Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like there are moves afoot to have test matches reduced to four days (they just had a trial one in SA I believe). I am the opposite, I would like to see timeless tests.

I hear this every so often - but then you have tests like the one that finished today. This Boxing Day test is the best argument I've ever seen against timeless tests.

Fitness permitting (and he's never been especially injury prone), Nathan Lyon has absolutely guaranteed himself a spot as Australia's #1 spinner in Test cricket for the next 12-24 months/the next 10-20 Tests. He's taken more wickets than any other bowler in Test cricket in 2017, so it shouldn't be even the slightest question, unless there's a sudden, inexplicable major downturn in form, and even then I'd back him to dig himself out and respond as he has this year (remember how much jeopardy his spot was in 12 months ago?)

Fitness permitting (and he's never been especially injury prone), Nathan Lyon has absolutely guaranteed himself a spot as Australia's #1 spinner in Test cricket for the next 12-24 months/the next 10-20 Tests. He's taken more wickets than any other bowler in Test cricket in 2017, so it shouldn't be even the slightest question, unless there's a sudden, inexplicable major downturn in form, and even then I'd back him to dig himself out and respond as he has this year (remember how much jeopardy his spot was in 12 months ago?)
Is this unpopular now?

The quest for perfection bought DRS on mate
Do you have DRS at your local games ?
Is their DRS on footy?
No
So umpires decision works just fine

All football codes have some type of scoring review or video system

Amateur level umpiring is not acceptable at the top level

At certain times and for certain players technique, team tactics etc can be ignored and you either tell them just to bowl fast (eg Johnson) or slog the crap out of it.

i.e. Given their position England should select Joss Butler and tell him to hit as many quick runs as possible. Their no 7s have done f all this series so may as well put a wildcard in there and see if it comes off. He could swipe and be out 1st ball in which case you lose nothing or hit a quick 80 and be a match winner. Look at what Broad did in Melbourne when he just whacked it.

NB: This is a max of 1 spot per side.

At certain times and for certain players technique, team tactics etc can be ignored and you either tell them just to bowl fast (eg Johnson) or slog the crap out of it.

i.e. Given their position England should select Joss Butler and tell him to hit as many quick runs as possible. Their no 7s have done f all this series so may as well put a wildcard in there and see if it comes off. He could swipe and be out 1st ball in which case you lose nothing or hit a quick 80 and be a match winner. Look at what Broad did in Melbourne when he just whacked it.

NB: This is a max of 1 spot per side.

I’ve been saying this about Martin guptill for some time.

The bloke hits them as clean and as far as anyone in limited overs cricket. Given that NZ, in an otherwise decent side, perpetually have one player just occupying a spot in their top 6 (its Nicholls at the moment), why not say to guptill ‘here, bat 5 or 6 and just smash it.’

The bloke hits them as clean and as far as anyone in limited overs cricket. Given that NZ, in an otherwise decent side, perpetually have one player just occupying a spot in their top 6 (its Nicholls at the moment), why not say to guptill ‘here, bat 5 or 6 and just smash it.’

I remember him as an opener and he couldn't handle the red ball or the pace off the wicket. But part of that was he had to play "technically correct." A move to 6 and just tell him to whack it could work.

Thing is when sides succeed at this they try include 3 or 4 and it ends in disaster. 1 spot to replace whoever isn't cemented and you lose nothing.

Can be a bowler as well. Like 13 Johnson. Harris = strike bowler Lyon - Spinner Siddle- Became a stock bolwer to tie runs up Watson - AR chop out option Johnson - 4 over spells just bowl like the wind.

Other option for England is some kid who can bowl 150km/h. Just get them in.

Sure they may try Crane (and should) but he is not the wild card who can take a game from the opposition in 20 mins.

It's amazing how beastly a batsman he could look against the white ball, then a week later he'd walk out to the middle in a test match and be made to look a goose by the same bowlers!

To be honest I think they've made a good call in promoting guys like Nicholls through the middle order, Guptill got a shedload of opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing how beastly a batsman he could look against the white ball, then a week later he'd walk out to the middle in a test match and be made to look a goose by the same bowlers!

To be honest I think they've made a good call in promoting guys like Nicholls through the middle order, Guptill got a shedload of opportunities.

He definitely got more than enough chances. He just always looked like he was trying to be something he isn’t.

I can’t believe they haven’t given Munro a go yet

Mmm, seems like a pretty unnecessary comment.
An exclamation point after the going home comment would have looked like banter

The waste of $$$$ follow up shows it's just catty and immature

Dave Warner disagrees

1. Dave Warner should stick to what he has some ability at and that's playing cricket. Leave the comedy to those who are funny.

2. Graeme Swann isn't 3-0 down in the Ashes series - his former team is.

3. Maybe old mate Brad McNamara had a chuckle and might be making mental notes about offering hilarious Dave a job at MMM when Warner's career ends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back