MRP / Trib. Webster KO's Simpkin - Update 7 week penalty

Remove this Banner Ad

Depressingly predictable reactions depending on your allegiance.

North - throw the book
Saints - it looks bad but here are these mitigating circumstances
Port - bUt pOwElL-pEpPeR
Melbourne - Maynard got off and he retired a player prematurely
Collingwood - Maynard isn't a fair comparison

etc etc

Thought it would be a unanimous thing where the offender should get weeks and the comparisons with SPP and Maynard are just not relevant at all. But hey, let's just start a shitfight anyway.

Inexcusable action from Webster. Must be 6+ weeks.

Clarkson should be asked to provide a please explain from the AFL and Dr Hood. Perhaps he could attend one of those nifty courses nmfc run.

The most important thing in all this is the health and welfare of Simpkin. As I understand it he has been concussed before.

I was watching the Shield game yesterday when Pucovski went down. It was bloody awful. He may well be the best player in Oz but I reckon he must call it, just as Paddy and Angus B had to call it.

Hopefully Simpkin is not at that point.

Keep calm everyone. I know Easter is around the corner but Webster needs to be punished, not nailed up.

Are you blind?

Of course it was head high...

It's a weird hill to die on.

It's the most head high shot we will see all year.

The footage couldnt be clearer.
Take the blinders off from your irrelevant shithole and know that it wasn't so clear. The picture that Pickitt linked (which is zoomed in and probably took a while to get) showed that the arm/elbow was against Webster's body (thankfully he didn't raise the elbow) and that part got him high.

Thankfully for Simpkin, when Webster jumped he didn't end up with the hip to the head.

With the High Contact, Leaving the ground and Late, should be at min about 8. Not because of the concussion but because the action was illegal (even if there was no head high contact).

Inexcusable action from Webster. Must be 6+ weeks.

Clarkson should be asked to provide a please explain from the AFL and Dr Hood. Perhaps he could attend one of those nifty courses nmfc run.

The most important thing in all this is the health and welfare of Simpkin. As I understand it he has been concussed before.

I was watching the Shield game yesterday when Pucovski went down. It was bloody awful. He may well be the best player in Oz but I reckon he must call it, just as Paddy and Angus B had to call it.

Hopefully Simpkin is not at that point.

Keep calm everyone. I know Easter is around the corner but Webster needs to be punished, not nailed up.
Well said, on all counts.

The Clarko story will die a quick death with no repercussions. Because he apologised, and because, well, he’s Clarko.

The AFL have their villain this week, and Clarko ain’t it. Webster will pay his dues and rightfully so.

Should be a pretty straightforward explanation. Just watched an opposition player assault one of my players in a practice match, and I was pissed off.

I’ll pay that.

Unmitigated tripe. The Maynard accidental collision with Brayshaw is not even in the same postcode as this calculated incident. But don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

You clearly didn’t read, or just chose to ignore, the moderator’s directive yesterday to take comments on Brayshaw/Maynard to that thread. You should know where it’s situated, given the number of hysterical and disingenuous contributions you made to it.
Nice try.

I was simply talking about the penalty and how similar incidents could have been treated better at differing times. You’ve got two careless players causing head injuries to an opponent and I think that we could have entered 2024 with a clean slate re head high contact.

FWIW, Pickett should have got 6 for his hit on Smith last year. Maybe if that happened the Maynard incident may not have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we in 2024 and and still unable to hand out a serious penalty for head high contact causing concussion? I question how serious the AFL are about this. There’s the obligatory back and forth from them causing inconsistencies. If they want to stop it they need to do away with the fluff and start issuing big penalties for these hits irrespective of when they happen, I.e discount for finals etc.

8-10
Get that absolute rubbish out of the game. No attempt to smother, tackle, stop himself running at him when ball was disposed.
Completely lined him up, jumped off the ground, got him flush.
Nothing tough or football about that s***

That incident right there I think umps could call for something of a replay review and check if Webster should be kicked from the field.
Stupidity incidents like this and Gaff's still allow them to play on while the opposing team is down a player, always thought that for reportable offenses.

Depressingly predictable reactions depending on your allegiance.

North - throw the book
Saints - it looks bad but here are these mitigating circumstances
Port - bUt pOwElL-pEpPeR
Melbourne - Maynard got off and he retired a player prematurely
Collingwood - Maynard isn't a fair comparison

etc etc

Thought it would be a unanimous thing where the offender should get weeks and the comparisons with SPP and Maynard are just not relevant at all. But hey, let's just start a shitfight anyway.
Absolutely correct, I hate seeing Saints (and one "Melbourne") fans try to provide context or downplay the severity of this incident. It was a straight-up thug act that has no place in modern football. If an opposition player did that to Paddy McCartin when he lined up for us, those same Saints fans would be rightfully baying for blood.

Webster deserves whatever punishment is coming his way. If there's one thing all players and fans should know by now, don't f**k with concussions.

Why are we in 2024 and and still unable to hand out a serious penalty for head high contact causing concussion? I question how serious the AFL are about this. There’s the obligatory back and forth from them causing inconsistencies. If they want to stop it they need to do away with the fluff and start issuing big penalties for these hits irrespective of when they happen, I.e discount for finals etc.

So who cops it?

Did Pickett or Degoey last year? No

Surely you can't just nail a bloke with 8 and say sorry mate your the example.

Sad Amazon Prime GIF by The Boys

He said a swear word, 6 weeks!
He used a homophobic slur and should be asked for a please explain / fined / banned

So who cops it?

Did Pickett or Degoey last year? No

Surely you can't just nail a bloke with 8 and say sorry mate your the example.
Unfortunately that’s how the justice system works when the powers that be want to send a message. You can’t claim ignorance on the issue if you are Webster. It’s the perfect scenario for the AFL to shore up their stance on head high stuff; a no name player in a practice match.

However, the real test will be if we see the same thing happen to a big name on the verge of finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back