VFL VFL round 3 v Brisbane. Thursday April 6th 1:05pm @ Brighton Homes Arena.

Remove this Banner Ad

You were shouted down because you were making illogical claims.
If Begg, Dean, Krueger ( definitely KP size), we’re playing and Steene, Frampton (when Howe gets back) also playing VFL - there’d be complaints we’re overstocked with talls.
We got rid of McMahon because we had too many talls.
Injuries are our problem as was pointed out last week.
Spot on. I think we’re one shy, but anyone looking at our current list profile without taking into account the shiteful run of injuries we’ve had to our talls is mad. The Lions are going alright injury wise and had only Fort and Fullerton playing today.

What a coincidence, I learnt the meaning of spurious a couple of days ago, but I don’t agree. For the risk of sounding like a broken record, I’ve always thought Hine has a weakness and that is KP players (in the draft), I mean he has been with us for close to 20 years, KP don’t grow on trees, but 20 years?
I think you’ll find as a general rule, no Club has a secret weapon offering guaranteed results in picking talls in the draft.

Last edited:

Really hope Ginnivan isn’t on the Stephenson pathway

Stevo wasn’t the same after his betting suspension

Jack is just starting to look similar
It’s a worry, but what he does have on his side is that he does actually work hard on the track and doesn’t coast on just talent alone. Something Stephenson still has issues with, even after over 5 years in the system.

I'm getting worried he will ask for a trade if left in the 2's
He’ll get games eventually as long as he continues to work hard. It’s still very early in the season, if he’s not getting a game still in round 15 then it’s probably time to start worrying.

He's barely getting out of second gear, looks like a bloke that's blaming the world and pissed off he isn't playing ones.

Lions are significantly more experienced and hardened than us. We are also ridiculously low on key talls, our backline is very undersized. Ruscoe and Fin have been ok. Joe Richards isn't up to it, neither is Carmichael. I'd blood Ed Allan on Anzac Day, he's too classy for VFL, quicker we get him up the better. Not much else to write home about.
Oh, Steene is at least 2 years off, the concept of him playing tonight was absolutely fanciful.

People thinking we have good depth have been a bit fooled by our first two weeks; Lions are an example of a side with legitimate depth. Lyons, Mathieson, Ah Chee, Fort, Cockatoo, etc are all genuine AFL depth.
Good cover but all of those blokes are the equivalent of Madge and the Brown boys. Some have been there for years and still can't get a regular game. Too good for the VFL and not quite good enough for the AFL. If you want to win VFL the flag it's good news when you have a bunch of "list cloggers" and they had a far more experienced and physically developed team.

Once again our talls have been badly missed due to injury and that places more pressure on each individual in the VFL and makes it tough when playing big bodied and tall players. It was the same issue last year. It was a team of midfielders for the most part by the end of the year.

The sky is not falling. As long as you have 6 or so players at the second level who look likely to be regular senior players in a couple of years you should not be too stressed about VFL results.

I think Harvey Harrison, Ed Allen, Mcrae, Reef, Steen and hopefully Krueger and Dean will be handy players in the future.

I would be surprised if that occurred and that would reflect poorly on him.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
How does it reflect poorly on a player who's not getting picked for seniors to ask for a trade? Isn't that the most understandable reason?

Unless you're saying Jack owes us due to his off season indiscretion. Disagree with that, unless the club also owes him because of his good 2022 season, in which case they're square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were shouted down because you were making illogical claims.
If Begg, Dean, Krueger ( definitely KP size), we’re playing and Steene, Frampton (when Howe gets back) also playing VFL - there’d be complaints we’re overstocked with talls.
We got rid of McMahon because we had too many talls.
Injuries are our problem as was pointed out last week.
No we got rid of McMahon because he was no good.
So apparently Begg and Steene are keys now not rucks make up your mind.

No we got rid of McMahon because he was no good.
So apparently Begg and Steene are keys now not rucks make up your mind.
I said talls - and I think I’ve made my point.
McMahon, McClarty fit your preference of drafting talls - and is proof that draft offers no guarantees.
Talls take a lot of time and Clubs lose patience eg Frampton, Wright or persist well beyond 2-3 years eg Mitch Lewis now in his 8th year.

We picked Frampton, Mihocek, AJ and drafted McStay - all hits. Proving that finding older talls is a safer bet.

Last edited:
I said talls - and I think I’ve made my point.
McMahon, McClarty fit your preference of drafting talls - and is proof that draft offers no guarantees.
Talls take a lot of time and Clubs lose patience eg Frampton, Wright or persist well beyond 2-3 years eg Mitch Lewis now in his 8th year.

We picked Frampton, Mihocek, AJ and drafted McStay - all hits. Proving that finding older talls is a safer bet.
I think one of the issues is you always ideally want to go best available with your first pick. With 10 players 30 or older at the end of the year 9 of which are best 22 and the 10th (Cox) best 26 at worst we have holes to fill in coming years.
We need to take best available or very close to and work ways finding that pot of gold key forward. We may actually have him in Ash Johnson who has gone up a level.

Not sure what people are expecting of GInni. He isn't a high possession player, most smalls usually aren't. Yesterday was tough for all the forwards given we got smashed.
He's upped his tackling, and reckon that would be pleasing. But he may be lacking a bit of confidence in himself. Time to dig it out somewhere Gin.

The experiience of the Lions felt very evident, compared to what we it felt like we had. Kids. Coming off a 4 day break wouldn't have helped.

Wilson was the hold over, he only played a half.
Our lack of a backline was very evident, no talls down there over Ruscoe's 193cm.

Last edited:
Not sure what people are expecting of GInni. He isn't a high possession player, most smalls usually aren't. Yesterday was tough for all the forwards given we got smashed.
He's upped his tackling, and reckon that would be pleasing. But he may be lacking a bit of confidence in himself. Time to dig it out somewhere Gin.

The experiience of the Lions felt very evident, compared to what we it felt like we had. Kids. Coming off a 4 day break wouldn't have helped.

Wilson was the hold over, he only played a half.
Our lack of a backline was very evident, no talls down there over Ruscoe's 193cm.
I would honestly just play him next week

Need some more x factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back