Brownlow Brownlow 2023 LIVE Now - Congrats Lachie Neale!

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the better years, not a Judd/Cripps fiasco with excellent players getting votes on reputation and past performances. could've been Gulden or Butters, so many brilliant fair players had great seasons.

Gotta admit Neale did get lucky - particularly the three votes in the GWS match.

Then again, he was unlucky last year...so whaddya know.

Feel for the Bont - champion player, would love him on my team. He - again- got unlucky. Libba took too many votes off him early in the season.

Lachie is in a unique position in Brisbane - the best player in a team that is really good. Hence he just sucks up Brownlow votes like a hoover.

But the thing is...if Daicos didn't get injured, we wouldn't be here. He would have strolled it home.
Yes there are two kinds of luck.

The award is for fairest and best, Neale is an utterly fair star. I think he has a bit of competition in that side for votes, young guns like Flether and Ashcroft, workhorses like Dunkley and stars like McCluggage (just googled the count and it looks like most of them were overlooked so I could be wrong).

As for the injury thing, the great players get belted, not as badly as they used to but it still happens. Bont and Neale get thumped all day, play hurt and come up smiling. Very great honour for Daics to be in the top three with those two absolute stars, hope he gets to their level in years to come.

Neale is a genuine star and I have no qualms about him being a dual winner. He should have won last year’s.

Bont deserves one but no more than Selwood or Pendles did in their prime (they were also competing with prime GAJ, Judd, Swan etc - a totally different environment to the current day).

At the end of the day Bont has again been let down by the inconsistency of his club. Cripps won it last year in a team that finished 9th but that was a bit of an outlier with most recent winners coming from top 4 teams.

Bont can also single handedly blame Bevo for 2021, when he led going into the final round and Bevo played him mainly in the ruck in a game Wines polled the three in to win. If I was more cynical I’d assume Bevo is a betting man…
The illogic of when the team interests are blinded by individual wants. How perverse.

This thread is such a good little entree to start the week! Neale is that far above any of the players on the first page of the leaderboard it’s not even a contest. It’s like shelling peas for choc.
Seeing your posts in match day threads while lurking incognito made me return to BigFooty. Comments like this validate my decision. Thanks Elixuh. Never change.

Quite a few people on here acting like Neale personally snuck in and stole the votes off Bont, Gulden or Daicos. He was clearly as surprised as many other people. Anyone talking about any of these players being unworthy of recognition just doesn’t know football. The system is the issue. The Brownlow is a voting system with obvious weaknesses, often throws up results like this, and in any year there are probably five or six worthy winners.

Umpires can barely get crucial game decisions right and people are surprised they get this wrong? And should they even be doing this? The AA selectors are just as prone to strange selections sometime as well.

Well done to Lachie. Disappointing to others. I thought Bont’s season was outstanding. It is just the vagaries of a system not really fit for purpose these days.

At the end of the day, if daicos didnt get injured he would have won and neale as runner up and bont 3rd wouldnt have raised an issue.
Same as if instead of injured say daicos was suspended at season end.

Key message. Dont get injured (or suspended).

Well done harry styles - take a bow
GIF by Chelsea Handler

The illogic of when the team interests are blinded by individual wants. How perverse.

How is playing the best midfielder in the league in the ruck 'team interests'?

Bontempelli had 15 possessions and 4 hitouts while the guy who became AA ruck two years later in English played forward.

Oh, and the Dogs lost that game which ultimately cost them top four (they ended up making the GF anyway but that's not the point).

It was one of the worst coaching moves I have ever seen, even despite the fact it cost Bont the medal.

Honestly I'd disagree with that pretty assessment pretty vehemently. I think Neale has been crucial over the years to keeping Brisbane in the Top 4 and playing multiple finals over the current 5 year period.

I'd rate Neale as, if not the best, then certainly the most important player in the last 5 years and someone who has probably deserved 2 brownlows.
this

neale's rap sheet is one that is starting to stack up against some all time greats

3X AA
2X brownlow
1x Coaches award winner
5x B&F winner - will likely be 6x after this season has concluded
2x geoff christian medal

been the clear best player in a team that has been entrenched in the finals for the last 5 seasons now

anybody that has multiple brownlows and that many b&f's will be spoken about for a very long time

Jack Viney with 24 votes and deserved every single one of them. Not a single cheap possession in that lot. Neale basically goes missing for a full quarter so heads down to the half back back line to get cheap uncontested marks. And then holds the play up to get plenty of me time. He's not a top player in our league as the AA selectors correctly decided.

Seeing your posts in match day threads while lurking incognito made me return to BigFooty. Comments like this validate my decision. Thanks Elixuh. Never change.

Good to see you back Fev, you’ve been missed. I’m glad I can provide a laugh!

Jack Viney with 24 votes and deserved every single one of them. Not a single cheap possession in that lot. Neale basically goes missing for a full quarter so heads down to the half back back line to get cheap uncontested marks. And then holds the play up to get plenty of me time. He's not a top player in our league as the AA selectors correctly decided.

If Viney hadn’t have stolen votes off Petracca, petracca would have won the Brownlow with 50 votes. Bit selfish from Viney. Notice Brisbanes count, barely anyone except Neale got votes in our games, great team players.

If Viney hadn’t have stolen votes off Petracca, petracca would have won the Brownlow with 50 votes. Bit selfish from Viney. Notice Brisbanes count, barely anyone except Neale got votes in our games, great team players.
it's the brownlow...you're actually giving it credit? If Petracca won it, I'd still forget it by the next morning. It's a nothing award.

But the Brownlow doesn't matter! So who cares? :D (I'll ignore the sheer inaccuracy of the comment.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's the brownlow...you're actually giving it credit? If Petracca won it, I'd still forget it by the next morning. It's a nothing award.
It's the next morning and yet somehow you recall Neale won...

So you’re like Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates. Is that what you’re saying Danny? It explains A LOT.

yet viney's panic kick cost you the finals. go figure.

Bontempelli's problem wasnt Neale - it was that his team lost too many games and let opposition players shine. Daicos' problem was he missed three games. Petracca for mine voted well above his performance. I have no problem whatsoever with Neale winning. The only problem I have with him is next Saturday.

No it's not, wouldn't even be in the worst 5, with Woewoedin and Priddis being weird ones lately.
Even the second Judd and Pendles ones were weird, given for the year or two before, sort of cumulative Brownlows.

Liberatore was hilarious, he was a dirty little rat, great player but even before he was a scratcher ge wasn't "fairest" by any stretch of the imagination. Ditto for Dipper Diesel and Plugger, all filthy.

Even the second Judd and Pendles ones were weird, given for the year or two before, sort of cumulative Brownlows.

Liberatore was hilarious, he was a dirty little rat, great player but even before he was a scratcher ge wasn't "fairest" by any stretch of the imagination. Ditto for Dipper Diesel and Plugger, all filthy.

Yeah the last ones were a little before my time so I won't comment on it, my father hated Dipper with a passion though lol

At least with Judd and Pendles they were very good that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back