Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

This has been bandied about since I was about 10 (24 years ago).

Since Then 4 new test teams have come into existence and we get to see a better variety of player than we have in the past.
My oldest Wisden is 1912, and they worry about the sustainability of county cricket in Notes from the Editor. Cricket's demise has been a popular topic among it's fans forever.

One Day cricket is the real format that has problems imo. Outside of India and a World Cup every 4 years does anybody really care about it anymore?

Was actually thinking last night that it must seem ****in bizarre to people from countries like the US that know nothing about the cricket that we have not 1, not 2, but three versions of the same game.

Who has been pumping up Bancroft tires though, at least recently.

Plenty of people in the comments section of the Cricket Australia Facebook page (a fair number even suggest he should have Wade's role as keeper!). I know most people there are idiots, but he's still spoken of here as someone to "keep an eye on" in hope that he does well, too. Yeah, the hype isn't as strong as it was 18-24 months ago, but I thought he was overrated then, and he hasn't gotten any better since.

I also feel like people hold out hope because of the type of player he is. Again, the "purists" barrack for his type to succeed (Renshaw being a similar "hopeful" pre-Test debut), as they see it as some sort of victory over the modern game and mindset, and some sort of "up yours" to the selectors and the Channel 9 cheer squad. I doubt half the number of people would give a s**t about his success or failure if he was your "standard" 50-55 strike rate batsman.

Do you have any data of what his median looks like compared to others in the frame? This might support your argument a bit better then removing high scores and then judging an average.
I absolutely love medians as a statistic to be used in conjunction with averages! Sorry, just a little hobby horse of mine ...

One Day cricket is the real format that has problems imo. Outside of India and a World Cup every 4 years does anybody really care about it anymore?

Was actually thinking last night that it must seem ****in bizarre to people from countries like the US that know nothing about the cricket that we have not 1, not 2, but three versions of the same game.
TV ratings apparently tell a different story - still very popular. That's why they play so many of them.

Even that "monster year" in 2015/16 (732 runs in 17 innings) was an exact example of what I am saying. 3 centuries, 0 fifties, and a bunch of low scores. The tons boost his average and con people into thinking he's regularly scoring well; 431 of his runs came in three innings. Take out the tons, and his average that year was 23.54.
I like this criticism and logic. Consistency is far more valuable.
Shame about many not seeing that same point with Stokes.

I like this criticism and logic. Consistency is far more valuable.
Shame about many not seeing that same point with Stokes.

Well, if there's ever a type of player you're going to accept and even expect that type of thing from, it's you're attacking talismanic all-rounder like Stokes, rather than a grafting opening batsman.

If we'd had used Shane Watson in the same way (if his body had allowed him to bowl more, too), instead of expecting him to open the batting or produce like a proper Test batsman, he might not have nearly been so maligned.

Well, if there's ever a type of player you're going to accept and even expect that type of thing from, it's you're attacking talismanic all-rounder like Stokes, rather than a grafting opening batsman.

If we'd had used Shane Watson in the same way (if his body had allowed him to bowl more, too), instead of expecting him to open the batting or produce like a proper Test batsman, he might not have nearly been so maligned.
I understand that is the type of player that is inconsistent, just didn't agree with the glee that he's out, I don't fear him tearing the series apart.
We can manage one good innings a series and one wondrous spell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that is the type of player that is inconsistent, just didn't agree with the glee that he's out, I don't fear him tearing the series apart.
We can manage one good innings a series and one wondrous spell.

I think its moreso the notion that he might turn it on for an extended period (eg. Botham in 1981, Flintoff in 2005), and have that one golden series that sinks us.

Stokes is also in very good form in Test cricket in 2017 - averaging 43.91 with the bat (2 centuries and 4 fifties in 12 innings), and 31.31 with the ball (with 1 5-fer, and a strike rate of 58.69), indicating that he might be close to "putting it all together" on a more consistent basis, and having that big series where he dominates all-round.

Last edited:
Just to emphasise my previous point:

Botham in 1981 Ashes
Batting - 36.27 average, 93.22 strike rate, 6.39 balls per boundary (2 hundreds, 1 fifty, 3 ducks)
Bowling - 20.59 average, 2.57 economy rate, 48.09 strike rate (3 5-fers)

Botham in other Tests
Batting - 33.34 average, 59.00 strike rate, 13.04 balls per boundary (12 hundreds, 21 fifties, 11 ducks)
Bowling - 29.16 average, 3.02 economy rate, 57.82 strike rate (24 5-fers)

Flintoff in 2005 Ashes
Batting - 40.20 average, 74.16 strike rate, 9.03 balls per boundary (1 hundred, 3 fifties, 1 duck)
Bowling - 27.29 average, 3.37 economy rate, 48.50 strike rate (1 5-fer)

Flintoff in other Tests
Batting - 31.01 average, 60.88 strike rate, 10.57 balls per boundary (4 hundreds, 23 fifties, 16 ducks)
Bowling - 33.44 average, 2.93 economy rate, 68.25 strike rate (2 5-fers)

Stokes in 2017

Batting - 43.91 average, 63.77 strike rate, 10.23 balls per boundary (2 hundreds, 4 fifties, 1 duck)
Bowling - 31.31 average, 3.20 economy rate, 58.69 strike rate (1 5-fer)

Stokes in other Tests
Batting - 33.96 average, 63.82 strike rate, 10.57 balls per boundary (4 hundreds, 8 fifties, 8 ducks)
Bowling - 34.46 average, 3.41 economy rate, 60.70 strike rate (3 5-fers)

Stokes is rounding into that kind of form where he could fire up and have 2-3 destructive Tests, or even innings or bowling spells, that win The Ashes for England.

England are a weaker, less dangerous, and more predictable side without Stokes.

I'm still not convinced of the merits of international T20s.

There isn't any. Not enough room in the calendar.

I firmly believe that they should eliminate 'ODI status' entirely as well. Internationals between any two members of the ICC that go for 50 overs a side should be considered ODIs. T20s should only be domestic cricket.

Just to emphasise my previous point:

Botham in 1981 Ashes
Batting - 36.27 average, 93.22 strike rate, 6.39 balls per boundary (2 hundreds, 1 fifty, 3 ducks)
Bowling - 20.59 average, 2.57 economy rate, 48.09 strike rate (3 5-fers)

Botham in other Tests
Batting - 33.34 average, 59.00 strike rate, 13.04 balls per boundary (12 hundreds, 21 fifties, 11 ducks)
Bowling - 29.16 average, 3.02 economy rate, 57.82 strike rate (24 5-fers)

Flintoff in 2005 Ashes
Batting - 40.20 average, 74.16 strike rate, 9.03 balls per boundary (1 hundred, 3 fifties, 1 duck)
Bowling - 27.29 average, 3.37 economy rate, 48.50 strike rate (1 5-fer)

Flintoff in other Tests
Batting - 31.01 average, 60.88 strike rate, 10.57 balls per boundary (4 hundreds, 23 fifties, 16 ducks)
Bowling - 33.44 average, 2.93 economy rate, 68.25 strike rate (2 5-fers)

Stokes in 2017

Batting - 43.91 average, 63.77 strike rate, 10.23 balls per boundary (2 hundreds, 4 fifties, 1 duck)
Bowling - 31.31 average, 3.20 economy rate, 58.69 strike rate (1 5-fer)

Stokes in other Tests
Batting - 33.96 average, 63.82 strike rate, 10.57 balls per boundary (4 hundreds, 8 fifties, 8 ducks)
Bowling - 34.46 average, 3.41 economy rate, 60.70 strike rate (3 5-fers)

Stokes is rounding into that kind of form where he could fire up and have 2-3 destructive Tests, or even innings or bowling spells, that win The Ashes for England.

England are a weaker, less dangerous, and more predictable side without Stokes.

This.

And he’s producing those numbers at a time when he’s regularly coming in after the top order have f***ed things up and bowling after Anderson (for most of the year) and Broad (likewise) have failed to fire a significant shot.

How? How is it far more valuable? I’m yet to see a skerrick of evidence to back up your argument.

Who do you want in your side, Chanderpaul or Lara?
We don’t agree. We never will.

I don’t fear him. I want him playing, 90% he’ll be BOG average, just the way I like the poms.

We don’t agree. We never will.

I don’t fear him. I want him playing, 90% he’ll be BOG average, just the way I like the poms.

I don’t care whether you fear him or not. I want to know why you think a player who performs ‘inconsistently’ (translated: every second test) over someone far more limited with a lower ceiling who produces mediocrity on a regular basis.

I don’t care whether you fear him or not. I want to know why you think a player who performs ‘inconsistently’ (translated: every second test) over someone far more limited with a lower ceiling who produces mediocrity on a regular basis.

We’ve been over this already.

I don’t care what he’s done in India or England. What he’s done is similar conditions is what matters and that’s not very much.

Hope they pick him, should make for an easy wicket for most of the series.

We’ve been over this already.

I don’t care what he’s done in India or England. What he’s done is similar conditions is what matters and that’s not very much.

Hope they pick him, should make for an easy wicket for most of the series.

You’ve been shown that he’s done the job basically everywhere with reasonable regularity so it’s an argument you’ve already lost.

That’s not what I’m asking.
I’m asking why you would rather take someone because they deliver mediocrity regularly rather than someone who delivers excellence but less regularly

You’ve been shown that he’s done the job basically everywhere with reasonable regularity so it’s an argument you’ve already lost.

I’m asking why you would rather take someone because they deliver mediocrity regularly rather than someone who delivers excellence but less regularly

Yeah nah. Has not consistently performed in Aus or SA.

And I’m not going to indulge your arbitrary point either. It’s pointless.

I can't be bothered to check if you're the same poster (sorry) but is this still a comparison between Lara and Chanderpaul? Because if so, Chanderpaul is certainly not mediocre.

I can't be bothered to check if you're the same poster (sorry) but is this still a comparison between Lara and Chanderpaul? Because if so, Chanderpaul is certainly not mediocre.

Not what I was saying. That was simply a question about who you choose if you’ve got two guys with similar figures, one of whom is a a regular but less prolific contributor, the other of whom is more erratic but produces bigger and better efforts when he does turn up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back