Vale Graham "Polly" Farmer (10.3.1935 - 14.8.2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I just thought that as Polly Farmer is indisputably in the all-time best 22 (or best 20 as it was in his day), we should also not forget him here on BF on the day of his state funeral, held today in Perth
Well you say he was in the top twenty. If he wasnt in the top two , i,m not here. Cable would be in the top five. When he went to Geelong , the ruckmen like Nicholls used to punch the ball. Polly used his brains and palmed it or grab it and handball.I told my grandson yesterday that he,d grab it in the guts and fire a fifty metre handball to Goggin. He couldn,t believe it. As an East Perth fan , i was upset that the great man went to the mortal enemy, West Perth. This was like Pig Iron Bob going to the Labour Party. The Cardies were lucky that we had some brainless people running the club then

Well you say he was in the top twenty. If he wasnt in the top two , i,m not here. Cable would be in the top five. When he went to Geelong , the ruckmen like Nicholls used to punch the ball. Polly used his brains and palmed it or grab it and handball.I told my grandson yesterday that he,d grab it in the guts and fire a fifty metre handball to Goggin. He couldn,t believe it. As an East Perth fan , i was upset that the great man went to the mortal enemy, West Perth. This was like Pig Iron Bob going to the Labour Party. The Cardies were lucky that we had some brainless people running the club then

Nick was a good palmer of the ball as was Polly, Jack Clark, Blu Foley etc , it was the use of handball that Polly pioneered, grab the ball in the contest & handball it to the likes of McGill, Kilmurray & Paul Seal in the 50s. That style of footy lead by Polly rewrote the coaching handbook in the VFL in the 60s.

Vale Pol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back