Weight Training: Anything and Everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Optimal Exercises and Optimal Techniques for Muscle Gains

i've never heard of it

don't say i didn't warn you

im gonna be honest, i meant squats, not good mornings :eek:

i have no idea why i didn't notice it in both yours and my post, guess thats my calling to hit the sack, i'm really not thinking.

Not ignoring your post whomb but am I better off switching on and off between dumbbell chest press (which i do every week) and bench press? I figured using a wide grip on bench press rather than the fairly standard closer dumbbell press grip could help my chest..? Hope I'm not abusing the free advice on this board.

As for Smith talk, I'm going to do Good mornings and Bent over barbell rows with the smith machine. Perhaps even incline chest press.
hahahahaha please do they would be one of the funniest things i have ever seen

A search for smith machine good mornings returned this:

[YOUTUBE]1m6vcyQqx_Q[/YOUTUBE]

I'm guessing that'd hurt a tad...if he ain't dead.
hahahahahahahaha
that is one of the funniest things i have ever seen
what was he even trying to do with that looked like his knees just gave way
doesn't look like he could do anything with 220kg let alone good morning it

if benching safely you should be using an arch where the bar starts over the face and your elbows lower down towards the hips so that the bar ends up over the lower portion of your chest...the smith will do nothing like that and more then likely tear the s**t out of your infraspinatus

great idea the q and a too

Mate I know the correct BP technique (and we are talking incline by the way), please explain how it would lead to the tearing of my infraspinatus more than a standard BP?

Start the Q&A up.

Back on topic:

My current Chest/Shoulders/Triceps workout generally looks as follows,

Chest: Bench Press, or DB Incline Press
Triceps: CGBP or high rep Pushdowns
Shoulders: DB/BB Press

Usually rotate exercises and order depending on what I want to focus on, Reps usually 3-6 with sets depending on how I am going on the day.

done a little experiment this week...

for 3 days in a row i trained horizontal push, horizontal pull and vertical pull

looked like this:

mon - bench 6 x 8 @ 80kgs - 8, 7, 6, 6, 6, 7
pull up 6 x 8 @ bodyweight - 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
chest supported row 6 x 8 @ 70kgs - 8,8,8,8,8,8
* 2mins or so between sets

tue - chin up 4 x 12 @ bodyweight - 12, 12, 12, 8
db low incline press 4 x 12 @ 27.5kgs - 12, 12, 10, 8
db row 4 x 12 2 30kgs - 12, 12, 12, 12
* 90secs or so rest between sets

wed - inverted rows 3 x 25
gymnastic ring push up 3 x 25 (last set only got 14 so dropped to the floor for another 7 then ended on the knees for another 4 to get all 24)
2 cable pulldown 3 x 25 @ 120pds
*1min or so rest between sets

measured today and was 2cms up from monday

give it a go and see how you fair

next week might do it again with a change or 2

I don't have a spotter although I should.
Dropped a barbell on myself earlier on in the year after doing a full chest workout, went back to bench and forgot to take some weight plates off.

I've learnt to lift the bar just above the barbell rack to check if its heavy enough these days, if its too heavy i can simply lower it back into place.

Do you guys train with a partner? How do you do a bench press solo? Too afraid I won't be able to lift the bar up.
Haven't used a training partner in nearly two years.

Originally it was for convenience reasons, but as I got used to it I began to prefer it. I train best when I don't have to stop and chat to people; even now I lose my focus if I chat for more than a "hey how's it going?".

I've 'tried' a few different training partners, and none were any good. None except for the guy that first showed me how to lift, and trained with on-and-off for a year or two.

Anyway, as far as the bench goes, I don't worry about it. With the way I lift, I always know that if I reach failure in the chest, I can bring in the delts to lift it back to the rack. I also find that if I have a spotter, I'm more inclined to lose form as they're either lifting too much or trying to hurry my reps. I don't mind giving a spot, though; I appreciate that most people prefer to have one there.

i also train alone and have done for years now

there's normally someone at work that can help me for a spot if needed for 1rm attempts but simply don't try a rep you don't think you'll get

if your program says to do 3 x 10 and you get 3 x 10, 10, and 8 it's no big deal

Come to think of it I need some advice. I'll probably go to the gym twice this week because of exams and timing and i just got over being sick, but I want to work everything in 2 days.

Can someone please plan for me? 2 exercises per body part would be good.
excluding calves, traps, forearms and so on.

cheers

day 1

deadlifts / push ups
pull ups / prone hold
db rows / bodyweight tricep extension / split squat

day 2

squats / inverted rows
bench press / side holds
single arm shoulder press / bb curls / reverse lunge

juat stick to your normal rep range for each exercise

do 3 days apart if you can

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a chest session tonight.

Overall I was annoyed at it all.

I started off with flat benches and had an appaling time. I pressed out two less reps in my working sets than I did last time at the weight I used last time. During inclines, my chest totally gave out after only the third rep of my second set (on which I usually can press up 8-10 quite easily).

I think the body is trying to tell me to mix it up.

Next session I'll lighten up the bar and shoot for some higher reps concentrating on form. Before I do this, however, I reckon I'll try some pre-exhaution in the form of some flyes. Might even finish off with some giant sets...nasty pec bloaters.

Hard and heavy at all costs is wearing me down at the moment.

i don't think you need to mix it up, you need a deload and giant sets/pre exhaustion sets isn't it

Last night did some incline bench 3 x max which was 14,11,8 and did three negatives at the end of each set.

3 maximum sets wasn't enough? they couldn't have been maximum then

i don't think you need to mix it up, you need a deload and giant sets/pre exhaustion sets isn't it

3 maximum sets wasn't enough? they couldn't have been maximum then
nah they were with 3 negatives at the end compleatly burned them. struggled to do the flyies and then the pushups was hell first set of push ups i got 20 then about 10 then about 5,3,2,3 and i was done

if you've already done a maximum set then theres no reason to go beyond that unless your eating 20 x your bodyweight in cal's a day to support it

if you've already done a maximum set then theres no reason to go beyond that unless your eating 20 x your bodyweight in cal's a day to support it
There is no right or wrong answer it is whatever works for the individual and this works for me

Do you guys train with a partner? How do you do a bench press solo? Too afraid I won't be able to lift the bar up.

I have never trained with a spotter.

Yes, a couple of times I have tried to bite off more than I could chew and ended up with a heavy bar sitting across my chest, thinking 'What am I gonna do now?'. As long as you don't panic it is no big deal, though.

I've heard people say 'Oh, but it is those last couple of reps (which you can only do with a spotter) which make all the difference'. I would like to see some studies to prove this.

For me, working out is actually an enjoyable, mind-clearing exercise. Why would I want to disturb that by having somebody else in my space? Bugger that. Work out time is fairdinkum time.

:thumbsu:

I have never trained with a spotter.

Yes, a couple of times I have tried to bite off more than I could chew and ended up with a heavy bar sitting across my chest, thinking 'What am I gonna do now?'. As long as you don't panic it is no big deal, though.

I've heard people say 'Oh, but it is those last couple of reps (which you can only do with a spotter) which make all the difference'. I would like to see some studies to prove this.

For me, working out is actually an enjoyable, mind-clearing exercise. Why would I want to disturb that by having somebody else in my space? Bugger that. Work out time is fairdinkum time.

:thumbsu:

I would agree with this. I do like working out on my own as it gives you the freedom to do what you like in your own time.

On the other hand, I do like having a workout partner, provided they are on the same level, or higher, than you. They can keep you motivated and push you that extra bit harder, which is very important. That and on exercises like a bench press they give you that extra security which can help you try and push a bit harder without fear of a heavy bar rearranging your face or internal organs. :thumbsu:

Depends on what mood I'm in I suppose.

alsdo forgot bent rows, t-bar rows and rack pulls

For someone doing all body workouts, would you still advocate overgrip pullups over lat pulldowns if they are going to be doing bicep work afterwards? I tend to be able to do 3 sets of 12-15 overgrasp chin ups (ex military so copped plenty of these) in a session, or 20-22 until failure for a single set. This tends to kill the arms a fair bit too, although with that alone I'm not sure I'd be getting an adquate bicep workout.

I know pulldowns do have a bicep component, but they tend to isolate the lats a little more

you shouldn't need bicep work in a full body routine...there was a study done (i have this somewhere) where one group did chin ups only and the other chins and curls...the chin up only group had the same results, see what i'm saying?

add wt to your chin/pull ups to land in the 6 - 8 rep range

What did you say recently about weighted wide-grip chins?

You said 'body weight + x amount' for 3 reps was good.

Not important, just curious, as until today when I swapped back to pulldowns from chin-ups, I was using additional weight for these on occasion.

you shouldn't need bicep work in a full body routine...there was a study done (i have this somewhere) where one group did chin ups only and the other chins and curls...the chin up only group had the same results, see what i'm saying?

Cheers for the response, interesting about the bicep development with the chin ups, would have expected similar results for predominately undergrasp chin ups, not necessarily overgrasp or wide-grip chins.

Unfortunately my local gym doesn't have the strap/chain for extra weight on chin ups, might have to try max effort (and perhaps more sets) on each set to make sure I'm getting reward for effort.

Unfortunately my local gym doesn't have the strap/chain for extra weight on chin ups, might have to try max effort (and perhaps more sets) on each set to make sure I'm getting reward for effort.
There are times when I can't find a strap/chain, so I just grab a plate and put it between my legs instead. (Wow, you'd hate to have that taken out of context.)

It's not ideal, and it can actually be quite annoying if you're trying to concentrate on working the lats, but it's better than nothing.

Wow, I need to stop derailing threads :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back