Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Had 50 off 51 balls, and 100 off 105 balls, but then went from 100 to 200 in just 33 balls, and from 150 to 200 in just 12 balls. Remember watching it live on Foxtel thinking "Jesus, what have I just seen?"

The West Indies were bloody good entertainment in that tournament, even though they didn't make it out of the group stage. Gayle's big innings, then AB scoring 162 off 66 balls against them in their next match, and then Guptill scoring 237 off 163 balls against them in their final match. Even Gayle's 61 off 33 balls (including 8 sixes) against NZ was an awesome cameo.

They made the Quarters, Guptill's knock was in said Quarter Final

On the back of Peter Siddle discussing a possible return to the Australian Test team in the future, I've decided to look at the idea that he hasn't been as effective a bowler since taking up a vegan diet in November 2012:

Pre-Vegan - 30 Tests, 1,117.4 overs (19.27 overs per innings), 29.27 average, 57.32 strike rate, 3.06 economy rate

Post-Vegan - 30 Tests, 1,039.1 overs (17.92 overs per innings), 30.73 average, 66.33 strike rate, 2.78 economy rate

The thing that surprises me is that he's bowled less overs on average post-vegan, when the perception of him as an all-day workhorse has grown much bigger in recent years. Yes, he's striking less frequently, too, but he's also far more accurate than he used to be, and in terms of the role he's needed to play in the team, it could be that that additional reliability may be more useful than taking a wicket an over or two earlier.

That being said, I feel he's been surpassed in that regard by Josh Hazlewood and Jackson Bird (who can combine the accuracy and reliability with striking a lot more frequently), and with all the big names fit and firing, will probably struggle to play another Test for Australia.

Last edited:
On the back of Peter Siddle discussing a possible return to the Australian Test team in the future, I've decided to look at the idea that he hasn't been as effective a bowler since taking up a vegan diet in November 2012:

Pre-Vegan - 30 Tests, 1,117.4 overs (19.27 overs per innings), 29.27 average, 57.32 strike rate, 3.06 economy rate

Post-Vegan - - 30 Tests, 1,039.1 overs (17.92 overs per innings), 30.73 average, 66.33 strike rate, 2.78 economy rate

The thing that surprises me is that he's bowled less overs on average post-vegan, when the perception of him as an all-day workhorse has grown much bigger in recent years. Yes, he's striking less frequently, too, but he's also far more accurate than he used to be, and in terms of the role he's needed to play in the team, it could be that that additional reliability may be more useful than taking a wicket an over or two earlier. That being said, I feel he's been surpassed in that regard by Josh Hazlewood and Jackson Bird (who can combine the accuracy and reliability with striking a lot more frequently), and with all the big names fit and firing, will probably struggle to play another Test for Australia.

Siddle is also breaking down injured all the time in his more recent tests.

Post-Vegan - 30 Tests, 1,039.1 overs (17.92 overs per innings), 30.73 average, 66.33 strike rate, 2.78 economy rate

The thing that surprises me is that he's bowled less overs on average post-vegan, when the perception of him as an all-day workhorse has grown much bigger in recent years. Yes, he's striking less frequently, too, but he's also far more accurate than he used to be, and in terms of the role he's needed to play in the team, it could be that that additional reliability may be more useful than taking a wicket an over or two earlier.

That being said, I feel he's been surpassed in that regard by Josh Hazlewood and Jackson Bird (who can combine the accuracy and reliability with striking a lot more frequently), and with all the big names fit and firing, will probably struggle to play another Test for Australia.

More importantly WTF would he eat all day? I couldn't do it if I tried. Vegeo is one thing but vegan? I would starve. And frankly would rather than eating fruit and nuts all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing starc for this tour isn't the killer blow many think it is and on these decks where runs are gold those awful and expensive starc spells can be more game changing than anything good he produces, i actually think he's been pretty ordinary since he got badly injured while at home apparently resting.

As unbelievable as he's been in one dayers, he still only has the Sri Lankan series in the 'test series where he has been the dominant force' column

Losing starc for this tour isn't the killer blow many think it is and on these decks where runs are gold those awful and expensive starc spells can be more game changing than anything good he produces, i actually think he's been pretty ordinary since he got badly injured while at home apparently resting.

Dismissing Pujara and Kohli in the one over in Pune did open the floodgates in that first innings. Who knows how the test might have panned out otherwise.

In the second test I reckon his bowling was a factor in India getting away on the third evening, but again he brought the test back to 50/50 getting 2 in an over again.

I think it's difficult to quantify the effect he has on individual matches but I suppose the yardstick should be more about the influence he has on the rest of the team. If he's more consistent the other bowlers will benefit, so that's what his aim should be. But given that he's actually been pretty inconsistent so far on this tour, I agree his loss is not as big as some might think.

This one is an interesting one - wickets in hand aren't that important in T20 chases:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1085879.html

Enjoyed the article and made it's point very well. It challenges my perception as it has always seemed to me that just about the most successful T20 team in the world, the Scorchers have consistently appeared to follow a mature approach to T20 innings with fairly notorious cautious starters Marsh and Klinger finding a way to tick things over at around a run a ball before they click into gear and start to find boundaries at will once their eye is in. Guess the article is in the context of chasing totals though and Perth tends to bat first more often than not.

Enjoyed the article and made it's point very well. It challenges my perception as it has always seemed to me that just about the most successful T20 team in the world, the Scorchers have consistently appeared to follow a mature approach to T20 innings with fairly notorious cautious starters Marsh and Klinger finding a way to tick things over at around a run a ball before they click into gear and start to find boundaries at will once their eye is in. Guess the article is in the context of chasing totals though and Perth tends to bat first more often than not.

Yeah, all about chasing, but it definitely goes against the grain of common thought and challenged the way I look at the sport. Will be interesting to see if that analysis gets picked up by any of the teams...

Ian Chappell is a righteous dude.

Well yeah I don't think many would disagree that he's a sanctimonius campaigner.

Having said that he's speaking from some serious credibility and experience as a player.

Crazy idea - If it's the 4th day of a Test match, and and we're still not into the 3rd innings of the match, and there's been no time lost due to weather, if the team batting 2nd passes the opposition's total, it should be an automatic declaration.

Eg. if India reach 452 here in their 1st innings (passing Australia's 1st innings total by one run), then regardless of whether they want to keep batting, their innings should be over, and the 2nd half of the game should begin. It would at least encourage more results, instead of these types of matches petering out into inevitable draws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back