Weakest year since…

Remove this Banner Ad

Its its been pretty weak since Hawthorn dynasty ended. last year and 2020 being a low points.
Collingwood would be a worthy winner, they probably would of cleaned up in the last ten years if they didnt persist with Buckley.

To answer the OP, the four weakest seasons this century have been 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2022. Oh, and old timers I talk to often point to 1963 as being a particularly weak year.
Other 'weaker than normal' seasons have been 1989, 1992, 1994, 1995 and 2008.
The two strongest Geelong sides in history were in 1967 and 2020, would be almost any side in history, only to be unlucky to face a dynasty team both years

The two strongest Geelong sides in history were in 1967 and 2020, would be almost any side in history, only to be unlucky to face a dynasty team both years
The strongest side of all time was Hawks in 2013

I’d agree with it being a weak year. There are certainly years when there’s multiple teams that have been perennial Top 4 sides in the previous few years.

Not really this year. The reigning premiers are weak, as are the reigning runners up. Melbourne and Brisbane have been pretty strong in recent years and are still there I think, but that’s probably about it.

All in all, just a bit of a transition year. Won’t matter to the premiers and nobody will know or care in 50 years’ time when their name is still on the 2023 cup.

I completely disagree it's "weak". You have 8 teams vying for 5th-8th. The top 4 have all lost at least once to another top 4 side. Any loss to any team 1st-12th by any team in 1st-12th is never seen as an "upset". So many close games and contests. I agree that come finals it's likely one of Collingwood Brisbane or Melbourne but when isn't any one of the the top 1-4 seen as outright sure things for the flag?

2007 was the weakest in living memory. Geelong (1st) beats NM (4th) by 106 points in QF. Port (2nd) beats NM (4th) by 87 points in PF. Geelong then beats Port by 119 points in one of the crappiest GF in history.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glass half empty much? One could make the counter argument that clubs who dominated the season faced weak competition.

AFL's wanted equalisation for decades. Finally got it. I'd argue the competition is stronger as a result.

This year would have to be one of the weakest seasons of AFL we have witnessed. It almost seems sacrilege that someone has to win the premiership this year. The winner will be one of the weakest in many years.

Other weak premiers include WCE 2018 (Richmond a great team that year), Dogs 2016, Swans 2012?
Then you’d have to go back a while before that…

Collingwood - some close wins have flattered them. The best out of the lot so far. Weak competition.

Port Adelaide - also flattered by some close wins. They seem to fall apart under pressure. The gap between their best, and worst is the largest in the competition.

Brisbane - can’t win in Melbourne. Can’t see how they win interstate final/s. Look a different team away from the GABBA.

Melbourne - have been reasonable. Don’t look anywhere near the level they were at in 2021 and early 2022.

GWS - decent side. Nothing special.

Bulldogs - dangerous on the day. Inconsistent.

Saints - had a good start to the year, but can’t see them beating top teams.

Carlton - look great when they are on. Mixed year. Would have liked to have seen them in the top 4. At least they can threaten in Melbourne in September.

Geelong - a shadow of 2022. With all the players they’ve got back in recent weeks, they are an enormous disappointment.

Adelaide - dangerous on their day, a team on the up

The rest… who cares (could put Geelong and Adelaide in that basket too)

I could have left it at the top 4 to 6 teams to illustrate the point, but went a bit further.

Really, the point is that whoever wins it won’t even be close to Geel 2022, Rich 17,19-20, Melb 21 etc.
West coast 2018 that beat :

Away from home : we played 2/3 other top four clubs away and won both.

Top 8 wins away:

7th gws

4th hawthorn

3rd collingwood

Top 8 teams beaten at home :

8th Geelong

1st Richmond

7th gws

Finals

3rd collingwood (home)

5th melbourne (home)

3rd collingwood (away)

Whats weak about that?

Richmond barely fired a shot away from the mcg in 2017 losing to bottom 8 teams at etihad.

That’s weak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quality of footy is much higher than much of the dour, rolling maul, superflood footy played throughput the 2000s. That's what I care about most. It's enjoyable to watch. The finals will be competitive.

If it's a decent finals series & competitive grand final, that's enough for me.

This year would have to be one of the weakest seasons of AFL we have witnessed. It almost seems sacrilege that someone has to win the premiership this year. The winner will be one of the weakest in many years.

Other weak premiers include WCE 2018 (Richmond a great team that year), Dogs 2016, Swans 2012?
Then you’d have to go back a while before that…

Collingwood - some close wins have flattered them. The best out of the lot so far. Weak competition.

Port Adelaide - also flattered by some close wins. They seem to fall apart under pressure. The gap between their best, and worst is the largest in the competition.

Brisbane - can’t win in Melbourne. Can’t see how they win interstate final/s. Look a different team away from the GABBA.

Melbourne - have been reasonable. Don’t look anywhere near the level they were at in 2021 and early 2022.

GWS - decent side. Nothing special.

Bulldogs - dangerous on the day. Inconsistent.

Saints - had a good start to the year, but can’t see them beating top teams.

Carlton - look great when they are on. Mixed year. Would have liked to have seen them in the top 4. At least they can threaten in Melbourne in September.

Geelong - a shadow of 2022. With all the players they’ve got back in recent weeks, they are an enormous disappointment.

Adelaide - dangerous on their day, a team on the up

The rest… who cares (could put Geelong and Adelaide in that basket too)

I could have left it at the top 4 to 6 teams to illustrate the point, but went a bit further.

Really, the point is that whoever wins it won’t even be close to Geel 2022, Rich 17,19-20, Melb 21 etc.

I agree.

EVERY single premiership Carlton did not win was "weak".

I'd be as daring to say "WEAK AS PISS".

This gets said every year. I think the difference is this season none of the top 4 are 100% healthy and in great form going into September, yet these have been the standout 4 teams all year. Carlton are the team most out of position, they have a very good team of prime age players, but it may have clicked 2 weeks too late.

Why did you switch from Hawthorn to Richmond?
Was it because of Dustin Martin?

Nah used to be a Geelong supporter. When GAS came to the Cats I switched to Richmond. I knew he wouldn’t take us anywhere so what was the point.

How do you tell if one season is "weaker" than another?

Define and agree on measurable criteria. Then assess and analyze each season against the criteria.

OR...

Form a thoughtless opinion, presume it then to be fact because you can't comprehend a higher level of critical thinking, then take to the internet to inform the masses of your final decision. And make sure to share your rationale so that people can easily dismiss your thoughts as the ramblings of a simpleton.

I agree, but at least it's made the year interesting. Mid table pretty strong, but top 4 is fairly weak.

We're a mid table team (improving though) and I think it's telling that we've beaten Port twice, Brisbane once and pushed Collingwood twice (Melbourne the scoreboard flattered us a bit).

Port and Brisbane are vulnerable and normally you'd think of them around 5th place. Melbourne are good but not playing the same footy as their premiership year (top 4 worthy but hardly look like a top 2 side). Collingwood have been the best, but have never looked dominant at any point.

Pretty strong mid table though with dogs and gws the stand outs. Essendon, Geelong, crows, Sydney, Carlton, Sydney, GC and Saints have all played high quality football at times this season.

One of the strangest years I can remember.

I’d agree with it being a weak year. There are certainly years when there’s multiple teams that have been perennial Top 4 sides in the previous few years.

Not really this year. The reigning premiers are weak, as are the reigning runners up. Melbourne and Brisbane have been pretty strong in recent years and are still there I think, but that’s probably about it.

All in all, just a bit of a transition year. Won’t matter to the premiers and nobody will know or care in 50 years’ time when their name is still on the 2023 cup.
???

Melbourne has been a premiership team and a top 4 team for 3 years

Brisbane for the last 4 years

Port missed last year but were in the top 4 the previous 3 or 4 years

Collingwood has been top 4 the last 2 years

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back