VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have signed former Geelong and St Kilda ruckman Ryan Abbott for their vfl side.

I understand fixture should be out either this week or next week although a VFLW fixture would be more of priority given that start at end of February

Updated Frankston Practice game fixture
Sat 20/3 vs Werribee at Linenhouse Centre,Seaford
Thurs 25/3 vs Northern Bullants at SkyBus Stadium (night)
Sat 3/4 vs Coburg at SkyBus Stadium
Fri 9/4 vs Essendon at The Hangar,Melbourne Airport

Aspley adding another signing in Matt Eagles

I understand fixture should be out either this week or next week although a VFLW fixture would be more of priority given that start at end of February

Updated Frankston Practice game fixture
Sat 20/3 vs Werribee at Linenhouse Centre,Seaford
Thurs 25/3 vs Northern Bullants at SkyBus Stadium (night)
Sat 3/4 vs Coburg at SkyBus Stadium
Fri 9/4 vs Essendon at The Hangar,Melbourne Airport

Pretty ordinary really. Its almost Feb and nothing.. Players, coaches and clubs can't put any plans into place for the season.

Pretty ordinary really. Its almost Feb and nothing.. Players, coaches and clubs can't put any plans into place for the season.
They'd have plans ready for most teams and scenario's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. It really can't be that hard.
Your talking the AFL here the competition will only last at best 2 to 3 years then it will called the AFL Reserves competition With the Eagles,Dockers,Port,Crows jumping on board with the 2 NSW and 2 Qld sides playing with the vic sides.
As for the VFL sides still have the VFL with some additions from the WRFL,EDFL,NFL,EFL and maybe a team from one of the Geelong Competitions or another Side from the MPFL.

Your talking the AFL here the competition will only last at best 2 to 3 years then it will called the AFL Reserves competition With the Eagles,Dockers,Port,Crows jumping on board with the 2 NSW and 2 Qld sides playing with the vic sides.
As for the VFL sides still have the VFL with some additions from the WRFL,EDFL,NFL,EFL and maybe a team from one of the Geelong Competitions or another Side from the MPFL.
I think you could be right but why not just call the local comp the VFA like it should always have been called

VFL season begins Saturday April 17
19 rounds - 16 games
22 teams - top 8

Attachments

• E422766C-934B-48C2-87EC-609EAAC74098.jpeg
    E422766C-934B-48C2-87EC-609EAAC74098.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 172
That is so disappointing.

I agree (especially if the disappointing part was referring to the name).

The VFL name doesn't allay the calls of #VICBIAS. The comp has six non-Victorian sides, possibly more later (theoretically Tassie and I hope a future Canberra team), all playing in a competition called the Victorian Football League.

Not surprised, just disappointed.

I don't see how this is "Vic Bias". The AFL Reserves sides Aspley and Southport joined the existing VFL competition, it's not a new comp at all. Even if it was, spending time and money to come up with a new name and logo isn't cost effective given the 2020 season didn't get off the ground, and most stand alone clubs are pretty much broke because of it. AFL Vic has also been pretty open about the fact that this season will be a transitional one, much like the 1996 season when the VFA merged with the VSFL.

I expect much more to change in 2022 or 23 when we've had a chance to see if this works or if the AFL needs to bankroll a full AFL Reserves and give the stand alone clubs in Victoria their own state league comp or just cut us loose.

I don't see how this is "Vic Bias". The AFL Reserves sides Aspley and Southport joined the existing VFL competition, it's not a new comp at all. Even if it was, spending time and money to come up with a new name and logo isn't cost effective given the 2020 season didn't get off the ground, and most stand alone clubs are pretty much broke because of it. AFL Vic has also been pretty open about the fact that this season will be a transitional one, much like the 1996 season when the VFA merged with the VSFL.

I expect much more to change in 2022 or 23 when we've had a chance to see if this works or if the AFL needs to bankroll a full AFL Reserves and give the stand alone clubs in Victoria their own state league comp or just cut us loose.
Seriously as soon as this comp is not viable the used condoms at the afl will drop the stand alone clubs that quick they will have friction burns on the fingers.The afl is only interested in looking after its own interest .

It was billed as a merger between the NEAFL and VFL. Still being called the VFL, it's more like a hostile takeover. The AFL changed its name after only three interstate teams, and that was a continuation of a league, but the new merged league can't do that with double the interstate teams?

The sentiment on Twitter seems to agree.

There are only six Victorian stand-alone sides (excluding ones with affiliations). If it is just a transitional season before separate reserves, you'd assume the standalone league will still need the non-Victorian sides. And Tasmania will join too. It would have made sense just to make it the EAFL from the beginning.

Making a new logo and name really wouldn't be that hard or expensive. They've had five months since the change was announced, probably at least a year since plans started rolling. It's just lazy.

It was billed as a merger between the NEAFL and VFL. Still being called the VFL, it's more like a hostile takeover. The AFL changed its name after only three interstate teams, and that was a continuation of a league, but the new merged league can't do that with double the interstate teams?

The sentiment on Twitter seems to agree.

There are only six Victorian stand-alone sides (excluding ones with affiliations). If it is just a transitional season before separate reserves, you'd assume the standalone league will still need the non-Victorian sides. And Tasmania will join too. It would have made sense just to make it the EAFL from the beginning.

Making a new logo and name really wouldn't be that hard or expensive. They've had five months since the change was announced, probably at least a year since plans started rolling. It's just lazy.
It's blindingly obvious you have no idea about how the VFL or it's clubs operate, or the rich and valuable history therein.

I could frankly care less about GWS, which has been around for a minute and done sweet FA compared to titans like Port Melbourne and Williamstown. The opinion of that plastic franchise and it's 16 fans means nothing.

It's blindingly obvious you have no idea about how the VFL or it's clubs operate, or the rich and valuable history therein.

I could frankly care less about GWS, which has been around for a minute and done sweet FA compared to titans like Port Melbourne and Williamstown. The opinion of that plastic franchise and it's 16 fans means nothing.

The VFL has only had its name since 1996. Updating a 25-year name to a more inclusive league name wouldn't affect the VFL clubs' "rich and valuable history".

Aspley and Southport are strong, historical clubs with six decades of history (just as long as Werribee). Brisbane and Sydney have as much history as the rest of the new league. Yes, GWS and Gold Coast haven't been around that long, but they've got more members than any standalone VFL clubs (including the "titans like Port Melbourne and Williamstown"). You may not care about these clubs, but there are plenty of people north of the Murray that do.

The VFL has only had its name since 1996. Updating a 25-year name to a more inclusive league name wouldn't affect the VFL clubs' "rich and valuable history".

Aspley and Southport are strong, historical clubs with six decades of history (just as long as Werribee). Brisbane and Sydney have as much history as the rest of the new league. Yes, GWS and Gold Coast haven't been around that long, but they've got more members than any standalone VFL clubs (including the "titans like Port Melbourne and Williamstown"). You may not care about these clubs, but there are plenty of people north of the Murray that do.
The VFL incorporates the history and statistics of the VFA, which is the oldest Australian football league in the world.

Changing the name and logo would affect the clubs because they have to pay for new signage, guernseys, merchandise, etc, as well as updating websites, stationary and promotional materials. And they don't have the money for that, especially now.

If Aspley and Southport are so big and powerful, why can't they go and make their own league? The point will never change that they joined the VFL. Don't like it? Don't watch, it's not hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back