Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When you don't have a go to striker in a game of this magnitude you are on the back foot. If we want to compete at the deep end of these tournaments we need a world class striker.

Third consecutive season that the players look gassed in April. Not a great pattern that continues to repeat itself.

That 15 minute period out of nowhere in the first leg where Arsenal overcommitted and tried to blow the tie away, and gifting two goals a result, that’s the difference here. Otherwise it was a fairly even tie. The gulf in experience was telling though.

The last 15 minutes here encapsulated that. There was a glaring need to get progressive passes through the midfield. Zinchenko and Partey on the bench yet Mikel just didn’t act. Once again allows the match to drift away.

And that final 30 seconds, just wtf. Take the free kick from that spot. Or if it becomes a corner opportunity, at least beat the first man. That was poor by Saka, who I feel should’ve been off instead of Martinelli however we know Arteta doesn’t do that.

Yes I think from a Liverpool/Arsenal perspective, you’d want City to remain in the competition and have a CL semi final to manage along with their league matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garbage.

How to bottle an entire season in 7 days.

This is all my fault - I knew I shouldn't have allowed myself to enjoy watching the United fan cams post the Chavs game.

Squad looks tired. Arteta only really trusting about 14 players this season has really drained us. Work still to do in the off-season to fill out the squad.

6 games to go.

It’s a recurring theme. For all the investment and heavily curated squad that Arteta has assembled, it seems we get to this point of the year and it’s whittled down to 13-14 players.

Since that last international break, when Rice played 180 minutes for England, he just hasn’t looked the same.

It’s a recurring theme.

This. It seems like anyone outside of Arteta’s trusted inner circle is not even in the building. Team 115 can rotate players through every position. Only Trossard, Tomi, Kivior and Jesus are considered for the first team right now, which means Rice, Odegaard, Saka, White and the centres back are run into the ground. We add to the squad every year, but never really strengthen it.

This. It seems like anyone outside of Arteta’s trusted inner circle is not even in the building. Team 115 can rotate players through every position. Only Trossard, Tomi, Kivior and Jesus are considered for the first team right now, which means Rice, Odegaard, Saka, White and the centres back are run into the ground. We add to the squad every year, but never really strengthen it.

The stop start nature of players like Partey, Jesus, Tomiyasu, Zinchenko etc certainly don’t help this. Timber was an unfortunate injury that cannot be catered for. The others though really need to be expected to miss significant points of the season when squad planning.

From Timber’s integration into the team last pre season, he definitely seemed to be a first team regular. I’d imagine he would’ve played plenty of minutes on either fullback side, and perhaps could’ve covered for Saliba at moments. And perhaps allowed Kiwior some minutes in his natural centre half position for Gabriel.

The midfield though, I’m scratching my head on this one. The game this morning, similar to Villa on the weekend, it just drifted away in the second half. Partey would’ve been ideal. Or Zinchenko. It was glaring, yet he didn’t react.

Not for the first time I also feel Arteta’s blind spot for Saka prevents him for making the correct decisions. Saka is being run into the ground and his influence on the match was negligible. He shouldn’t have played the 90. Similar is now happening to Rice and Odeegard. Sure it’s not that simple to idly alternate your best key players.

However this underlines there’s still plenty of work to do in that squad to elevate the level, and mitigate the drop off when making these changes. Odegaard for Vieira, Saka for Nelson, these just aren’t viable enough options and clearly Arteta doesn’t trust a number of players he has available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back