Autopsy v dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Reidy praise?!!?

Someone check in on King please. I think his phone's been stolen...

I tell you what out of respect for 150 ill leave that there

Much of what I thought has been said already but a few thoughts:

Loving what some of the young guys give us. Particularly Wicks. I adore this guy. His chasing and tackling are some of the best I've ever seen from a Swan. He just doesn't stop. And he's got skill around goals (very classy left foot snap last night from a crumb). His pressure, to my eye, accounts for as much or more than when we've had 3 nominal small forwards in the side at times this year. McLean was really valuable too although his stats won't show it. Really clever player who I really hope they stick with. Natural footballer who knows how to use his body. Once he's fully grown into his body he's gonna be a bruiser too. Reid and Taylor as two very maligned players both were good too. Not huge numbers but looked active and made good decisions when called upon. Everything is that little bit harder for Papley at the moment but I thought he had a really good game as well, never stopped trying and was on the look out for teammates.

McInerney was stellar. When he's been in the side this year you could see him throwing his body into contests and working really hard so that wasn't new, but getting forward and either laying off goals or kicking them himself was a delight to see. Melbourne's pressure was woeful so I'll keep a little perspective, but it's indisputably exciting to see a 7-gamer have that kind of game.

Parker and Kennedy were excellent. As I and others have been saying, they are nowhere near spent forces yet. But I still hope the coaches don't ride them too much into the future as inside midfielders. We need to be steadily reducing at least Kennedy's role and expanding Rowbottom's and Florent's and Stephens' into the future as inside midfielders.

McCartin holds the answers to a lot of other positional questions imo. He looks so comfortable at CHB. I have no doubt he'll play more games forward at some stage - it could even be next week if Brand is brought in - but if he stays in defence, it could allow McLean to consolidate his spot as a permanent forward and Aliir to properly transition into a third tall interceptor long-term (which has always been the role he's most suited to). Mills and Rampe still to come back into the side and the coaches are clearly wanting to develop Melican so that'll be an interesting development to watch.

Good to see McInerney get some rewards. I still do not understand why he was dropped earlier in the season.

I still think it was part of his development plan. Horse has said before that they’ll send players back to the 2s as part of their development as necessary.

Imo his positioning since he has returned has markedly improved which is enabling him to get in space and use his pace as well as giving himself more time to execute his skills.

The handling of his development has been first class to date imo...

I have been a big fan since he has joined the club!

The lizard has fantastic acceleration.
Strong through the hips as well.

He reminds me of that alien dude out of John Carter. The one with the really long neck.

Loving what some of the young guys give us. Particularly Wicks. I adore this guy. His chasing and tackling are some of the best I've ever seen from a Swan. He just doesn't stop. And he's got skill around goals (very classy left foot snap last night from a crumb). His pressure, to my eye, accounts for as much or more than when we've had 3 nominal small forwards in the side at times this year. McLean was really valuable too although his stats won't show it. Really clever player who I really hope they stick with. Natural footballer who knows how to use his body. Once he's fully grown into his body he's gonna be a bruiser too. Reid and Taylor as two very maligned players both were good too. Not huge numbers but looked active and made good decisions when called upon. Everything is that little bit harder for Papley at the moment but I thought he had a really good game as well, never stopped trying and was on the look out for teammates.

McInerney was stellar. When he's been in the side this year you could see him throwing his body into contests and working really hard so that wasn't new, but getting forward and either laying off goals or kicking them himself was a delight to see. Melbourne's pressure was woeful so I'll keep a little perspective, but it's indisputably exciting to see a 7-gamer have that kind of game.

Parker and Kennedy were excellent. As I and others have been saying, they are nowhere near spent forces yet. But I still hope the coaches don't ride them too much into the future as inside midfielders. We need to be steadily reducing at least Kennedy's role and expanding Rowbottom's and Florent's and Stephens' into the future as inside midfielders.

McCartin holds the answers to a lot of other positional questions imo. He looks so comfortable at CHB. I have no doubt he'll play more games forward at some stage - it could even be next week if Brand is brought in - but if he stays in defence, it could allow McLean to consolidate his spot as a permanent forward and Aliir to properly transition into a third tall interceptor long-term (which has always been the role he's most suited to). Mills and Rampe still to come back into the side and the coaches are clearly wanting to develop Melican so that'll be an interesting development to watch.

The one area I think Mccartin needs to improve is contested marking. He gets his hands on the ball but doesn’t stick it as often as I’d like

I still think it was part of his development plan. Horse has said before that they’ll send players back to the 2s as part of their development as necessary.

Imo his positioning since he has returned has markedly improved which is enabling him to get in space and use his pace as well as giving himself more time to execute his skills.

Yep I am a fan as well.

Even in his forgettable debut last year he made position a number of times but was ignored.

When back in the NEAFL he played a bit as an inside mid. He seemed very happy tossing his skinny body around and was effective.

Stephens is a bit the same and I have enjoyed his physicality as well. Both these kids play as if they are 87kg bulls.

Yep I am a fan as well.

Even in his forgettable debut last year he made position a number of times but was ignored.

When back in the NEAFL he played a bit as an inside mid. He seemed very happy tossing his skinny body around and was effective.

Stephens is a bit the same and I have enjoyed his physicality as well. Both these kids play as if they are 87kg bulls.

I think mcinerney was dropped because he was tired and struggling to hold up in the tackle. He went backed, has worked on his strength and got refreshed.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The following players aren’t in my first selected side but I’m perfectly comfortable with them being selected.

McInerney, Melican, McLean, Clarke, Taylor, Wicks, Bell, Ling, Stephens.

Throw in the as yet untried Gould, O’Connor, Campbell, and Gulden and we’re developing some serious depth.

You can argue the selections, but the depth aspect remains.
We havent got Gulden or Campbell as yet and might have to give up a bit to get them.

I've been a supporter of Clarke's this year (relatively anyway) but I'm not sure his kicking has improved that much. Melbourne's pressure was so bad last night I don't know if I can trust that Clarke's disposal will continue in that vein week to week. But I love how hard he works and I'm sure he has been working on it so fair play to him. If he just focuses on playing within his limitations in terms of disposal and giving the ball to better kicks, he's got value.

I guess it's more about Melbourne being terrible than Clarke not improving for me. Want to see him do it against more than witches' hats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Stephens is being developed along similar lines. Give him a burst in seniors and be really clear on what he needs to improve on when he goes back to the reserves.

McInerney has made great strides since his debut (against Melbourne coincidentally) when he had one touch for the game.

I came back in this morning to post about Wicks. I know it was McInerney's day yesterday but Wicks looks like the quintessential Swans player in the making. A well disciplined, hard nut defensive player. I posted during the week that, if he can impact the scoring more, he'll be a real asset and it was nice to see him finish with that snap roving off the back off the pack.

I think Stephens is being developed along similar lines. Give him a burst in seniors and be really clear on what he needs to improve on when he goes back to the reserves.

McInerney has made great strides since his debut (against Melbourne coincidentally) when he had one touch for the game.
We mustn't forget that we are in unseen times as far as AFL is concerned, along with every day life.
We have been scheduled to play 4 games in 20 days I think if I heard correctly. Now this is particularly brutal for both the younger players & our senior players that struggle to get up after a 6 or 7 day break.
It can perhaps help explain why Parker & JPK were a bit slow off the mark last week against Port.
I wouldn't look at the ins & outs in this particular season as I normally would. This is a classic case of getting everything possible out of the list available in order to get them through this season. I have no doubt the shorter quarters have allowed us to hang on in these games we have won where we normally would cough up a goal or two in the last few minutes of quarters which in turn can turn into 30 point losses.

Great management of our players I believe is why Stephens has missed a few so that we can give him a go this week or next.

I came back in this morning to post about Wicks. I know it was McInerney's day yesterday but Wicks looks like the quintessential Swans player in the making. A well disciplined, hard nut defensive player. I posted during the week that, if he can impact the scoring more, he'll be a real asset and it was nice to see him finish with that snap roving off the back off the pack.
I think the value of the defensive small forward is becoming clearer. Holding the ball inside 50 for longer and interfering with how the the opposition moves the ball out of their defense enables the mids to 1) get a bit of a breather, 2) set up across the midfield 3) get a good opportunity to win a turnover as the ball is not coming out in a controlled way. We saw that last night where the Melbourne defense were forced to dump kick out, or simply had no options, and the well structured mids turned the ball and sent it back forward.

I think the value of the defensive small forward is becoming clearer. Holding the ball inside 50 for longer and interfering with how the the opposition moves the ball out of their defense enables the mids to 1) get a bit of a breather, 2) set up across the midfield 3) get a good opportunity to win a turnover as the ball is not coming out in a controlled way. We saw that last night where the Melbourne defense were forced to dump kick out, or simply had no options, and the well structured mids turned the ball and sent it back forward.
Another thing that i noticed last night when we were close to goal that there were no under 9 handballs , Parker taking the snap and the improving Wicks backing himself by taking the shot and on his left , even the great McVeigh would have tried to run around on his right , or panic handball to the feet.

Wicks is a classic example of how things will happen for you if you nail the basics. Easy to forget now but Ronke had nailed the fundamentals of being a small forward with good work rate, constant pressure and great positioning. Then he kicked seven goals and seemed to deviate from those fundamentals in favour of chasing another bag and trying to force things to happen.

Not that I wouldn't be thrilled if Wicks had such a performance, but I think the way he's quietly going about his business and sticking to his role every week gives me confidence he could become a staple of our forward line.

…. and therein lay the problem with Bell. No defensive pressure.

The thing that I like about Wicks is his concentration. Never seems to be ball watching, always seems focused on the task at hand when kicking for goal. It's an underrated attribute in footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back