Vale John Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the last of that era of ‘Maverick Businessmen’ that ruled Australia in the 1980s.

His legacy at Carlton FC is an interesting one.

He basically cemented the arrogant, entitled, successful Carlton of the 80s and 90s - only to have his ‘old school’ ways of bending the rules (ie cheating) come back and tear that all down.

Debatably, he goes to his grave before seeing Carlton ever truly recover from the downfall of his time running the club.

yeah well if you’re too young to remember who the hell John Elliot was…this write up explains it all. Here’s a sample

Note: I strongly would advise all older Carlton fans to ignore this post and refrain from clicking link below lest it triggers painful and disturbing memories that might cause severe heartbreak.

“Another of Elliot's corporate schemes was to redevelop the suburban Princes Park at the same time that rivals Essendon and Collingwoodabandoned their suburban grounds as they moved to MCG to provide a big game atmosphere. Elliot knew Princes Park (also known as Pig's Arse Park) was not as popular as the MCG but he envisaged other clubs playing home games at the ground and Carlton taking a cut of the takings. Carlton spent millions building boutique stands; Elliot even named one of them the "John Elliot Stand" in tribute to himself. But Elliot's pot of gold revealed itself to be a white elephant. While the logic was sound as the AFL needed a second Melbourne stadium, there was no way other clubs were ever going to agree to Carlton being their landlord. Football is very different to business in that regard. Consequently, the Dockland’s stadium was built to be the second Melbourne ground, which forced Priness park to close as an AFL venue.”

He loved his Blues. He was president of my footy club throughout its most recent halcyon years. I have many fond and thankful memories of CFC during his time and president. I doubt those good times would have been possible if he wasn't at the wheel. RIP JE. Many thanks.

He loved his Blues. He was president of my footy club throughout its most recent halcyon years. I have many fond and thankful memories of CFC during his time and president. I doubt those good times would have been possible if he wasn't at the wheel. RIP JE. Many thanks.

I also believe your most recent successes as a club would not have been possible without him.

Which, IMO, says a great deal about Carlton, and a great deal about Elliot.

Neither of which are complimentary.

yeah well if you’re too young to remember who the hell John Elliot was…this write up explains it all. Here’s a sample

Note: I strongly would advise all older Carlton fans to ignore this post and refrain from clicking link below lest it triggers painful and disturbing memories that might cause severe heartbreak.

“Another of Elliot's corporate schemes was to redevelop the suburban Princes Park at the same time that rivals Essendon and Collingwoodabandoned their suburban grounds as they moved to MCG to provide a big game atmosphere. Elliot knew Princes Park (also known as Pig's Arse Park) was not as popular as the MCG but he envisaged other clubs playing home games at the ground and Carlton taking a cut of the takings. Carlton spent millions building boutique stands; Elliot even named one of them the "John Elliot Stand" in tribute to himself. But Elliot's pot of gold revealed itself to be a white elephant. While the logic was sound as the AFL needed a second Melbourne stadium, there was no way other clubs were ever going to agree to Carlton being their landlord. Football is very different to business in that regard. Consequently, the Dockland’s stadium was built to be the second Melbourne ground, which forced Priness park to close as an AFL venue.”

Always interests me if it could've worked or if the league shafted him and the blues. Ian Collins grudge or something?

Be interested to know what the Hawks deal was like. Blues absolutely shafted Fitzroy, so perhaps they were their own worst enemies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also believe your most recent successes as a club would not have been possible without him.

Which, IMO, says a great deal about Carlton, and a great deal about Elliot.

Neither of which are complimentary.
Selective revisionism. I say again, your mob utilised the brownies as deliberatively and deceptively as CFC. Your mob took advantage of a moratorium a short short short time before my club got nabbed. In any case, lets not talk about what history may say about my club. We both know history might have something to say about yours.

The point is, JE operated in an era where things were done differently, by your club as much as mine. It was a good ride.

He sent you broke ffs

meanwhile EFC invested wisely in non football assets and accumulating wealth
I deplore his conduct towards the end of his reign. He deserved to be deposed. But I don't and never have hated him.

The bigger the vision, the bigger the possible rewards, the deeper the possible fall. Mind you, there were other things that compounded the situation; we had an aging list, and were dealt an AFL imposed penalty that not even your mob copped as a result of the ASADA saga.

It was what it was. There was plenty of good stuff along that journey as well as bad.

Carlton supporters…every…single ..time

Never take ownership for their past atrocities..always pointing finger at others

And pretending you never tore down the Dictator John Elliot’s name off the stand ..never to utter his name again

Classy
I thought tearing his name off the JE stand was disgraceful.

Selective revisionism. I say again, your mob utilised the brownies as deliberatively and deceptively as CFC. Your mob took advantage of a moratorium a short short short time before my club got nabbed. In any case, lets not talk about what history may say about my club. We both know history might have something to say about yours.

The point is, JE operated in an era where things were done differently, by your club as much as mine. It was a good ride.

Congratulations on your ride.

I reserve the right to not mourn a rather s**t human being.

yeah well if you’re too young to remember who the hell John Elliot was…this write up explains it all.
I was too young to know who he was or what he was about. Even so, this episode of You Cannot Be Serious with him is one of my favourite interviews they've done. Very interesting insight into what went on with him and some really funny stuff in this. He has a demeanour that's easy to take in and listen to. 🐷🍑

You Cannot Be Serious | Episode 23
with John Elliott - Captain of Industries on Podbean

Last edited:
The colourful figures from the past are part of what made footy and certain clubs so great back in the day and he was one of the biggest, RIP Big John

Blues absolutely shafted Fitzroy, so perhaps they were their own worst enemies.

Yep. They were. Under Elliott presidency from 1983 until 2002, Carlton certainly gained a reputation as being less than generous landlords to clubs forced to seek alternative home grounds under the VFL-AFL's ground sharing arrangements

From their six year lease of Princes Park from 1987-1992, Fitzroy gained a small amount of income from perimeter fence advertising, nothing at all from other ground advertising, none from catering and a small amount from reserve seating. No wonder Fitzroy made losses every year – they were gaining very little income from their 'home ground' - and hadn’t done so since they were forced to leave the Junction Oval in 1984.

Over the head of Fitzroy, the AFL had guaranteed Carlton 22 matches at Princes Park from 1993-2000 irrespective of whether Fitzroy played there or not. Therefore at the end of 1992, when their lease ran out, Fitzroy had no bargaining power to negotiate a better ground deal with Carlton. When at the end of 1992 Carlton presented Fitzroy with a poorer deal than their 1987-1992 lease, Fitzroy had to either accept a deal in which they would make absolutely no ground revenue or consider a move either back to Victoria Park where they were unwelcome or consider a new deal offered by Footscray at the Western Oval.

The negotiations dragged on so long with Ian Collins and John Elliott (largely because of the AFL guarantee to Carlton - which meant Carlton didn't have to negotiate at all) that in 1993, Fitzroy played at Princes Park without a lease and at the end of the season, received a bill for $6,000 from Carlton as their 1993 revenue from the home ground.

By moving to the Western Oval, Fitzroy made an extra $400,000 per year. Fitzroy received all revenue from nearly all advertising space at the Western Oval as well as all reserve set revenue, all car-parking revenue, as well as having free access to all corporate facilities and all outer ground catering rights. A much better deal. Ironically after Fitzroy left the AFL the Western Bulldogs played the vast majority of their home games at Princes Park from 1997-1999, before moving to the Docklands in 2000.

So it wasn't surprising that other small Victorian clubs weren't keen on Carlton as a landlord and weren't prepared to support Princes Park becoming the second stadium in Melbourne to replace Waverley.

Met him a couple of times, quite gruff and stand offish with people he didn’t know . I did ask him the question as to why he always brought up Essendon when salary cap cheating was mentioned when he led the charge on the whole thing. He took it well and laughed it off. His wife at the time, Amanda, who had the Toorak house sold by Jack,without her knowledge, was one of the nicest, and most friendliest people I have ever met.

Yep. They were. Under Elliott presidency from 1983 until 2002, Carlton certainly gained a reputation as being less than generous landlords to clubs forced to seek alternative home grounds under the VFL-AFL's ground sharing arrangements

From their six year lease of Princes Park from 1987-1992, Fitzroy gained a small amount of income from perimeter fence advertising, nothing at all from other ground advertising, none from catering and a small amount from reserve seating. No wonder Fitzroy made losses every year – they were gaining very little income from their 'home ground' - and hadn’t done so since they were forced to leave the Junction Oval in 1984.

Over the head of Fitzroy, the AFL had guaranteed Carlton 22 matches at Princes Park from 1993-2000 irrespective of whether Fitzroy played there or not. Therefore at the end of 1992, when their lease ran out, Fitzroy had no bargaining power to negotiate a better ground deal with Carlton. When at the end of 1992 Carlton presented Fitzroy with a poorer deal than their 1987-1992 lease, Fitzroy had to either accept a deal in which they would make absolutely no ground revenue or consider a move either back to Victoria Park where they were unwelcome or consider a new deal offered by Footscray at the Western Oval.

The negotiations dragged on so long with Ian Collins and John Elliott (largely because of the AFL guarantee to Carlton - which meant Carlton didn't have to negotiate at all) that in 1993, Fitzroy played at Princes Park without a lease and at the end of the season, received a bill for $6,000 from Carlton as their 1993 revenue from the home ground.

By moving to the Western Oval, Fitzroy made an extra $400,000 per year. Fitzroy received all revenue from nearly all advertising space at the Western Oval as well as all reserve set revenue, all car-parking revenue, as well as having free access to all corporate facilities and all outer ground catering rights. A much better deal. Ironically after Fitzroy left the AFL the Western Bulldogs played the vast majority of their home games at Princes Park from 1997-1999, before moving to the Docklands in 2000.

So it wasn't surprising that other small Victorian clubs weren't keen on Carlton as a landlord and weren't prepared to support Princes Park becoming the second stadium in Melbourne to replace Waverley.

Let's also not forget the fact he tried to orchestrate a Carlton take over of North via our shareholder structure in the 80's in an attempt to pilfer our players and move them over to Carlton via the private ownership, along with all of North's assets.

He was infamous for the phrase “brown paper bags.”

Anyway a very passionate Blues man and a character of the game a bit like our Graeme Richmond.

I don’t think Graeme rorted the system though ,just mismanaged the club to his own detriment but gave us 4flags to show for it like John did with Carlton.

R.I.P. John “Jack” Elliott.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back