Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The mentality to respond immedietely after conceding (twice) was very pleasing. So many previous Arsenal teams collapse after moments like that.

Thought Saliba was outstanding again. This man belongs. Sure the OG is a blemish and goes down against him on the scoresheet, I must say Ramsdale's positioning wasn't great either. Speaking of Ramsdale, there's been a few too many "hmm he shouldn't have been beaten from there" goals this calendar year for my liking.

Late last year he was immense at Leicester, including that ridiculously good save against Maddison. He'd be pretty annoyed at the one he conceded against him this morning. If he irons out those moments in his game, this bloke could really be anything.

Xhaka again very very good. His positioning, knowing when to tuck into those spaces on the left, really allows Zinchenko and Martinelli to flourish. As much as I always ponder the mythical Xhaka upgrade, can't really fault him much and he continues to get the job done that Arteta wants him to.

Jesus could've had 4, Arsenal could've had 6-7. Such a pleasing flow of football when we click, very enjoyable to watch. Lots and lots still to do and develop, especially mistakes at the back. This is very very encouraging however, lovely to take that pre season form into the league campaign and produce performances like that. A real opportunity to keep piling up those points with a nice little run of fixtures upcoming.

Great performance.

Zinny and Martinelli are forming quite the partnership down the left. I love the fluidity the team is showing already too. When Zinny tucks in, Xhaka drops to LB, gives us so much flexibility moving forward. Xhaka has definitely won me over and is a key member of the team now and how we play.

Jesus was great, he probably should have had four or five.

As Glen said, Ramsdale getting beat at his near post is not great and it's now happened a few times. Maybe it's a concentration thing, I don't know. Needs to get rid of that out of his game though.

Been an enjoyable start to the season. Our new guy looking good and

832357_640x360_large_20220815070627.jpg

That graph doesn't show Auba scored 92 in 163 and won us an FA cup.

Guen should have also got us 40 million quid.

Not to mention we didn't sign Sokratis, PEA, Lichensteiner and Mkhi with an eye on potentially recouping some of the funds down the track. They were old and had no resale value.

It's a bit disingenuous to include them in the graph.

If not for the personality clash between Guendouzi and Arteta he's likely be one of our starting midfielders, or at least fetched big dollars.

Torreira was a good player that never settled.

Mavraponis was a flier on a random talent. Seems to have found his level and is a decent Holding-level kind of player.

It's very frustrating to read reports that signing a midfielder is likely contingent on flogging Xhaka. Ridiculous if true.

Why spend all that money on someone like Vieira, who doesn't play in a critical area for us, if by doing so it has impacted our ability to sign someone in an area we really need to strengthen? Tielemans is a bargain.

25 million for Tielemans or 30 million for Vieira? It's a no-brainer.

Two nice performances without our two best players from last season playing well is very encouraging.

However like Ozil, even when Odegaard isn't having the best game he can still have an impact with his deft touches and one-touch moves.

It's very frustrating to read reports that signing a midfielder is likely contingent on flogging Xhaka. Ridiculous if true.

Why spend all that money on someone like Vieira, who doesn't play in a critical area for us, if by doing so it has impacted our ability to sign someone in an area we really need to strengthen? Tielemans is a bargain.

25 million for Tielemans or 30 million for Vieira? It's a no-brainer.
Right now I'd be holding on to Xhaka. He is great for the dressing room and has a great partnership with Partey.

Yes there's absolutely no indication whatsoever of Xhaka departing. In fact, he's just been named formally as vice captain along with Jesus.

Would still like another CM, Tielemens would complement that midfield group beautifully. Still reckon it gets done late in the window, perhaps Arsenal are waiting to keep driving that price down, don't know for sure.

Right now I'd be holding on to Xhaka. He is great for the dressing room and has a great partnership with Partey.

I'd rather we keep him and simply upgrade on him by bringing Tielemans in. He's a younger and better player.

IMO there's not much point in selling him and signing someone else as El Neny will still be in the same spot in our pecking order.

I don’t even think Tielemans is necessarily that great. Good depth perhaps but not a starter.

We need good, experienced players for squad depth at the minimum.

Tielemans fits our profile perfectly: 25, experienced in the PL, good price and can play multiple positions (both Xhaka and Odegaard roles).

At worst for £25-£30m for a good squad rotation player that weakens our direct rival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our squad is nearly there - Runnarson out on loan. Bellerin looks to be out next. With them out the door, we're a squad of 25, including Saka, Martinelli and Marquinhos (u21), leaves possibly three spots to fill in the transfer window.

And then there is Maitland-Niles and Pepe who might also leave.

I wouldn't mind Marquinhos getting some gametime as a sub. Though maybe a proper loan would be beneficial for his development? Or would it be better for him to hang around the club and acclimate to life in London?

I think probably the latter would be the best option.

I wouldn't mind Marquinhos getting some gametime as a sub. Though maybe a proper loan would be beneficial for his development? Or would it be better for him to hang around the club and acclimate to life in London?

Hard one that. If Pepe stays them better off with a loan? If Pepe goes then should get plenty of mins... Hopefully.

Hard one that. If Pepe stays them better off with a loan? If Pepe goes then should get plenty of mins... Hopefully.
I think language is the other consideration... he'll pick English up quicker staying at the club. The suggestion is that he'll follow Martinelli's pathway, hopefully without the injuries. He does look promising.

I think he will stay for now, there’s plenty of minutes to roll him out in the EL. 6 group stage matches, league cup, u23s, lots of opportunities to play.

I’m keen to see more of him. Am of the view the club will then reassess a potential loan option in January.

We need good, experienced players for squad depth at the minimum.

Tielemans fits our profile perfectly: 25, experienced in the PL, good price and can play multiple positions (both Xhaka and Odegaard roles).

At worst for £25-£30m for a good squad rotation player that weakens our direct rival.
Probably a fair shout. I just didn’t think he had a great season last campaign but perhaps he was being disgruntled and fits our structure more.

Should offer them AMN in a swap. Might benefit both parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back