Weight Training: Anything and Everything

Remove this Banner Ad

With such low-impact cardio, what sort of times am I looking at? And lifting weights should I still be aiming at maximum I can lift for 8-10 reps?

do what kirk said.

and what do u mean by times? how long until u can get back into impact stuff? probably have to take it on how it feels. if something is stirring it up stop it but otherwise do what u can painfree. could be weeks, could be a month or 3. may not get better if u need a cleanout.

do what kirk said.

and what do u mean by times? how long until u can get back into impact stuff? probably have to take it on how it feels. if something is stirring it up stop it but otherwise do what u can painfree. could be weeks, could be a month or 3. may not get better if u need a cleanout.

By times I mean, the amount of cardio I need to be doing on such low-impact cardio to actually start seeing results. What exactly are hard intervals?

By times I mean, the amount of cardio I need to be doing on such low-impact cardio to actually start seeing results. What exactly are hard intervals?

fartlek baby - if you want to low impact Cardio get in a pool

i presume hard intervals means short rest periods in between intense cardio.

You can burn more calories by doing say 400m sprints ( or 100m swim or bike ride or whatever) then resting for 1 minute then going again for 400m, than just doing a constant jog.

I agree with ctkkirk, intense weight training is the best thing for getting rid of fat ultimately. Cardio is way over rated IMO.

An hour of cardio only raises your metabolic rate for an hour afterwards. An intense weight training sessions raises it for about 15 hours.

Moreover, if you are building up muscle your resting metabolic rate gradually increases. With more muscle you burn more calories than you would've otherwise just sitting still. Cardio builds up very little muscle compared to heavy weight training.

An hour of cardio only raises your metabolic rate for an hour afterwards. An intense weight training sessions raises it for about 15 hours.

Does anyone have any specific journal articles researching the truth in this? I'm not saying you're wrong, its just that some articles say that it exists up to 48 hours after, whilst others say its not true and there is barely any extra lingering metabolic rate over cardio. I'll have a look later but i just thought someone like Kirky might have a good source :thumbsu:

no specific source but you'll get over 38hrs from wts easily if you've done them properly

haven't read the cardio one before but from walking you'll only burn cals while you're actually doing it and then with an increase in speed you'll burn cals for longer but an hr seem about right as a genral figure

actually here's an article that states 38+hrs:

http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/06/training-techniques-to-maximize-fat-loss/

Does anyone have any specific journal articles researching the truth in this? I'm not saying you're wrong, its just that some articles say that it exists up to 48 hours after, whilst others say its not true and there is barely any extra lingering metabolic rate over cardio. I'll have a look later but i just thought someone like Kirky might have a good source :thumbsu:
I read it in "Brinks body building Revealed" he cites journal sources at the end of the chapter.

Here's the abridged version of the book. Warning, the file is 4MB PDF

http://www.brinkzone.com/uploads/bbrexample.pdf

no specific source but you'll get over 38hrs from wts easily if you've done them properly

haven't read the cardio one before but from walking you'll only burn cals while you're actually doing it and then with an increase in speed you'll burn cals for longer but an hr seem about right as a genral figure

actually here's an article that states 38+hrs:

http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/06/training-techniques-to-maximize-fat-loss/

It makes sense that it would be longer than 15 hours. If you are a sore 2 days after doing, say, squats (which is not uncommon), then it follows that your metabolic resting rate would still be elevated repairing the muscle. How much higher, I don't know.

I've read stuff by Alwyn Cosgrove before. He's good.

The wiki entry supports seems to support what cosgrove is saying. There's a few studies cited.

After a single bout or set of weight lifting, Scott et al. have found considerable contributions of EPOC to total energy expenditure.[9] In their 2004 survey of the relevant literature, Meirelles and Gomes found: "In summary, EPOC resulting from a single resistance exercise session (i.e., many lifts) does not represent a great impact on energy balance; however, its cumulative effect may be relevant.".[10] This is echoed by Reynolds and Kravitz in their survey of the literature where they remarked: "the overall weight-control benefits of EPOC, for men and women, from participation in resistance exercise occur over a significant time period, since kilocalories are expended at a low rate in the individual post-exercise sessions."[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption#Size_of_the_EPOC_effect

How would you go about losing some bulk from the legs (quad, hammy, glute)? I feel as though I'm a bit 'bottom heavy'.

I do a 270kg leg press (at 5'8" - so I think that's quite good) as part of a leg workout as well as a bit of isolation work on my hammies, glutes and quads - more an 'endurance' focus.

Do cardio once or twice a week.

So what's the go? I don't doubt increasing the cardio is the answer - but I'm looking for the type (ie. long distance/interval/sprints) and the frequency as well as any other tips.

Thanks in advance.

Would a bike at the gym be a reasonable alternative? Buying a bike is a little on the expensive side for a poor uni student (plus I'd rather spend my fortunes on alcohol) :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you always been on that chubby side?

How long have you been doing this cardio for honestly for twice a week?

Cyclying on a normal bike should be fine. Stop drinking alcohol :p and start doing some lef lifts at the gym and stop eating crap.

It takes time, a good 4-6 months of dedicated really hard work. If your only doing 1-2 cardio sessions a week you will be lucky to notice it really.

Have you always been on that chubby side?

How long have you been doing this cardio for honestly for twice a week?

Cyclying on a normal bike should be fine. Stop drinking alcohol :p and start doing some lef lifts at the gym and stop eating crap.

It takes time, a good 4-6 months of dedicated really hard work. If your only doing 1-2 cardio sessions a week you will be lucky to notice it really.

Making a few assumptions there champ. :cool:

It's not losing 'fat' it's trimming down some of the muscle I've built up in my legs (while keeping the strength), ultimately to gain a bit more speed and agility for footy.

I don't eat crap, but am guilty of drinking plenty of alcohol!

stop training them is a good way to let them slim down but then you'll lose strength if you take that too far...how are they weighing you down exactly?

I just feel I've lost a bit of speed, especially off the mark.

What about really low reps like 3-5 at what you usually do.

Not many people are super skinny and super strong. Some rare freaks but it goes against science really. The bulk you have is to spread a higher force out between those legs so you can press 270kg ect

What your asking for seems a bit of a miracle. Id stop doing as much leg lifts aswell if you want to lose that bulk but keeping that strength will be hard.

how were you training then?

for legs and for speed/agility?

Specific legs;

Four sets; 8 x 270kg LP
Four sets; 8 x 60kg Hamstring curl
Four sets; 8 x 55 kg Leg extension
Four sets; 8 x 70 kg Glute/Hip extension (per leg)

For speed and agility, nothing specific outside footy training.

the routine couldn't have built too much bulk in my opinion, not so much that you need to get rid of it

it also won't help with speed or agility either unfortunately, there is no actual strength element to it, that's why you're getting slower

the routine couldn't have built too much bulk in my opinion, not so much that you need to get rid of it

it also won't help with speed or agility either unfortunately, there is no actual strength element to it, that's why you're getting slower

Maybe so, I find that in general I can gain 'size' really quickly though - maybe it has something to do with shorter muscle length due to height (lack of)?

train for strength and nothing else then through deadlifts and/or squats as the time under tension is to low too elicit much size gains

So if his routine with lots of volume doesn't build bulk, and deadlifts and squats don't build bulk due to little time under tension.. What do you recommend Kirky to pack on kilos of shredded mass! (/infomercial)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back