Watching Port...

Remove this Banner Ad

homework_boy

Debutant
May 7, 2001
Why watch it, I'd perfer to drink it. Well that's just my opinion, as everyone says. Well the homework boy didn't post a message just to promote the team's mascot a bottle of port but to raise an issue of full seriousness. And what's next? your wondering, well I had a thought. What if Port weren't in the league and were still in that other league they were in, were they won numerous premierships, 3 or 4 maybe 5. Would you guys still support them if they applied for the AFL and failed, never made it. The disapointment you would have had to go through, observing a team loosing their battle to become part of the aussie football league. So guyz, if port were still the magpies, and still in the sanfal, would u still be rooting for em'??

Sounds like you have been drinking/sniffing something. Go away, you 'orrible little creature
mad.gif

Try living up to your name and do some homework boy.

Port had reached an in principal agreement with the AFL in 1990, to enter the Port Adelaide Football Club in the AFL in 1991.

However due to the legal obstacles placed in our way, mainly by the SANFL and the Glenelg Football Club, because they knew they could not afford to lose Port from the local comp, the Port bid was replaced by the SANFL bid and hence the Crows were born, and accepted into the AFL.

So my little man, we continued to support the Port Adelaide FC in the SANFL, until we were finally able to enter our team in the AFL in 1997.

Never ever question the loyalty or support of Port Adelaide people to our club.

BTW, it's 37 premierships

------------------
Chris

(Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus)

Did many Port Adelaide Magpies supporters become Adelaide Crows supporters when the Crows entered the AFL in 1991?

I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm asking this question seriously because I remember reading the book 'The Clubs' and the writer of Adelaide's history is actually a Port Magpies supporter and he describes why he followed (and still does follow) the Crows and still follows Port Magpies but not the Power.

Was there much animosity with you guys towards the Crows considering Port were about to enter the AFL only to see the SANFL-backed Crows enter the comp?

I was just wondering whether you guys know anyone who was a Port Magpies supporter and decided to follow the Crows in the AFL or anyone who was a Port Magpies and decided to follow the Crows in the AFL but has since changed to follow the Power in the AFL?

Cheers,

Ben

[This message has been edited by Sydneyfan (edited 17 January 2001).]

There were some that followed the camrys in a lukewarm way from 1991, knowing that it was only biding time until Port was admitted to the AFL. Mainly because it was the only SA team at the time and had a few Port guys playing for them.

There were also lots of Port supporters (me included) who despised them for 'stealing' Port's place.

I don't know for sure, but I reckon it would only be a very small number of people that would have stuck with the Camrys after Port joined.

The was a tosspot here a few months ago called chev1977(?) who reckoned he was still a Port Magpies supporter while at the same time pouring s**t on the Power. I hated him.

On the footy news group (aus.sport.aussie-rules) there's a prick calling himself Marto the Unbelievable with a similar story. It may be the same a-hole, because I'd hate to think that there's more than one traitor out there...

I was in Vic from 1993+ and followed the Cows during that time...with quite a zeal actually.

I remember the fealing one day at Waverly (Adl v Haw I think) in 1996 when I knew I just did not give a toss anymore because the real stuff was going to happen next year. It was quite bizzare....as I got quite involved at one stage. Needless to say my Crow mates let me know what a great decision I had made (not that it was a decision) in 1997 & 1998 !!!

ptw

Originally posted by Sydneyfan:
Did many Port Adelaide Magpies supporters become Adelaide Crows supporters when the Crows entered the AFL in 1991?

I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm asking this question seriously because I remember reading the book 'The Clubs' and the writer of Adelaide's history is actually a Port Magpies supporter and he describes why he followed (and still does follow) the Crows and still follows Port Magpies but not the Power.

Was there much animosity with you guys towards the Crows considering Port were about to enter the AFL only to see the SANFL-backed Crows enter the comp?

I was just wondering whether you guys know anyone who was a Port Magpies supporter and decided to follow the Crows in the AFL or anyone who was a Port Magpies and decided to follow the Crows in the AFL but has since changed to follow the Power in the AFL?

Cheers,

Ben

I was a Port fan since 1987 (when i was 4) and i have been one ever since. I dont remember much about how the crows got in back then, onnly what ive read and seen on tele since, but i was a big crows fan from 91-94, then port got the licence, so i stopped right there, supporteed richmond for two years and now am a power supporter. I only supporterd the crows because they were in there and they were SA's side, but if i knew then what i know now about all the bias and backstabbing, then i wouldnt of supported them.

There has always been big animosity between Port Magpies and everyone else, so the crows is just a mix of every other clubs supporters so there is plenty of anmosity!. Especially that first showdown win...best day ever!

But yeah, im a magpie that was a crow as well but left them to support the real club!

My wife is a crow supporter, so I have had to be partially tolerant of them, that is until Port entered, now I can justify open hostility.

Works for me.

------------------
Chris

(Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus)

I did support the Port Adelaide players in the Crows from 1991 to 1996.

Never at no stage did I ever support the Crows but I sure let the crowd know when a Port player done something special or kicked a goal, which was quite often.

I just told them to remember where that player came from, 'PORT ADELAIDE!'

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Originally posted by Scott:
I did support the Port Adelaide players in the Crows from 1991 to 1996.

Never at no stage did I ever support the Crows but I sure let the crowd know when a Port player done something special or kicked a goal, which was quite often.

I just told them to remember where that player came from, 'PORT ADELAIDE!'

I'm not sure how you could have "told the crowd" anything unless you were there at a crows game - just to support the "Port players". Scott, they were playing for the Crows, they were NOT Port players. But by being at that game, you, and I supppose thousands to this day, continue to prop up the crows.

This is not a dig. It just serves to give an example of how the Port Adelaide Magpies / Port Adelaide Power / Crows permutations are quite complex. Every supporter I suppose has worked out their own rationale, from those who despised the Crows from the outset, to those who were willing to wish the "Port" players well, those who followed the Crows, but only till Port got in, to those who maintain this sort of uneasy balance between continuing to support the Port Adelaide Magpies AND the Crows.

Personally, I believe that all these confusions arise from people who might genuinely call themselves supporters but who have, either through being young or a bit removed from the Club, have not completely understood Port Adelaide culture. This to me means there could be no association with "The CROWS", irrespective of whether the were South Australian" or otherwise. We are, OR SHOULD BE members of a Club, not supporters of a team, or particular players who happen at some time to play for the club.

But this is just my opinion, and I thank you for sharing you own perspective.
MH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back