Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #62 - Matthew Signorello

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest problem was all Matty's good football at TAC Cup level and for Ivanhoe Grammar he played as an inside mid mainly and Pyke is on record as saying they tried to make him a more outside player. It was only late this season he really got a good crack in the midfield and had some good games. But we move on.

I'd guess the point of playing him outside was to see what his decision making and disposal was like when he had a bit of time. They would have known his in close work was fine but probably needed to see something else from him. His delisting was a bit later than others which makes me think that he wasn't far away and that the likelihood of trading up to a higher pick is diminishing.

Agreed ....but he just couldn't put on the required size, to play this role at AFL level

186cm/80kg. Looks like he was managing it.

His actual problem was that he had no spot as a pure inside midfielder, seeing he wasn't going to usurp Crouch. Equally, Greenwood would win by virtue of size.

Sig needed a rather strong outside game to survive, and evidently, we've given up on the idea that he can develop it.

Some harsh calls on Edwards, Jarman, Signorello but I'm glad we're making them. Being ruthless, not stringing people along. All showed a bit but I guess not enough.

Shame we're not so ruthless with our off-field personnel (ie. the morons who stuffed up our pre-season).

And yet he still never shirks a contest and goes in hard every time despite the slight frame.

He's a great poster boy to why going in hard, and never shirking a contest shouldn't be a reason for retaining someone. Damn useless player despite doing all of the team stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a great poster boy to why going in hard, and never shirking a contest shouldn't be a reason for retaining someone. Damn useless player despite doing all of the team stuff.
The club does not concur. In 2017 he had a very good year. This season maybe not so but he wasn’t alone.
They had the chance to kick him but chose to extend his contract. Maybe he is the sort of player Milera and other more gifted players can learn from.

Some harsh calls on Edwards, Jarman, Signorello but I'm glad we're making them. Being ruthless, not stringing people along. All showed a bit but I guess not enough.

With upto 4 first round picks or near, coming in do we have the potential spots in the 22 to contemplate whether these guys will ever get a go?

We’ve got a mature 22, and with a sudden influx of talent there just might not be a viable pathway into the team for these blokes

With upto 4 first round picks or near, coming in do we have the potential spots in the 22 to contemplate whether these guys will ever get a go?

We’ve got a mature 22, and with a sudden influx of talent there just might not be a viable pathway into the team for these blokes

Can see it now, best draft haul in years and 2/3 of them walk out for cents on the dollar because they aren't getting games and get a better offer elsewhere. We've never been in a better position list, or pick wise to go all in for a couple of elite level talents. It especially makes sense when some of those elite talents are South Australian and Crows fans.

Can see it now, best draft haul in years and 2/3 of them walk out for cents on the dollar because they aren't getting games and get a better offer elsewhere. We've never been in a better position list, or pick wise to go all in for a couple of elite level talents. It especially makes sense when some of those elite talents are South Australian and Crows fans.

What hope does a Sig or Jarman have behind the new lot coming in?

There will be a pathway, based on injuries / form. We don't need to find 88 games for these four players - based on recent trajectories, we will have to find about 30 games in 2019. Assume two develop quickly and play 25 games between them, and two need a little more development and play 1-2 each.

My concern if we trade up is that the expectation on Rankine or Luksosis or whoever we target is that there will be outrage and panic if he doesn't play 18+ games and be a very solid contributor in year one.

There will be a pathway, based on injuries / form. We don't need to find 88 games for these four players - based on recent trajectories, we will have to find about 30 games in 2019. Assume two develop quickly and play 25 games between them, and two need a little more development and play 1-2 each.

My concern if we trade up is that the expectation on Rankine or Luksosis or whoever we target is that there will be outrage and panic if he doesn't play 18+ games and be a very solid contributor in year one.
Yes/no

The panic and concern mostly comes from the options. ie Otten getting a game before Himmelberg or Keath isnt optimal. The same with the new players. Lets say Rankine , Hateley and Fort come to the club.

Rankine 7+ , Hateley 0-3 and Fort 0-1 would be the expectation of most. How the club makes that happen is going to be the interesting part

Someone posted a while back the Sig was only going to play local footy....Not so.

Looks like Gary Ayres and the coaching staff are not going to mess around trying to make him something that he's not and are going to concentrate on ball winning strengths as an inside midfielder. That was where he shone as a youngster in the TAC Comp. Might sneak in and have look on Saturday as Port Melbourne are playing a VFL trial match at Ballarat's City Oval on Saturday.

https://www.portmelbournefc.com.au/ex-crow-signorello-joins-the-borough/

1551921235659.png

Someone posted a while back the Sig was only going to play local footy....Not so.

Looks like Gary Ayres and the coaching staff are not going to mess around trying to make him something that he's not and are going to concentrate on ball winning strengths as an inside midfielder. That was where he shone as a youngster in the TAC Comp. Might sneak in and have look on Saturday as Port Melbourne are playing a VFL trial match at Ballarat's City Oval on Saturday.

https://www.portmelbournefc.com.au/ex-crow-signorello-joins-the-borough/

View attachment 630721
Good on him, hope he does well there!

Port Melbourne going to play the Sig midfield where he shone in the TAC Comp.

https://vfl.com.au/vfl-season-preview-port-melbourne-2019/

Matthew Signorello (21yo in 2019, from Adelaide AFL): “Matty didn’t get a go at AFL level (in two seasons) with the Crows, but he’s back home in Victoria and I think when young men get home they feel pretty comfortable. He was a real standout in our match simulations playing in the midfield.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back