Brownlow Brownlow 2023 LIVE Now - Congrats Lachie Neale!

Remove this Banner Ad

How is playing the best midfielder in the league in the ruck 'team interests'?

Bontempelli had 15 possessions and 4 hitouts while the guy who became AA ruck two years later in English played forward.

Oh, and the Dogs lost that game which ultimately cost them top four (they ended up making the GF anyway but that's not the point).

It was one of the worst coaching moves I have ever seen, even despite the fact it cost Bont the medal.
Oh , you've switched arguments now. It's no longer about denying Bont the Brownlow.

Yeah the last ones were a little before my time so I won't comment on it, my father hated Dipper with a passion though lol

At least with Judd and Pendles they were very good that year.
Dipper was made of iron, hurt blokes on purpose but also by accident. Beautiful bloke off the field, and you'd have him beside you in the trenches. Williams was a star who got bashed so he sniped a lot in revenge. Plugger was a god of football and if he felt anger, you felt it too. Terrifying, anyone who ever stood up to him deserves a medal and a stint in the psych ward. All of them in the bottom 5% for violence on field.

Judd (2nd one) and Pendles had better years than the ones they won in, the umps make mistakes like all of us.

Dipper was made of iron, hurt blokes on purpose but also by accident. Beautiful bloke off the field, and you'd have him beside you in the trenches. Williams was a star who got bashed so he sniped a lot in revenge. Plugger was a god of football and if he felt anger, you felt it too. Terrifying, anyone who ever stood up to him deserves a medal and a stint in the psych ward. All of them in the bottom 5% for violence on field.

Judd (2nd one) and Pendles had better years than the ones they won in, the umps make mistakes like all of us.

Was different tyimes for sure, do enjoy the old games and GF's they have on Kayo, they are really good to watch. Imagine those players with the current rules with tackles and bumps!

Bont was my pick, the beard gets its own AA selection. Life's not fair and the Brownlow is flawed.

Priddis was fair and worked hard, not a complete joke, but a bit of a joke to be sure. Ditto Woewodin.

Was different tyimes for sure, do enjoy the old games and GF's they have on Kayo, they are really good to watch. Imagine those players with the current rules with tackles and bumps!
RIP Nick Daicos. Small fair players like Skilton came off with black eyes every game.

One of Neales biggest advantages is that the umpires don't seem to rate any of the other Lions mids. Dunkley and Clugga with 4 and 3 votes? Really?
Definitely worth a bit of scrutiny. Dunkley I can sort of understand as, by design, he tends to go unnoticed. It allows him to take a more physical and defensive presence (even if he does win a lot of the pill anyway).

McCluggage on the other hand was immense at times this year and in a very eye catching way. How is he only polling 3 votes?

What I don't get is. The umpires of old used to give out good votes to Rucks, Fowards and Defenders, with even less resources that the modern day umpires have. Yet why do today's umpires no longer recognize players outside of the midfield? And why is the award slowly becoming more favorable for players who run up cheap stats, with minimal impact, over players who play a high impact and high contested game?

This years count had more WTF? moments than I can recall in any other year. Would love the umpires who made the votes, to come out and explain why Neale got 3 for an average game? Why Phillipou got votes for doing nothing. Why JHF got 3 for barely touching the ball? Why Cameron got shafted for a 6 goal, 25 possession game. Why Dawsons massive mid season game didn't get a single vote. Why someone kicking 7 goals doesn't register with them. Why 42 possessions and two goals was only enough for one vote for Gulden, etc?

It is baffling how they can even come to some of their conclusions. Time to allow umpires access to full match stats before they even cast their votes. Amazing how the umpires of old had a better read on the game and individual performances, with less resources, than the umpires of today do, despite being "more professional" these days.

What I don't get is. The umpires of old used to give out good votes to Rucks, Fowards and Defenders, with even less resources that the modern day umpires have. Yet why do today's umpires no longer recognize players outside of the midfield? And why is the award slowly becoming more favorable for players who run up cheap stats, with minimal impact, over players who play a high impact and high contested game?
It's not the umpires, it's the game. We've moved from an open and more high scoring game where forwards (and defenders to a degree) can impact the ball many times a game to lower scoring games where the aim is to generate stoppage after stoppage after stoppage. It gives more time for midfielders to get to every contest, it gives more opportunities for them to get their hands on it too. It's no surprise that the guys getting the clearances are now the ones to beat. And that's even bearing in mind that great forwards still rarely won it in earlier days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Him and Newcombe. Bloke was polling in losses as well. The way he plays he only needs to have mid 20s possessions a game to poll heavily.

Newcombe is a moral to win one when Hawthorn come top 4.

First year the emergency umpire hasnt been in the room with the umpires after each game
First year umpires have been banned from looking up stats.
No wonder the votes were unusual.
There should be 3 umpires that solely watch the game from the bench that are invited into the room with the field umpires and assist.

Bloody Hell, Dangerfield looked old last night - Could be mistaken for a 50 year old

Worst brownlow in history. Voting has to be taken off these maggots , how can jhf get 3 for 13 disp and no goals LOL. Surely an enquiry must go into it

Nah. when he was getting interviewed on the red carpet, swear he's aged 10 years since July

Worst brownlow in history. Voting has to be taken off these maggots , how can jhf get 3 for 13 disp and no goals LOL. Surely an enquiry must go into it

Bergman mustve had a few kicks that game. lol

Hows Andrew Phillips getting 3 votes in a 12 disposal game? Gawn must be thinking what does he have to do.

This years count had more WTF? moments than I can recall in any other year. Would love the umpires who made the votes, to come out and explain why Neale got 3 for an average game? Why Phillipou got votes for doing nothing. Why JHF got 3 for barely touching the ball? Why Cameron got shafted for a 6 goal, 25 possession game. Why Dawsons massive mid season game didn't get a single vote. Why someone kicking 7 goals doesn't register with them. Why 42 possessions and two goals was only enough for one vote for Gulden, etc?

It is baffling how they can even come to some of their conclusions. Time to allow umpires access to full match stats before they even cast their votes. Amazing how the umpires of old had a better read on the game and individual performances, with less resources, than the umpires of today do, despite being "more professional" these days.
Even worse is that we had 4 umpires which should mean there is more opportunity to recognise players not playing 5 mtrs from the midfield ball and congestion.

There's one umpire watching forwards and one umpire watching defenders at all times. Why aren't they being recognised?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back