U18 Champs Victoria Country vs Western Australia, GMHBA Stadium, Sunday July 17 @ 1.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the 2nd half. Far better effort from WA after not being competitive in the first half. My best for the game:

Vic Country: Hollands, Clark, Van Es, Szybkowski, Cadman, Schuback & Long. Binns & McMullin up there as well.

WA: Ginbey, Hewett, Cleaver, Dewar and Tholstrup (2nd half)
You serious? Mcmullin had 5 touches 😱

I liked the work of Mitch Barron today. He used his bulk and strength to good effect and certainly the Vic C lads knew he was around.

I hope he holds his place and WA add Ryan Newick and Sokaa Soka for the final game. Nothing to lose with injuries and covid about.

I liked the work of Mitch Barron today. He used his bulk and strength to good effect and certainly the Vic C lads knew he was around.

I hope he holds his place and WA add Ryan Newick and Sokaa Soka for the final game. Nothing to lose with injuries and covid about.
Nota bad move,
Soka is in good colts footy form, winning ruck taps and gaining possession in general play. Could be good in rotation with Edwards in the Ruck

Newick could be a straight swap with Julian, playing mid/fwd. Julian looked to hurt his shoulder late in the Vic C clash. Hopeful Julian is OK and plays the last game of the series, very smooth mover, good size, makes nice decision with a neat kick. If he has injured his shoulder, I reckon he has done enough to get drafted with the 3 games he has put together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who do you think wce should take then? need a 2 way mid
Excluding Ashcroft because I think he will go as a F/S. Wardlaw, Clark, Phillipou, McKenzie and Hollands all fit the bill.

Will be plenty of good kids available at pick 20 & 26 too…I’m tipping players like Adam D’Aloia will be around that mark, along with WA local Rueben Gibney.

Great game. High pressure in and around the ball. 10 things I loved about the game (in no order)

1. Hollands - BOG for mine. 4 quarter effort. had 30+ and didn't waste many. Confirmed in my mind he's a 1st Rounder.
2. Ginbey - wowzers! He's having some carnival. Bolter with a capital B
3. Clark - Awesome, particularly in the 1st half when Country were setting up their win.
4. Hewett - Played in an undermanned midfield against an all-star cast and didn't let up. Best pressure game in the draft.
5. Edwards (17) - Great game for the underager.
6. Reid (17) - Another one I'm looking forward to next year.
7. Northam - has a really good inside kick and is deceptively strong overhead. Uses the ball well and makes good decisions.
8. Davies - Plugged the Busslinger gap. Did a good job. Doesn't seem to panic..ever
9. Szykowski - worked hard all day, applied pressure and seemed busy for 4 quarters.
10. Dewar - Class and skill with ball in hand. He's a joy to watch.

Honourable mentions to the falcon from Bond that hit him flush on the snoz, Scaiff's bomb from outside 50 and Van Es's mark late in the game was a ripper.

My only gripe is that we really should be playing these games at a ground with wings. We want to see a bit of outside run as well. Other than I had a cracking time watching.

Great game. High pressure in and around the ball. 10 things I loved about the game (in no order)

1. Hollands - BOG for mine. 4 quarter effort. had 30+ and didn't waste many. Confirmed in my mind he's a 1st Rounder.
2. Ginbey - wowzers! He's having some carnival. Bolter with a capital B
3. Clark - Awesome, particularly in the 1st half when Country were setting up their win.
4. Hewett - Played in an undermanned midfield against an all-star cast and didn't let up. Best pressure game in the draft.
5. Edwards (17) - Great game for the underager.
6. Reid (17) - Another one I'm looking forward to next year.
7. Northam - has a really good inside kick and is deceptively strong overhead. Uses the ball well and makes good decisions.
8. Davies - Plugged the Busslinger gap. Did a good job. Doesn't seem to panic..ever
9. Szykowski - worked hard all day, applied pressure and seemed busy for 4 quarters.
10. Dewar - Class and skill with ball in hand. He's a joy to watch.

Honourable mentions to the falcon from Bond that hit him flush on the snoz, Scaiff's bomb from outside 50 and Van Es's mark late in the game was a ripper.

My only gripe is that we really should be playing these games at a ground with wings. We want to see a bit of outside run as well. Other than I had a cracking time watching.
i don't see what you see in Northam. he looks a very scrappy kick to me. He plays like a 195cm Draper. Not tall enough for ruck. Too immobile for a key fwd.

Excluding Ashcroft because I think he will go as a F/S. Wardlaw, Clark, Phillipou, McKenzie and Hollands all fit the bill.

Will be plenty of good kids available at pick 20 & 26 too…I’m tipping players like Adam D’Aloia will be around that mark, along with WA local Rueben Gibney.
Who are you thinking the Roos will take?

if we end up with pick 1 I'd say we bid on Ashcroft and then probably take one of Wardlaw, Sheezel or Busslinger.

Ideally I think we need to split our first round pick so that we can have access to more talent.
Please do that from a Crows point of view.

You look pretty well set up for midfielders if you can convince JHF to ink a contract?

I think we'd likely go Phillipou, Clark or Tsatsas though Tsatas being a Vic Metro kid screams go home factor for us.

melb will be having their eyes firmly set on cadman. i think whatever pick we get for Jackson, it'll be built around getting Cadman in. I think i'd prefer Jefferson but Cadman has more physical intent which Jason Taylor (dees recruitment manager) will like.

Please do that from a Crows point of view.

You look pretty well set up for midfielders if you can convince JHF to ink a contract?

I think we'd likely go Phillipou, Clark or Tsatsas though Tsatas being a Vic Metro kid screams go home factor for us.

Centre square mids we are pretty right for as long as we can tie up JHF. In saying that you can never have enough explosive types (in the Wardlaw mould). I think pick 1/2 is a bit early for Phillipou and I don’t think we’d go after Clark, as we have more pressing needs.

Ideally we’d go tall in this draft but outside of Busslinger I don’t think there is a tall that is worthy to go inside th top 6/8 picks. Cadman, Keeler & Jefferson are all pressing their cases.

Nth need outside based midfielders/distributors and developing talls at either end. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out for us.

Either way I think all 3 of those players will be available at the crows pick.

melb will be having their eyes firmly set on cadman. i think whatever pick we get for Jackson, it'll be built around getting Cadman in. I think i'd prefer Jefferson but Cadman has more physical intent which Jason Taylor (dees recruitment manager) will like.
What makes you say that? You have Weidemann & Van Rooyen waiting in the wings.

if you ask most dees fans weideman is the whipping boy who just hasn't made it at afl level everytime he's been given a chance.
Van Rooyen is still unproven.
Van Rooyen is a gun. He’ll develop into Melbs best tall fwd over the next couple of years.

Van Rooyen is a gun. He’ll develop into Melbs best tall fwd over the next couple of years.
perhaps. personally i see him as a defender. nonetheless, as a forward he isnt overly tall. 1cm shorter than jack Silvagni and he isnt very mobile. He hopefully will be a good 2nd tall but most teams have a 200cm big dog as their fwd these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back