Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy Pierson is our best hope in terms of a genuine batsman/keeper
I think it's way too early to make that call. I like him, he's tidy with the gloves and definitely has the ability with the bat, but he's played 10 FC games and averaging 30

I think it's way too early to make that call. I like him, he's tidy with the gloves and definitely has the ability with the bat, but he's played 10 FC games and averaging 30

That's why it's an unpopular opinion.

I dunno, I just feel like he's the most likely of the current cohort to be able to juggle both. There are several that are genuine bats that are capable with the gloves (like Gotch) and there are a couple that look like seriously good glovemen that aren't there with the bat (like Harper).

I just feel like he's the best equipped to handle both disciplines

That's why it's an unpopular opinion.

I dunno, I just feel like he's the most likely of the current cohort to be able to juggle both. There are several that are genuine bats that are capable with the gloves (like Gotch) and there are a couple that look like seriously good glovemen that aren't there with the bat (like Harper).

I just feel like he's the best equipped to handle both disciplines
Sam Whiteman goes alright with both the gloves and the bat.

Australian Pace Bowler Pecking Order (when fit):

1. Mitchell Starc
2. Josh Hazlewood
3. Pat Cummins
4. Jackson Bird
5. James Pattinson
6. Chris Tremain
7. Joe Mennie
8. Chadd Sayers
9. Scott Boland
10. Kane Richardson

Behrendorf is the one you're missing there - if he could get a good, injury-free run at things, he'd be in the top 5 as well.

1. Mitchell Starc
2. Josh Hazlewood
3. Pat Cummins
4. Jackson Bird
5. James Pattinson
6. Chris Tremain
7. Joe Mennie
8. Chadd Sayers
9. Scott Boland
10. Kane Richardson
As others have said, NCN and Behrendorff likely jump in to the 6 and 7 slots. Very odd exclusions. 9 and 10 just pulling the mickey, I'd have thought.

Not sure how you can argue Tremain and Mennie are ahead of Sayers in the pecking order given he made the squad ahead of them.

EDIT: Just realised what thread we are in - carry on. But my points remain. :)

As others have said, NCN and Behrendorff likely jump in to the 6 and 7 slots. Very odd exclusions. 9 and 10 just pulling the mickey, I'd have thought.

Not sure how you can argue Tremain and Mennie are ahead of Sayers in the pecking order given he made the squad ahead of them.

Given this is an "unpopular opinions" thread, I think he was giving his own view on the top 10.

Which, to be honest, I find a little bizarre because, despite the existence of live streams these days, I doubt anyone is watching that much Shield cricket to be able to truly, earnestly rate Tremain, Richardson et al.

EDIT: Just realised what thread we are in - carry on. But my points remain. :)

I'm just offering my opinion. Nothing to do with what CA thinks or who they select in the Test squads.

NCN and Behrendorff never seem to be fit enough for an extended period. I guess you could say the same for Pattinson, but we've seen what he can do at Test level.

Tremain and Mennie's respective Shield records over the past 2 1/2 seasons are as good or better than Sayers as well.

Given this is an "unpopular opinions" thread, I think he was giving his own view on the top 10.

Which, to be honest, I find a little bizarre because, despite the existence of live streams these days, I doubt anyone is watching that much Shield cricket to be able to truly, earnestly rate Tremain, Richardson et al.

If we can't rate Tremain based on his Shield output (best strike rate of any bowler over the past 2 1/2 years), how can we rate anyone based on their Shield output?

1. Mitchell Starc
2. Josh Hazlewood
3. Pat Cummins
4. Jackson Bird
5. James Pattinson
6. Chris Tremain
7. Joe Mennie
8. Chadd Sayers
9. Scott Boland
10. Kane Richardson
Sayers ahead of Mennie IMO and obviously the Behrendorff/NCN thing.

1. Mitchell Starc
2. Josh Hazlewood
3. Pat Cummins
4. Jackson Bird
5. James Pattinson
6. Chris Tremain
7. Joe Mennie
8. Chadd Sayers
9. Scott Boland
10. Kane Richardson

Mennie and Boland shouldn’t be anywhere near that list imo. Prime examples of why selectors are paid to sit and watch games rather than pick teams based off purely number of runs or wickets. Both are no where near international standard imo.

Richardson shouldn’t be on that list if we are talking about test cricket but jumps up to about 5/6 if we are talking about limited overs stuff.

I might be biased being a West Australian but imo NCN, Behrendorff and Paris are just as talented as Jackson Bird (I’d still select Bird first) just far more injury prone.

The way I see it the three blokes we have in the side atm are clearly the best three quicks in the country. Pattinson and Bird lead a pack of bowlers also containing NCN, Behrendorff, Paris, Tremain and Sayers. If we are forced to pick anyone else in a test match Lyon and the remaining two quicks will have to take 18 plus wickets for us to win the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile let's dig deeper into his stats against non s**t teams against pace (windies and Sri Lanka).

He leaks more than a 90 year old and strikes as often as the Sherminator

His "leaks" equate to an extra run every 2-3 overs on average over someone like Hazelwood, at a far superior strike rate.

1. Mitchell Starc
2. Josh Hazlewood
3. Pat Cummins
4. Jackson Bird
5. James Pattinson
6. Chris Tremain
7. Joe Mennie
8. Chadd Sayers
9. Scott Boland
10. Kane Richardson
Mennie above Sayers is ridiculous

Mennie's selection in Tasmania last year is probably the worst test selection call of the last decade. Thats saying something.

Mennie above Sayers is ridiculous

Mennie's selection in Tasmania last year is probably the worst test selection call of the last decade. Thats saying something.

Fair exaggeration.
Henriques - done little if anything to warrant a spot
Any one of half a dozen spinners - Krezja, Ritz, Cullen, Beer etc. none of whom did a thing to justify a spot.
Doolan, Quiney, Bailey, Maddinson etc.

How could 200 wickets at 26, and a call up to the test team, possibly make him worse than any of them?

1. Mitchell Starc
2. Josh Hazlewood
3. Pat Cummins
4. Jackson Bird
5. James Pattinson
6. Chris Tremain
7. Joe Mennie
8. Chadd Sayers
9. Scott Boland
10. Kane Richardson

Since you qualified with 'when fit' - I would have Pattinson right at the top. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see that again.

Fair exaggeration.
Henriques - done little if anything to warrant a spot
Any one of half a dozen spinners - Krezja, Ritz, Cullen, Beer etc. none of whom did a thing to justify a spot.
Doolan, Quiney, Bailey, Maddinson etc.

How could 200 wickets at 26, and a call up to the test team, possibly make him worse than any of them?
Henriques selection was fine. Better than Mennie's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back