Hawthorn having the wood over Collingwood since 1982

Remove this Banner Ad

Black Haze

Debutant
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Since and including 1982, the head to head between Hawthorn and Collingwood is this:

Hawthorn - 46 wins
Collingwood - 20 wins

It's an interesting and quirky match up given Collingwood have always been a constantly competitive side, yet Hawthorn are the one team they've had trouble beating for a long time.

Here are a couple of examples to put this in perspective:

Adelaide entered the competition in 1991, and Collingwood have beaten them 33 times.

Fremantle entered the competition in 1995, and Collingwood have beaten them 22 times.

A question best for those people who have been watching footy for 40 years or close to it, are there any particular reasons why Hawthorn have had the wood over Collingwood for so long?

Is there some anomaly where, in the years that Collingwood are good they only play Hawthorn once, while the opposite is happening?
Interesting stat.

Ever since going to the footy from 1988, Collingwood have barely had a long sustained success over Hawthorn.
Ironically Collingwood had the wood over Hawthorn in some of its darkest years.
1998 (Round 16) to 2000 (Round 1 2000) and then again from 2004 to 2006 (2006 Pies played in the EF).

The win in Round 16 1998, Pies obliterated Hawthorn at Waverley onSat night with former Hawk stars (lol) like Crow and McDonald dominating for Collingwood! Pies then lost a club record 13 in a row.

They then smashed Hawthorn again at Waverley late in the season before winning the wooden spoon. 2004 to 2006, Pies dominated similarly although Hawks were as horrible understandably during that period. The famous Rocca v Dawson match occurred in round 2 2006.

So one third of pies wins since 1982 against Hawthorn occurred during mostly in the worst period of Collingwood’s history.

Considering it took 16 years for the Hawks to get their first win... Alot of ground to make up.

There's a few odd sort of dominances by sides over others in the time that i've followed footy. Before being broken by the 2017 QF, Geelong had an absolute massive domination of Richmond pretty much from the time Gary Sr adorned the hoops, it was a 42-8 record from 1984 till that QF.

Hawthorn won just one of their first 49 games against the Pies, but it is a little weird how this has flipped over so, although for the bulk of the era from 1982 onwards the Hawks have been more powerful than Collingwood. Less understandable is how the Lions, perennial finalists in recent years have lost their last four to the Hawks as well.

Port Adelaide have a powerful record against Essendon, but last night's loss to Geelong sees Port with a record of 13-1-27 now. Collingwood is the side Geelong has been troubled by the most since the 2007 era, with a 50/50 split pretty much, but the Dogs, Lions and Essendon all have had a 3-17 split in their previous 20 meetings (until the Lion's win 3 weeks ago) against the Cats.

Adelaide have only won 15 and had a draw against the Pies who have won 33 since their inception. And Richmond have a dominating record over the Lions too, having won 25 of their 38 clashes, but just 16 of their 38 games against Port.

And despite Sydney being generally a powerful club in the 2006-2012 era, the Pies won 11 in a row against them in that time. The Bulldogs indeed also have a unique record, they are the only club to become a Premier despite at the time having a 10 loss losing sequence against another side at the time, namely the Cats.

I think it just makes footy such a fascinating and frustrating game. I mean even as a Geelong supporter, the Cats are 0-5 in their last five meetings at K.P against the combined might of GWS and Freo!! I'd be a very wealthy man had I backed against the Cats in those games.

Last edited:
Not sure about that. They've had their patches.
Most of the 80s-90s we were awful. Had a lean 2-3 years mid 00s and also a lean 2-3 years in mid 10s

But generally yes we have played finals and gone into prelims and GFs all against better sides most of the time barring the 2010-11 side.

I find it strange how they've never met in a grand final when 61 out of a possible 124 grand finals have featured either Hawthorn or Collingwood.
This year it could become 62 out of 125 grand finals featuring either Hawthorn or Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it strange how they've never met in a grand final when 61 out of a possible 124 grand finals have featured either Hawthorn or Collingwood.
This year it could become 62 out of 125 grand finals featuring either Hawthorn or Collingwood.
I think only the 2011 PF is the only time they've met in such a game as well. They also met in the 1977 2nd Semi, a game I actually attended as a 9 y/o with my Collingwood supporting father. I guess for the first 60 years of the competition the Pies were ultra dominant, already winning their 13th Flag by 1958, whereas the Hawks took until 1957 to make a final. As it is, the pair despite their combined 28 Flags and combined 274 finals between both clubs in all, just five meetings have occurred between then in September.

Amazingly at the first finals meeting in 1974, a 1st Semi, the Hawks won 138 to 88. Before that match, the Pies had a head to head win/loss record of 71 to 15 over Hawthorn! From that game onwards, it's now Pies 99 to Hawks 69, so 54-28 Hawthorns way in the last 50 seasons.

OK, now I'm intrigued, so i'll do the same for the Hawks against all clubs. from the start of 1975. Of course records against sides entering after 1987 will only be for those relevant matchups. Hawthorn's win tally listed first.

Adelaide......................Hawks 25-22

Brisbane Bears.............Hawks 13-3

Brisbane Lions..............Hawks 21-17

Carlton........................Hawks 45-38

Collingwood..................Hawks 54-28

Essendon......................Hawks 42-41

Fitzroy..........................Hawks 26-13

Fremantle.....................Hawks 28-13

Footscray/Western.........Hawks 47-2-30

Geelong........................Hawks 51-39

Gold Coast.....................Hawks 12-5

G.W.S...........................Hawks 6-1-7

Melbourne.....................Hawks 58-1-23

North Melbourne.............Hawks 58-1-35 (NB from '74-78, these two played 10 finals between themselves!!)

Port Adelaide..................Hawks 17-22

Richmond......................Hawks 44-1-33 (Just one final between these two in this period)

St.Kilda.........................Hawks 49-1-26

Sydney/Sth Melb.............Hawks 55-32

West Coast.....................Hawks 26-30

So the Hawks have been so dominant in this era that only three newer sides have had a better record over them in this almost 50 season period. Perhaps a mild surprise is their moderate record over the Crows, a side that's been quite good in their time since 1991, but the Hawks have won five Flags to two in that time.

But yeah, i'd say that of all the finals-playing sides in this period, the record over the Pies stands out significantly. Collingwood had a couple of lean periods in this time but it's a much more imposing record than over other strong sides like Geelong, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon. Given the Blues have been pretty much ordinary since about 2002, for the Hawks to only square the games in that time is a surprise.

This information was gleaned from Paul's magnificent website AFL tables.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back