern day Bevan in ODIs... Can't believe he hasn't got another crack at that level.

His knee snap came at the worst possible time in his career, he was poised to be a mainstay in the Aussie side for years. Sad really.

Another one underrated, so much so I’ve forgotten his actual name - Luke. Buttersworth. Could have played a lot of cricket for Australia if in his prime now I feel.

Another one underrated, so much so I’ve forgotten his actual name - Luke. Buttersworth. Could have played a lot of cricket for Australia if in his prime now I feel.

Was never good enough to play as a frontline bowler in the Test side (he was very much medium pace), and his batting was never good enough to play as an all-rounder/#6 batsman, either.

Career Shield record:

Batting - 28.17 average (3 hundreds, 11 fifties, 12 ducks)
Bowling - 24.61 average, 53.96 strike rate, 2.73 economy rate (8 5-fers)

Handy on helpful Hobart pitches in Shield cricket, but really didn't have too many tricks to his bowling (hence his rubbish limited overs record as well).

Thank god you're here. Didn't he develop a doosra?

Completely ruined himself in the process, too. Barely 30 years old when he played his last state-level domestic games (2012-13 season). I could be remembering wrongly, but I seem to recall him having a bit of a FIGJAM-y air about him, and feeling like he thought he was better than he actually was because he had "variations", and this perhaps contributing to his demise and non-selection/renewal by Tasmania/Hobart Hurricanes, too.

Even at his best, he was way too expensive and hittable for an off spinner in the long form. His Shield record (32 matches) - 50.75 average, 88.41 strike rate, 3.44 economy rate - says a lot about his abilities in the longer form of the game. Was reasonably economical and effective in the shorter forms, and could have had a bit more longevity in the BBL and so on than he did.

I really liked Hussey and he was clearly elite, and he’d be a colossus in the current line up, but I’ve got a feeling having looked into his career once before, that he had an awful habit (if you can say that about making runs) of saving his best work for when the going was good. The blinding exception to that was the Sydney test against Pakistan but unfortunately for all involved it carries a bit of an asterisk.

Edit: just looked, of his 19 test centuries, 13 came in innings where other batsmen scored centuries, and two more came when there was a 95 and a 99. Another was the Pakistan test, another saw 4 of the 5 batsmen before him pass 50. None of this makes him a bad player or anything, but he certainly thrived when the going was good, or someone else was assisting in the heavy lifting.

Plenty of Hussey's knocks came in precarious situations (at ODI level even more so) - it was just that he seemed to thrive in batting partnerships.

RE underrated cricketers that I don't think have been mentioned, Younis Khan deserves a mention. Not really pretty to watch but startlingly effective, particularly against spin. Did very well in ENG too.

EDIT: Mark Richardson was already mentioned I see.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to rate Heath Streak and Sean Ervine, when I barely got to see them as part of a triseries. People rated Vettori, but I always thought he was a mite underrated with the bat and the ball. Herath got a lot of kudos late in his career, but from the first time I saw him I was spellbound by his incredible ability to convince batsman the next one would turn.

People alwasy talk about Amla, De Villiers, Kallis, but Graeme Smith was an ugly, ugly bat who ruled that team with a lion's heart and an iron fist. Joe Root might be fresh off his first 5 for, but he's always been underused as a bowler and is waaaay better than how frequently he's bowled.

Probably more, but that's who came to mind for me.

Used to rate Heath Streak and Sean Ervine, when I barely got to see them as part of a triseries. People rated Vettori, but I always thought he was a mite underrated with the bat and the ball. Herath got a lot of kudos late in his career, but from the first time I saw him I was spellbound by his incredible ability to convince batsman the next one would turn.

People alwasy talk about Amla, De Villiers, Kallis, but Graeme Smith was an ugly, ugly bat who ruled that team with a lion's heart and an iron fist. Joe Root might be fresh off his first 5 for, but he's always been underused as a bowler and is waaaay better than how frequently he's bowled.

Probably more, but that's who came to mind for me.

Smith ftw.

What a player.

Sean Williams.
Absolute gun. 15 years strong at international level & still winning games for Zimbabwe. One of the few bright spots in their recent history.

Imran Tahir, who these days has crazier hair than ever...

326291.4.jpg

9 pages in and no mention of Brad Hodge?

Career FC average of 48.81, including 51 centuries and 64 half centuries.

Another victim of playing the game during an extremely dominant period for the national side, so admittedly it was tough to get a gig for a lot of great players... but when you score an unbeaten double hundred and average 58 odd after 5 tests only to then get dropped, well that's just bafflingly unfair.

9 pages in and no mention of Brad Hodge?

Career FC average of 48.81, including 51 centuries and 64 half centuries.

Another victim of playing the game during an extremely dominant period for the national side, so admittedly it was tough to get a gig for a lot of great players... but when you score an unbeaten double hundred and average 58 odd after 5 tests only to then get dropped, well that's just bafflingly unfair.

Absolute fuarkwit apparently which did him no favours. Don’t agree as should have got much more of a run regardless of personality but in practical terms it cost him.

Hodgey is a very annoying commentator sadly.

Simon Katich I like, both as an underrated gun and commentator.

Absolute fuarkwit apparently which did him no favours. Don’t agree as should have got much more of a run regardless of personality but in practical terms it cost him.

I've heard that too but I have to wonder how much of that is overblown. It's no secret that there was a pretty well established and arguably toxic "boys" culture in the team/administration and even in the years after a lot of the greats had retired this seemed to remain, with underperforming players continuing to be selected due to how well regarded or liked they were within the group. Maybe he was just a bit of a weird unit or didn't quite fit in, but regardless you're right in that he should have got much more of a run. I'm probably preaching to the choir, but personality should never come into consideration when selecting a player for a cricket team. Some of the games greats have been absolute flogs.

I've obviously never met Hodge personally, but after hearing him on the Gus and Gawny podcast he seems like a good enough bloke.

Can't say I've noticed Hodge's commentary that much. He predominantly does the Big Bash, yea?
Mostly from what I've seen he does the Big Bash. I just don't really enjoy his larrakinisn much. He's sort of like a more annoying, more bogan version of James Brayshaw

Brad Haddin jumps out to me. Came in after Gilly and was very reliable through an ordinary Aussie Era. Good Keeper and averaged 36.67 before dropping off late in his career.

Colin Miller - Not sure if he fits here (too young to remember) but fascinating player. Bowled pace and spin. Averaged 19.27 in 2000 calendar year and managed to win test player of the year in a dominant Aussie team.

On AB, not sure he is undervalued? He is before my time and known to me as an all time great. As far as the recognisable Aussie names go from before my time he's there with Bradman and Lillee. Even has our most prestigious award named after him.

I'm also in the Shane Watson was underappreciated camp.

Also, add to the list of 90's cricketers Darren Lehmann.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back