Discussion Unique/rare guernsey combinations

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a shame EFC have that in their constitution because a black sash on red looks amazing in my mind.

Is there a reason Essendon haven't just gone with the Richmond style inverse strip, red base and black sash? Is there something significant about the sash itself being red?

Yeah, it’s history / a point of pride. The red sash is the single enduring symbol from when the club started in the 1870s.

Our players wore whatever black / navy jumpers they could get their hands on (like all clubs), and from a year or so after the club was formed there’s documentation that they wore a red sash to differentiate us.

Nearly 150 years now and it’s the one thing we’ve always worn. It’s almost always been on black, probably some on navy blue in the very early days, and now later they’ve bent and put it on silver or red, but it’s still a red sash.

It’s varied from extremely thin to ridiculously thick, been straight, been droopy, had a seatbelt logo, been made up of poppies, or wheat, or indigenous designs... but it’s always been there.

Some of the more creative Essendon clash designs on here look good... but unless it has a red sash from shoulder to hip, it’ll basically never happen.

Regarding the constitution:

5 Uniform

The uniform for the AFL Premiership season will consist of a black jumper or guernsey with a red sash, red and black socks and white or black shorts. Such uniform will be worn at all matches subject to the rules and directions of the AFL.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Images/EssendonFC-Constitution-Dec-11.pdf

The second sentence basically says we have to wear what the AFL tells us. Such as when they cracked it over the fat sash and told us to wear another jumper.

It also interestingly refers to the “AFL premierships season”, so theoretically they could wear a different pre season jumper without changing the constitution. Not that they’d probably bother, it’s a pride thing now.

Did you know that the Essendon Football Club has a constitution of which states that every guernsey that represents the club until forever ends MUST have a red sash?

I didn't even know that clubs could have constitutions.

Every club has one as far as I know. It’s a legal document which spells out the rights and responsibilities (and liabilities) of members and office holders.

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=4530

They’re updated fairly often so unfortunately much of the kooky old stuff will have been deleted.

Did you know that the Essendon Football Club has a constitution of which states that every guernsey that represents the club until forever ends MUST have a red sash?

I didn't even know that clubs could have constitutions.

Pretty sure all footy clubs would have one. Heck my local amateur club has a constitution.

Resurrecting this thread with this beauty I came across after going down the Youtube rabbit hole tonight looking at some old Crows games. Its from the 2006 NAB Cup (we all know pre-season is where all the best unique combos hide) - Hawthorn v Adelaide in Launceston. Hawks in heritage/pre-season jumper and white shorts, Crows in red clash with navy shorts.

1581411682630.png

Resurrecting this thread with this beauty I came across after going down the Youtube rabbit hole tonight looking at some old Crows games. Its from the 2006 NAB Cup (we all know pre-season is where all the best unique combos hide) - Hawthorn v Adelaide in Launceston. Hawks in heritage/pre-season jumper and white shorts, Crows in red clash with navy shorts.

View attachment 821174

I liked that crows guernsey

perhaps I'm biased seeing it on one of my favourite players and indigenous players of all time

Regarding the constitution:

5 Uniform

The uniform for the AFL Premiership season will consist of a black jumper or guernsey with a red sash, red and black socks and white or black shorts. Such uniform will be worn at all matches subject to the rules and directions of the AFL.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Images/EssendonFC-Constitution-Dec-11.pdf

The second sentence basically says we have to wear what the AFL tells us. Such as when they cracked it over the fat sash and told us to wear another jumper.

It also interestingly refers to the “AFL premierships season”, so theoretically they could wear a different pre season jumper without changing the constitution. Not that they’d probably bother, it’s a pride thing now.

i think they did you a favour with the fat sash

This match-up is pretty ridiculous. Two light guernseys. 2008 NAB Challenge.

67648.jpg

Chalk this one down for a stupid match-up as well. That Hawks guernsey... okay in theory, terrible in practice.

67539.jpg
Did Melbourne have a light shade of silver of them shorts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back