Vale Kevin 'Cowboy' Neale

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

What a very sad past 48 hours for the footy community..

Cowboy Neale was around before my time as a fan, but a great player and character from all reports

Condolences to his loved ones, mates and the St Kilda Footy Club.

Alzheimer's is such a horrible, soul destroying disease..

A true character of the game larger than life.

Yes he was a physical player but he was also one hell of a footballer equally adept at playing either end of the ground.

I had the pleasure of meeting him when i was in my teens, what a personality, but underneath the hype and bravado was a genuinely true blue knock about guy.

RIP and Vale big fella.

What a very sad weekend for AFL football.

Great memories of this bloke. Pretty rugged fella, excellent mark, good kick, versatile, played hard, adored by saints fans.

I'm too young to have seen Cowboy play but by all accounts he was a great player and a great character and he is a legend at St Kilda.

Barry Breen gets a lot of attention for kicking the winning point in our 1966 flag but Cowboy's 5 goals was the real reason we won that flag.

Without him we would still be trying to break our premiership duck rather than trying to break our premiership drought.

Knew of him from his days as Captain Coach of Ainslie in the ACTAFL, I didn't know of his links with St. Kilda until a little later.

A tough full forward who led Ainslie to four Premierships in five seasons.

RIP Cowboy

Probably most famous for knocking Peter Hudson out in the 1971 Grand Final when Hudson was well on the way to breaking the season goal kicking record.
In fairness, he did kick 5 goals (out of 10) in St Kilda's 1966 Grand Final victory. A pretty significant contribution for a 21 year old.

But, yeah, I well remember what he did to Huddo in the 71 Grand Final. That's unfortunately how things often were back in those days. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back