Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Dave Warner should stick to what he has some ability at and that's playing cricket. Leave the comedy to those who are funny.

2. Graeme Swann isn't 3-0 down in the Ashes series - his former team is.

3. Maybe old mate Brad McNamara had a chuckle and might be making mental notes about offering hilarious Dave a job at MMM when Warner's career ends.

If I ever hear Warner commentating I will seriously go on a murder rampage. He is one of the worst speakers of the English language I've ever heard

James Brayshaw was actually a pretty good First Class cricketer.

Batting average of 43.72 (9 hundreds, 28 fifties) in 67 Shield matches, playing his last season (1996/97) before his 30th birthday, then pursuing radio full-time (was on breakfast radio in SA back in the mid-'90s).

People see him as a bit of a clown in the media these days, with too much "boy's club" bullshit, and forget that he more than held his own in a pretty strong era of state cricket.

I haven't actually minded the few short stints of commentary he's done on the cricket over time, too, and would be happy if he became a more regular part of the Nine commentary team.

Batting average of 43.72 (9 hundreds, 28 fifties) in 67 Shield matches, playing his last season (1996/97) before his 30th birthday, then pursuing radio full-time (was on breakfast radio in SA back in the mid-'90s).

People see him as a bit of a clown in the media these days, with too much "boy's club" bullshit, and forget that he more than held his own in a pretty strong era of state cricket.

I haven't actually minded the few short stints of commentary he's done on the cricket over time, too, and would be happy if he became a more regular part of the Nine commentary team.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with you there.

I don't mind his commentary, but as host would take Nicholas every day of the week and twice on Sundays hence there's not really a role for him though I guess he fits in pretty nicely as a short format host for Nine.

His constant cries of OOOF any time someone hit a boundary was bloody annoying though.

I won't comment on his radio commentary but James Brayshaw is the worst Australian cricket commentator i have ever listened to on TV. Biased, ill informed, one eyed and sycophantic are just some words I'd use to sum him up. The thing is, he had a decent enough first class record which means he can't be clueless on cricket - especially when it comes to talking about batting. Instead he wanted to be one of the boys. I found him bearable when Australia's opponents were paying well as he then had to open his other eye and appreciate what Australia's opponents were doing well. I got a sense though it was through gritted teeth. Slats and Warnie have been quite decent IMO post Brad McNamara's departure - we'll never know what might have happened if Brayshaw called the cricket on 9 post Brad McNamara's exit. Extraneous fact - James Brayshaw has never commentated on Australia losing a test match.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been a largely boring Ashes. I'm actually looking forward to the ODI series before the Tests have finished!

Agree this series has been pretty ordinary. Really looking forward to the South African tour though, always good cricket played over there.

Agree this series has been pretty ordinary. Really looking forward to the South African tour though, always good cricket played over there.

I'm looking forward to England v. NZ too.

I am so ******* sick of hearing about the Marsh brothers. Yeah great story. But both were so ******* lucky to be selected its not funny. Maybe they and Ch 9 should pay homage to the selectors.

Someone is bitter.

I'd like to know if you carry the same chip on your shoulder for Lyon, Cummins, Starc who also were originally selected on basis of potential?

I am so ******* sick of hearing about the Marsh brothers. Yeah great story. But both were so ******* lucky to be selected its not funny. Maybe they and Ch 9 should pay homage to the selectors.
I’d say it’s equal to the ridiculous battering they’ve copped from flog fans for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back