Society/Culture Virgins new priority boarding for service men and women

Remove this Banner Ad

To some degree is pretty broad if it includes George Bush Jnr in the National Guard and Reagan doing glorified USO - recording movies about the army back in the US.
Reagan enlisted but was denied overseas service due to poor eye sight. But he still enlisted to serve and that's important. Just look at how they glorify veterans over there.

Reagan enlisted but was denied overseas service due to poor eye sight. But he still enlisted to serve and that's important. Just look at how they glorify veterans over there.
Yeah Reagan is one on the fence but some of the other cases you need to place in the context of time with conscription. In many cases it was 'safer' for children of the elite to avoid the draft by signing up for a position relatively out of the way. American's of the time were aware of the difference.

Politically I think the effect is overdone. Americans voted for Bill Clinton twice over George Bush Snr, a man with a career of public service, and Bob Dole who almost died in WWII. Then the flip later when they voted for National Guardsman George Bush Jnr over the decorated soldier John Kerry. It's a quick stand in for a candidates public service but positions on the partisan issues are more important.

Besides, if American's really cared about veterans beyond much political symbolism then it would be much easier for elected representatives to spend money on veterans welfare programs.

They voted Obama over multiply decorated war hero McCain. If it was such a cultural thing, then surely “racist”, “military worshipping” America wouldn’t have voted the way they did.

Counting presidents from back when the electoral college was not determined by popular vote is nonsense.

I'm pretty convinced you are just making stuff up.
Which bit?

You did say you get cheap Hungry Jacks, did you not?
Well, we haven't been allies with the USA for a hundred years,
We've been fighting alongside them for a hundred years (there's even a 100 years celebratory beer you can get)
https://au.usembassy.gov/100-years-...-of-the-united-states-australia-relationship/

And had a treaty with them for the last 50 or so.
and we haven't ****** up everything we've touched, either in the last 30 years or otherwise.
I said nearly everything we've touched; Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq... you really think we've helped much there?

I mean, as far as militaries go, joining the Australian one wouldn't be a terrible choice, in terms of survival chances, pay, after-service support or even faith in commanders.
Yeah that sounds great, have fun! Just don't expect me to give a s**t. I don't need to hear your name before I board a flight; you can keep that nationalistic crap in the states.

American bullshit
Branson has business deals with Saudi Arabia

Until the khasoggis murder he was about to get around a billion dollars from them for his space program hyperbole. He still will when it all quitens down.

There is nothing legitimate about Branson whatsoever

Well, we haven't been allies with the USA for a hundred years, and we haven't ****** up everything we've touched, either in the last 30 years or otherwise.
I mean, as far as militaries go, joining the Australian one wouldn't be a terrible choice, in terms of survival chances, pay, after-service support or even faith in commanders.

Good. It was a stupid idea.
In 1918 Australian instructors whipped into shape American soldiers who failed in thier first battles on the western front.

We servered with then in Russia shortly afterwards. In the dirty thirties we served with them in the Spanish civil war. In the forties ww2. In that war americans sided with the Japanese in protecting Chinese Drug Lords fighting Communists.
In the fifties Korea.
Sixties and seventies Nam.
8os we supported the americans supporting pol pot
Nineties Iraq
Naughties east timor Iraq and Afghanistan
This decade syria afghanistan Iraq Libya

So he's right about 100 years.

In the last 30 years we were involved in the first gulf war with America and that's been proven as the British and americans at fault

East timor is still a mess.

We screwed up Afghanistan and invaded based in a lie

We screwed up Iraq and invaded based in a lie

We screwed up Libya and were involved based on a lie.

We tried screwing up syria but failed and this will play out for decades as Iran China Russia and Hamas have real credibility in the region and turkey steoping away from supporting western nations wars

So facts say he is right in what he says

The flights to Sydney which somehow have something to do with you knowing military personnel. Sounds like complete crap. Unless you care to explain.
All I meant was that I don't need a public acknowledgement of service men and women when I board a flight. That idea is hideous to me, as it appears to be to most.

I have a brother in law is currently serving and another brother in law who recently retired from service. Honourable men with good families, a strong sense of community and social justice. Super intelligent people too.

Such a shame they wasted their talents!

The follow-up question would be; without religion would people have just found another reason to justify their cause anyway?

Religion is certainly a convenient justification for those who wish to do bad things.

A former pt boat commander in ww2 whose older brother died in a suicide bombing of German defenses before the Normandy invasion, made president. His predecessor was the American general that was in charge of all allied forces in that Normandy invasion and the eventual defeat of the Germans. That predecessor made a speech just before he left office concerning the military industrial complex. He said it's the biggest danger to world peace

When the pt boat commander replaced him. He was able to prevent a war with Russia despite the arms companies pushing him into one. He then started disclosing to the world how the military industrial compex works and what it is doing to a achieve it's wants.

That pt boat commander started to end the cold war with the Russian premier. That Russian guy was responsible for the starvation of millions of Ukrainians in the thirties. He was involved in shooting any Russian general who advocated against war with Germany. He was an athiest. There was mass protests in the Russian military during the thirties against the Russians preparing to invade western Europe. Those generals who protested killed

Anyone that blames religon for war is at best uniformed. Eisenhower Kennedy and the Russian dictator at the time all clearly and factually pointed to arms companies and the advancement of thier science.

We've been fighting alongside them for a hundred years (there's even a 100 years celebratory beer you can get)
https://au.usembassy.gov/100-years-...-of-the-united-states-australia-relationship/

And had a treaty with them for the last 50 or so.
Fighting alongside another nation does not necessarily make them allies. We fought alongside the French, too, but we weren't "traditional allies" in the sense you're trying to push.
We were British allies militarily, until that relationship deteriorated during world war 2, after which we officially turned to the USA.
50 is not a hundred. Well, more like 70 now really.

Is trying to push a celebratory beer as "proof" of a 100-year alliance the best you can do? Really?

I said nearly everything we've touched; Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq... you really think we've helped much there?
You said the Australian Military have ****ed up nearly everything they've touched. They have not.
The Australian Government have sent them to places they probably (in my opinion) should not have been, but they haven't "****ed anything up" once they got there. They've acquitted themselves quite well, which puts them up in the top services in the world with regard to competency and aptitude in what can be difficult situations.

You're equating a government policy you don't like with the competence of the military itself, and that's why you're wrong.

Yeah that sounds great, have fun! Just don't expect me to give a s**t. I don't need to hear your name before I board a flight; you can keep that nationalistic crap in the states.
I suppose the words "Good. It was a terrible idea" meant I was in support of the airline thing?
You have a way of earning contempt, don't you.

In 1918 Australian instructors whipped into shape American soldiers who failed in thier first battles on the western front.

We servered with then in Russia shortly afterwards. In the dirty thirties we served with them in the Spanish civil war. In the forties ww2. In that war americans sided with the Japanese in protecting Chinese Drug Lords fighting Communists.
In the fifties Korea.
Sixties and seventies Nam.
8os we supported the americans supporting pol pot
Nineties Iraq
Naughties east timor Iraq and Afghanistan
This decade syria afghanistan Iraq Libya

So he's right about 100 years.

In the last 30 years we were involved in the first gulf war with America and that's been proven as the British and americans at fault

East timor is still a mess.

We screwed up Afghanistan and invaded based in a lie

We screwed up Iraq and invaded based in a lie

We screwed up Libya and were involved based on a lie.

We tried screwing up syria but failed and this will play out for decades as Iran China Russia and Hamas have real credibility in the region and turkey steoping away from supporting western nations wars

So facts say he is right in what he says
Learn how to spell, learn how to write, learn punctuation, and then go and learn some bloody history, and I might address you.
Until then, your opinions will be treated with the disdain they deserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learn how to spell, learn how to write, learn punctuation, and then go and learn some bloody history, and I might address you.
Until then, your opinions will be treated with the disdain they deserve.
.Wat does this have too do with the the truth Toump Ass posted and you said was incorrect?

but we weren't "traditional allies" in the sense you're trying to push.
Apologies for the confusion. Allies was definitely the wrong word, my point is Australia's foreign policy is tied to the United States, as it has been for a long time.

And yes 50 years was a typo- 70 years it is!

(and FWIW I actually just thought the "mateship beer" was kinda funny)

You're equating a government policy you don't like with the competence of the military itself, and that's why you're wrong.
Actually I never made any comment on the competency of the Australian military, I'm sure they are doing a great job.

All I'm saying is they've signed up to do some horrendous s**t and I don't think they deserve any more US-like reverence/worship than they already get.

I suppose the words "Good. It was a terrible idea" meant I was in support of the airline thing?
No I saw that, and I agree, a terrible idea indeed.

All I meant was that I don't need a public acknowledgement of service men and women when I board a flight. That idea is hideous to me, as it appears to be to most.

I have a brother in law is currently serving and another brother in law who recently retired from service. Honourable men with good families, a strong sense of community and social justice. Super intelligent people too.

Such a shame they wasted their talents!
Ah now I see what you meant by it. My mistake.

Regarding the last comment, that's all a matter of perspective. Without the military I don't know what path I would have taken in life but so far it has done me extremely well on a personal level. It will directly lead to me being an educator, which is an extremely important job that contributes to the good of everyone. Was it wasted time then? Maybe for some. Maybe that was the best they were going to produce. Who are we to judge whether talent is wasted? Probably a topic for another thread.

Regarding the last comment, that's all a matter of perspective. Without the military I don't know what path I would have taken in life but so far it has done me extremely well on a personal level. It will directly lead to me being an educator, which is an extremely important job that contributes to the good of everyone. Was it wasted time then? Maybe for some. Maybe that was the best they were going to produce. Who are we to judge whether talent is wasted? Probably a topic for another thread.
Don't doubt it- our military serves a lot of great people and a lot of great people serve our military.

Still terrified actions like this, the $500 million war memorial upgrade, Morrison/Nelson's comments re: Ben Roberts-Smith etc. are all leading us down a slippery slope to US-style military reverence (and war-mongering).

Do you really get cheap Hungry Jacks?

Don't doubt it- our military serves a lot of great people and a lot of great people serve our military.

Still terrified actions like this, the $500 million war memorial upgrade, Morrison/Nelson's comments re: Ben Roberts-Smith etc. are all leading us down a slippery slope to US-style military reverence (and war-mongering).

Do you really get cheap Hungry Jacks?
Yeah and a few other things. Nothing major worth writing home about - a 10% discount here or there.

"America will do anything for their servicemen and women - except support them when they come home"

My work has a subscription to the Oz paper.

Its funny how most of the vets commenting were against the public thanks, while many of the usual conservative commentators were strongly for it. Unlike Americans, most Australians do not like public attention.

Me thinks we should listen to the Vets instead of just doing what we think is the right thing for them.

"America will do anything for their servicemen and women - except support them when they come home"

This song says it all

After the invasion of Afghanistan the British and Americans went to the ghettos recruiting the very poor to fight these wars.

Many ended up homeless with PTSD and funds cut to services meant to deal with this.

The American vice president company halliburtin received 40 billion in contracts for those wars.

Sylvester Stallone wrote an amazing script about life of a vietnam vet after the war and how they were treated by police .

The story of John rambo when visiting a town to try and locate the last surviving member of his squad and how he was targeted by police.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back