VFL VFL round 3 v Brisbane. Thursday April 6th 1:05pm @ Brighton Homes Arena.

Remove this Banner Ad

We where Nothing but Appalling this Afternoon. The Scoreboard actually was Nice as could lost by even a lot more.

Few Thoughts I have of this Afternoon Game:

• Allan use the ball well most of the Time where his teammates where the Opposite
  • Ryan did well Intercepting Marks
  • Steene Tried but Destroyed by Fort
  • Macrare got lot of Ball but ball use was not the Best
  • Harrison and Murley had no real Impact

Ruscoe was our best, I'd be confident he could fill a spot pretty easily at the top level, I think he's got something to offer. He should be trying to fill the hole left by Howe while he's out.

Fin tried hard in a midfield that was completely outclassed, he's pretty much a carbon copy of his brother but he doesn't cover the ground as well as Jack nor is he as collected under pressure. He's improving though I think and he should be ahead of Carmichael in the pecking order.

Ed Allan was and is good, knows how to perfectly weight a pass, he's a great size and he's surprisingly quick and agile. As I said earlier, I'd just be finding a way to blood him at the top level, he belongs at AFL level. Been a while since I've been able to look at one of our early draftees (NDaicos aside) and just gone, yep, you'll make it at AFL level.

Wasn't much else to write home about. Harrison does some good things, but struggles to consistently impose himself and he got routinely beaten by his direct opponent when he was around the ball. Ryan has a lot to work with, he's a likely type. Ginni is a mile off it, genuinely a bit worried about how everything has affected him because he really seems to be dragging his bottom lip; he definitely isn't showing the attributes of a hungry senior player out to make amends.

Ruscoe was our best, I'd be confident he could fill a spot pretty easily at the top level, I think he's got something to offer. He should be trying to fill the hole left by Howe while he's out.

Fin tried hard in a midfield that was completely outclassed, he's pretty much a carbon copy of his brother but he doesn't cover the ground as well as Jack nor is he as collected under pressure. He's improving though I think and he should be ahead of Carmichael in the pecking order.

Ed Allan was and is good, knows how to perfectly weight a pass, he's a great size and he's surprisingly quick and agile. As I said earlier, I'd just be finding a way to blood him at the top level, he belongs at AFL level. Been a while since I've been able to look at one of our early draftees (NDaicos aside) and just gone, yep, you'll make it at AFL level.

Wasn't much else to write home about. Harrison does some good things, but struggles to consistently impose himself and he got routinely beaten by his direct opponent when he was around the ball. Ryan has a lot to work with, he's a likely type. Ginni is a mile off it, genuinely a bit worried about how everything has affected him because he really seems to be dragging his bottom lip; he definitely isn't showing the attributes of a hungry senior player out to make amends.
Stop picky on my boy Carmi :'(

Was shouted down last week when I lamented our lack of young tall KP players. Sometimes people can’t see past the present we have 0 young keys, whether playing or injured and don’t mention Freddy because he’s no key size he’s a hybrid.
You were shouted down because you were making illogical claims.
If Begg, Dean, Krueger ( definitely KP size), we’re playing and Steene, Frampton (when Howe gets back) also playing VFL - there’d be complaints we’re overstocked with talls.
We got rid of McMahon because we had too many talls.
Injuries are our problem as was pointed out last week.

He's barely getting out of second gear, looks like a bloke that's blaming the world and pissed off he isn't playing ones.

Lions are significantly more experienced and hardened than us. We are also ridiculously low on key talls, our backline is very undersized. Ruscoe and Fin have been ok. Joe Richards isn't up to it, neither is Carmichael. I'd blood Ed Allan on Anzac Day, he's too classy for VFL, quicker we get him up the better. Not much else to write home about.
Oh, Steene is at least 2 years off, the concept of him playing tonight was absolutely fanciful.

People thinking we have good depth have been a bit fooled by our first two weeks; Lions are an example of a side with legitimate depth. Lyons, Mathieson, Ah Chee, Fort, Cockatoo, etc are all genuine AFL depth.
Genuine list cloggers also

Who are you dropping from the backline to put in Ruscoe?

Stop picky on my boy Carmi :'(

Yeah sorry bro, but he sucked ass. I'm not on him at all. He's extremely slow to react, gets caught on his heels constantly at stoppages, his tackling was poor, he scrubbed kicked it about 7 times. I just don't see it at all with him; country footballer IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sorry bro, but he sucked ass. I'm not on him at all. He's extremely slow to react, gets caught on his heels constantly at stoppages, his tackling was poor, he scrubbed kicked it about 7 times. I just don't see it at all with him; country footballer IMO.
I’m surprised Carmichael hasn’t kicked on - I thought with a preseason under his belt he’d be smashing it.

He's barely getting out of second gear, looks like a bloke that's blaming the world and pissed off he isn't playing ones.

Lions are significantly more experienced and hardened than us. We are also ridiculously low on key talls, our backline is very undersized. Ruscoe and Fin have been ok. Joe Richards isn't up to it, neither is Carmichael. I'd blood Ed Allan on Anzac Day, he's too classy for VFL, quicker we get him up the better. Not much else to write home about.
Oh, Steene is at least 2 years off, the concept of him playing tonight was absolutely fanciful.

People thinking we have good depth have been a bit fooled by our first two weeks; Lions are an example of a side with legitimate depth. Lyons, Mathieson, Ah Chee, Fort, Cockatoo, etc are all genuine AFL depth.
Lyons = 30yo
Mathieson = 26yo
Ah Chee = 25yo
Fort = 29yo
Cockatoo = 26yo

We delisted our older VFL players. Brown boys, Madge, Mayne, Thomas, etc. over the last 2 years.

You were shouted down because you were making illogical claims.
If Begg, Dean, Krueger ( definitely KP size), we’re playing and Steene, Frampton (when Howe gets back) also playing VFL - there’d be complaints we’re overstocked with talls.
We got rid of McMahon because we had too many talls.
Injuries are our problem as was pointed out last week.

These talls you named, don’t exactly fill you with confidence. I think the point still stands, we don’t have any KP players with real potential, only hope.

I like Ruscoe too. But he's a bit of a tweener. Not really a kpd or the pace to be a rebounder. He's good back up for Bruzzy or Murphy, but not sure what other role he could play.

Last edited:
These talls you named, don’t exactly fill you with confidence. I think the point still stands, we don’t have any KP players with real potential, only hope.
KP talls in the draft are a lottery - and history is littered with wasted picks on young talls. Eg McMahon, McClarty

So this idea that we would be fine had we taken talls in the draft is a spurious argument.

Last edited:
KP talls in the draft are a lottery - and history is littered with wasted picks on young talls. Eg McMahon, McClarty

So this idea that we should have taken talls in the draft is a spurious argument.

What a coincidence, I learnt the meaning of spurious a couple of days ago, but I don’t agree. For the risk of sounding like a broken record, I’ve always thought Hine has a weakness and that is KP players (in the draft), I mean he has been with us for close to 20 years, KP don’t grow on trees, but 20 years?

Great goal by Josh Richards in today's game. Seems to have some poise.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I like Ruscoe too. But he's a bit of a tweener. Not really a kpd or the pace to be a rebounder. He's good back up for Bruzzy or Murphy, but not sure what other role he could play.
I think he is your third tall, half back flanker. Value being I do think he can play as an undersized full back at times. On ball use, stats and skill Id have him ahead of Murphy. That said Murphy kills contest and allows us to reset which is not a stat but rightfully valued so I wouldnt drop him for Ruscoe and am a million % sure our coaches no more than me. End 2021 Ruscoe looked great at AFL level down back. Was very surprised Markov was ahead of him for this game given ruck issue and potential need to throw Frampton in ruck.

Macrae is the frustrating player for me. I think he could be a great AFL player but his disposal lacks polish.
Harrison I love. If he can injury free for 5-6 weeks will be interested to see the level he can get to.
Allan looks like an AFL player, Id be keeping him in VFL to allow him to develop.

Really hope Ginnivan isn’t on the Stephenson pathway

Stevo wasn’t the same after his betting suspension

Jack is just starting to look similar

I think he is your third tall, half back flanker. Value being I do think he can play as an undersized full back at times. On ball use, stats and skill Id have him ahead of Murphy. That said Murphy kills contest and allows us to reset which is not a stat but rightfully valued so I wouldnt drop him for Ruscoe and am a million % sure our coaches no more than me. End 2021 Ruscoe looked great at AFL level down back. Was very surprised Markov was ahead of him for this game given ruck issue and potential need to throw Frampton in ruck.
I think he's AFL relevant. Just has limited scope in terms of roles and we're well stacked for his roles ATM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back