Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically we are negative every quarter. And obviously you know it doesn't work exactly like that. You know yourself the stats don't lie and the bias is obvious
It's an irrelevant stat. The one you really want to know is how many incorrect decisions there were. And there's no way the AFL will ever tell us that.

So basically we are negative every quarter. And obviously you know it doesn't work exactly like that. You know yourself the stats don't lie and the bias is obvious
Why do you even bother? There's just no way you can convince anyone who doesn't go to Richmond matches to take the data seriously, let alone win them around.

It's just too difficult for most to conceive that there's anything sinister going on, and so much simpler and more palatable to deploy the cognitive dissonance associated with "all is well".

That said, with the bit of media attention to it this week, I suspect we're in for a great ride from the umps tomorrow night. I'm already feeling a tad sorry for the Doggies, who have way more on the line than Richmond atm.

Unpopular opinion: Marcus Bontempelli and Patrick Cripps are the most bland superstars the AFL has ever known.

Booing is the cringiest thing you can do at a game of football and I despise everyone who does it.
Half Baked Boo GIF

Why do you even bother? There's just no way you can convince anyone who doesn't go to Richmond matches to take the data seriously, let alone win them around.

It's just too difficult for most to conceive that there's anything sinister going on, and so much simpler and more palatable to deploy the cognitive dissonance associated with "all is well".

That said, with the bit of media attention to it this week, I suspect we're in for a great ride from the umps tomorrow night. I'm already feeling a tad sorry for the Doggies, who have way more on the line than Richmond atm.
Im sorry but why on ******* earth would the AFL be against Richmond, one of the biggest and most profitable clubs in the league. Why would they make this grand conspiracy with the umpire to make Richmond fail?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question. Maybe the last 150-ish? It's a decent sample, whatever it is.
Average four frees a game?

They could be anything. What are your guys doing wrong? Or right? More aggressive?

Im sorry but why on ******* earth would the AFL be against Richmond, one of the biggest and most profitable clubs in the league. Why would they make this grand conspiracy with the umpire to make Richmond fail?

The AFL just didnt want a double dynasty on their hands. The shady cabal of the other 17 clubs got together after a commission meeting and laid down the law to Gil.

It's the only thing that makes sense!

Average four frees a game?

They could be anything. What are your guys doing wrong? Or right? More aggressive?
There doesn't appear to be much of a disparity in "frees against", so it essentially rules out the aggression/discipline thing.

The data however shows a massive deficit in "frees for" for Richmond.

The differential thing is revealing as it suggests in games where "that sort of thing is being paid" (i.e. high tackles, HTB, deliberates, chopping arms etc) that Richmond don't seem to be the recipient as much as their opponent.

Anyway, it's not a hill I'm going to die on. This line of thinking is never going to sit well with oppo supporters, so it's a hiding to nothing. It just seems incongruous, when we all know how these things have historically evened themselves up pretty quickly. It's like spinning 0 or 00 in six of the last seven years.

No it isn’t. All that’s obvious is the stats. There could be any number of reasons for it.
Keep being in denial , like you wouldn't be suss if this was your team. Actually your point of view proves my point.

The afl and afl fans in general have this immediate anger and dismissive attitude towards Richmond when we were good

It was a oh they won't make finals , oh they won't win the flag , oh they can't win another , oh they get helped by umps , this type of attitude obviously has led to a bias against us with umps , where the hate for us so is so big that their natural instinct is to pay frees against us .

Just like how umps treat guys like ginnavan differently. We as a team get treated differently.

So the fact you won't even agree and see a strange bias against us basically proves my point. The umps themselves and afl probably thinks the same

The AFL just didnt want a double dynasty on their hands. The shady cabal of the other 17 clubs got together after a commission meeting and laid down the law to Gil.

It's the only thing that makes sense!
That is actually true. The stand rule was bought in because of how we manned the mark. We are basically the only team the afl has actively tried to stop which makes our dynasty a whole lot greater than any other side in history.

Keep being in denial , like you wouldn't be suss if this was your team. Actually your point of view proves my point.

The afl and afl fans in general have this immediate anger and dismissive attitude towards Richmond when we were good

It was a oh they won't make finals , oh they won't win the flag , oh they can't win another , oh they get helped by umps , this type of attitude obviously has led to a bias against us with umps , where the hate for us so is so big that their natural instinct is to pay frees against us .

Just like how umps treat guys like ginnavan differently. We as a team get treated differently.

So the fact you won't even agree and see a strange bias against us basically proves my point. The umps themselves and afl probably thinks the same

Agree with what? That you see a conspiracy and I see numbers?

Yeah sorry but I see a team at Geelong that is the only one who can’t play finals in its home town.

I don’t see a conspiracy though. I just see a fact. It’s not a global attempt to keep my team under the thumb, it’s just how it is.

I will ask again because no Tigers fan seems to ever, ever want to answer this.

As a club with, along with Carlton, easily the biggest financial upside for the AFL when they are successful - ie. a huge but fair weather fan base, why would there be a conscious effort to stop you thriving

That is actually true. The stand rule was bought in because of how we manned the mark. We are basically the only team the afl has actively tried to stop which makes our dynasty a whole lot greater than any other side in history.

Yes I can’t think of any teams where they altered the father-son rule, or any teams where they altered the third man up rule, or anything like that.

Yes I can’t think of any teams where they altered the father-son rule, or any teams where they altered the third man up rule, or anything like that.
Yeah can't think of any team they altered the rushed behind rule for...

Or any team that got a trading ban despite not actually breaking any rules whilst contending...

Edit: or any team they changed free kicks for taking out players behind play to deny overlap run...

Agree with what? That you see a conspiracy and I see numbers?

Yeah sorry but I see a team at Geelong that is the only one who can’t play finals in its home town.

I don’t see a conspiracy though. I just see a fact. It’s not a global attempt to keep my team under the thumb, it’s just how it is.

I will ask again because no Tigers fan seems to ever, ever want to answer this.

As a club with, along with Carlton, easily the biggest financial upside for the AFL when they are successful - ie. a huge but fair weather fan base, why would there be a conscious effort to stop you thriving

Yeah can't think of any team they altered the rushed behind rule for...

Or any team that got a trading ban despite not actually breaking any rules whilst contending...

Edit: or any team they changed free kicks for taking out players behind play to deny overlap run...
No guys, it's obviously a conspiracy.
Its pretty obvious that its hugely beneficial to stop Richmond from thriving because reasons

I agree. It makes no sense.
Also can you guys answer the question?
Its been asked a few times now and by other posters too.

Like why would the AFL have this grand conspiracy against Richmond when they're one of the biggest and most profitable clubs in the land. I mean its actually hugely beneficial for the AFL if Richmond are going well cos they bring in big crowds, tv ratings, news etc. So why would the AFL want to stop that?

Also can you guys answer the question?
Its been asked a few times now and by other posters too.

Like why would the AFL have this grand conspiracy against Richmond when they're one of the biggest and most profitable clubs in the land. I mean its actually hugely beneficial for the AFL if Richmond are going well cos they bring in big crowds, tv ratings, news etc. So why would the AFL want to stop that?
It's well known in the gold coast we pissed people off in there

Also Richmond before the 2017 were laughed and mocked by everyone and then when we became good it became a source of insecurity for everyone because they don't like the bullied kid tormenting them and hence subconsciously I believe everyone fans umps afl etc tried to stop it. But we were too good and won flags.

I believe in 2017 and maybe a year after that it wasn't that strong but as we became more successful the afl really wanted to put a stop on it , especially in 2020 when we really pissed them off, and as we aged the bias had huge effects on our results , it cost us games. Especially that elimination final in 2022 , that arc decision was purely s**t.

So yes that's why

Remove this Banner Ad

Back