Up the Coasters Weird or underrated grandfinal moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
So we've all had time to digest and maybe rewatch the game, so what are some odd, obscure, or just weird GF moments you noticed?

For me, at half time Sidebottom was interviewed after WC having closed the gap and rather dismissively rejected the idea of a WC comeback with a "the only time they have even looked in it, is a couple of times on the outside. We will just tighten that up". Went completely unremarked.

Was odd.

So we've all had time to digest and maybe rewatch the game, so what are some odd, obscure, or just weird GF moments you noticed?

For me, at half time Sidebottom was interviewed after WC having closed the gap and rather dismissively rejected the idea of a WC comeback with a "the only time they have even looked in it, is a couple of times on the outside. We will just tighten that up". Went completely unremarked.

Was odd.
Yeah, it was pretty complacent. I was more confident after hearing that.

Was odd.

'twas Hutchings that did the tightening in the ensuing half.

Was odd.
Yep. I mentioned this after he said it in the gameday thread. Had some arrogance about it.

Can't remember if it was the third or the final quarter and I can't remember who was involved, but at the opening bounce they showed a couple of opponents talking and laughing with each other. It looked weird as hell and BT commented on it.

• Banned
Can't remember if it was the third or the final quarter and I can't remember who was involved, but at the opening bounce they showed a couple of opponents talking and laughing with each other. It looked weird as hell and BT commented on it.
Ryan and Sidebottom.

• Banned
Ryan shitmixing Maynard. For mine, that signalled that this team was different to the 2015 version in terms of mentality and weren't going to go away without a fight.
Ryan's clutch plays are underrated. Shifts momentum with a couple of moments.

Defenders seem terrified of him.

For sure. He willed himself into the game in the last quarter and let's be honest, they had no answer for him. With more conditioning, he can be an extremely valulable rotation in the midfield with his freakish abilities.

Ryan shitmixing Maynard. For mine, that signalled that this team was different to the 2015 version in terms of mentality and weren't going to go away without a fight.

Big like for the shitmixing.

I think the Sidearse conversation with Ryan was about the Maynard shitmix. And that Ryan better watch out for the rest of the game because it was coming back at him. A few of them were into Ryan during the 2nd quarter too. I'm thinking that (Collingwood talk) may have led directly to Ryan's less than 100% attempt at that mark going back in the 3rd. But then we have the little chat with Jetts at 3/4 time and you campaigners know what happened next....

For a player who's just had 12 or so games experience - it is ridiculous the impact he has had. Very talented but has got a brilliant city brain that is instinctive - very much like Rioli. So glad we took him, even moreso than Kelly. Ryan is a much Kore unique player with greater upside. Only 21!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was odd.

I thought the Sidebottom remark was weird at the time too. Like you I remember it being something like "they got it on the outside a lot more, we'll tighten that up". I remember thinking to myself "mate you have no f*cken clue if you think that's where you're getting beaten. You're getting torched on transition!"

If my memory is correct. Players on bench get excited as siren is about to go. Venables yells wait, they stop then siren goes and they celebrate.

Young bloke had the awareness in the moment to not let excitement let them cross onto the field awarding a free and 50m to pies.

Inside 4 minutes in our back 50. Jetta smothered a shot. Greenwood (thanks boy!) smothered a shot. Kennedy is down there helping and takes a tackle and handballs out. Vardy lays a crunching tackle. It's not going anywhere until Shuey channels his inner Karl Langdon and taps it to Duggan, who gets a quick kick to Cripps to relieve the pressure (Cripps should have got 50 btw due to Collingwood players running into the protected zone).

Cripps goes long and Collingwood get it back but it gives us time to setup while Collingwood have the ball in their back half with just over 3 minutes left. Instead of running it down, we lure them into driving down the way and going long to where we want it. McGovern marks and we're away.

Epic defence and of course it was one of those smart things Shuey was doing all day that sets it all up.

The most under appreciated act of the Granny or even our year goes to Jamie Cripps. I have watched the Grand Final over 6 times and everytime it becomes apparent to me just how important it was. The last quarter just before Gov takes that intercept mark and ultimately sealed our destiny as premiers. Trealor gathers a wayward kick from Crisp and heads off towards there goal if it wasn't for Crippa willing his way over to him to force a kick long down the line I believe Trealor runs an extra 5-10 meters and gets his kick to De Goey. Absolute sheer gut running from Crippa

Maybe just me, but I thought the way the players got around Dom after he put us in front was kind of weird. Considering the moment, it was sort of reserved and business-like, as if it was just another goal.
By contrast I was going completely mental in the stands, screaming, laughing and crying at once.
It was actually quite comforting that they were aware enough to stay focused, get back to the middle and finish the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back