VAR Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I didn't realise until the past few days is that there will be no pitch side monitor in English VAR. Decision will be made by the VAR official alone.

To me that's a big no. If it does happen all communications in the VAR room must be recorded and made available to clubs. Reasons for decisions should also be made freely available.

One thing I didn't realise until the past few days is that there will be no pitch side monitor in English VAR. Decision will be made by the VAR official alone.

To me that's a big no. If it does happen all communications in the VAR room must be recorded and made available to clubs. Reasons for decisions should also be made freely available.

Do the refs currently make the reasons for their decisions available for clubs? If so then fair enough.

Since this thread has gone down a few pages, I thought I'd bump it. VAR has been a big topic at the start of this season.

IMO some may confuse VAR being bad when actually it's the rule that they disagree with.

I would suggest the bar is way way way too high when assessing missed penalties. The 2 overnight to Silva and Kane looked stonewall to me.

Would it not make sense for the onfield ref to consult the monitor for the subjective penalty calls. For all we know Mike Dean didn’t pay the penalty because he thought the defender had made contact with the ball. Once it was clear there was no contact he might of paid it.

Leave the rest of VAR to judge the clear non subjective decisions. Ie offside, handball while scoring a goal etc etc

I would suggest the bar is way way way too high when assessing missed penalties. The 2 overnight to Silva and Kane looked stonewall to me.

Would it not make sense for the onfield ref to consult the monitor for the subjective penalty calls. For all we know Mike Dean didn’t pay the penalty because he thought the defender had made contact with the ball. Once it was clear there was no contact he might of paid it.

Leave the rest of VAR to judge the clear non subjective decisions. Ie offside, handball while scoring a goal etc etc
Weren't people complaining after week 1 that var was being too precise in overruling things?

Handballs certainly are not black and white. VAR got it right with Kane, the ball moved to the right and Kane moved left. Sometimes those ones are given, sometimes not. If it was given it wouldnt have been reversed.
Handballs by the attacker are 100% black and white. Defender handballs would come under the penalty umbrella.

I beleive the onfield ref should be the one making the final call on penalty quesries as VAR doesn’t know why the ref originally made the decision he did. What if the ref was unsighted or blocked out by other players from seeing an incident. Then he has essentially not made a decision and hasn’t wanted to guess.

Part of it is VAR, part of it is the rules.

Offside isn't black and white with the ball being passed between frames so there needs to be an allowance for the attacking player imo.

The handball rule that we got done by last week is ok, but I don't think the premier league interprets it correctly. According to IFAB if you score with your hand it's ruled out. Or if you control the ball with your hand/arm and create a chance it's ruled out. The Premier League interpret that as if you touches a hand/arm in the leadup it's ruled out. Can't remember the exact wording of the law.

It may be their instructions but var rulings on penalties have been poor. The bar is way too high, and unless it changes I'd be surprised if a decision against an attacking team is overturned.

Interestingly, the premier league and PGMOL (Mike Riley) never wanted pitch side monitors. FIFA told them they had to have them but to date they've not been used. That has to be an instruction from Riley.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Debacle they just missed the Newcastle handball.
Look at the law and I think it's the right decision. But if that was the case the Lapprte handball was the wrong decision.

I think Riley interprets the law differently though.

Either way, one of the decisions was a total balls up by VAR.

Look at the law and I think it's the right decision. But if that was the case the Lapprte handball was the wrong decision.

I think Riley interprets the law differently though.

Either way, one of the decisions was a total balls up by VAR.
The wolves one in gameweek 1 was similar to the City one, so 2-1 either wrong or right. Who knows. They need to clarify ASAP

The wolves one in gameweek 1 was similar to the City one, so 2-1 either wrong or right. Who knows. They need to clarify ASAP
I suspect PGMOL.don't want people to know how things are meant to work. That way they can justify whatever decision their refs make, and boast about how good they are when the rest of the world can see otherwise.

So Mike Riley has admitted to four VAR errors so far this season. Penalty not given for a foul on Haller, penalty not given for a foul on Silva, handball not picked up for Newcastle's goal against Watford (could have cost Gracia his job) and the Tielemans red card not given.

Good start, reckon there's been a fair few more too.

So Mike Riley has admitted to four VAR errors so far this season. Penalty not given for a foul on Haller, penalty not given for a foul on Silva, handball not picked up for Newcastle's goal against Watford (could have cost Gracia his job) and the Tielemans red card not given.

Any offside errors? Surely that wouldn't be subjective like fouls are.

Any offside errors? Surely that wouldn't be subjective like fouls are.

The offside calls are subjective in a way. When was the ball kicked and which frame do you deem as the one used to make the decision.

I think they've made a few mistakes, not necessarily VAR but with the interpretation they're using.

Good to see they're encouraging the VAR to be more involved, not less, to prevent these errors in future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back