Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Can honestly say, with no malice to Liam.... and I saw his game on the weekend which was good, that given the chance I would pick/draft Sharp over Henry.
That's a tough one. There is only a really small sample size of 2 games. I do think Liam Henry has been massively overrated by the East Coast media since joining the Saints. Henry will turn the ball over a lot, is not strong in the contest, and can not kick more than 40 metres in a straight line, and 30 metres (at best) on a snap. Having said that, Henry is really creative in his thinking and will look towards the corridor more than most to set up attacks.
One thing is for certain, if you compared Henry after 2 games for Freo, and Sharp after 2 games for Freo, then Sharp is miles ahead.

That's a tough one. There is only a really small sample size of 2 games. I do think Liam Henry has been massively overrated by the East Coast media since joining the Saints. Henry will turn the ball over a lot, is not strong in the contest, and can not kick more than 40 metres in a straight line, and 30 metres (at best) on a snap. Having said that, Henry is really creative in his thinking and will look towards the corridor more than most to set up attacks.
One thing is for certain, if you compared Henry after 2 games for Freo, and Sharp after 2 games for Freo, then Sharp is miles ahead.
Sharp has had mor experience before coming to Freo. Henry was taken as a kid.
Sharp did his apprenticeship at a different club.
Not a fair comparison.
And I was not a fan of Henry.

I said it before we got him but it's so annoying that gc held him and didn't just take that north 3rd

Would have been a good addition to the team last year, I know we ended up getting him free but we were in dire need of wingers last season, it could have helped paper over the acres crack earlier

I said it before we got him but it's so annoying that gc held him and didn't just take that north 3rd

Would have been a good addition to the team last year, I know we ended up getting him free but we were in dire need of wingers last season, it could have helped paper over the acres crack earlier
I am 100% sure it’s why we let acres go so cheaply, we thought we were getting Sharp to replace him for roughly the same cost, GC being absolute campaigners meant it didn’t happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said this guy couldn’t kick?
Haven’t seen him miss many in his short career at freo.
The knock on his kicking was his short kicking. Sharp's solved that problem by constantly kicking long which is his strength. He's currently third at Freo in metres gained this season while averaging 15.3 possessions so a very long length of disposal per possession if that makes sense.

The knock on his kicking was his short kicking. Sharp's solved that problem by constantly kicking long which is his strength. He's currently third at Freo in metres gained this season while averaging 15.3 possessions so a very long length of disposal per possession if that makes sense.
It definitely does! He was 3rd in the AFL for metres gained per disposal before tonight, at 29.3 (https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats.html?year=2024), and tonight his m gained per disposal was 29.5 so that seasonal average ain't going down. I don't think we've had a player as direct as Sharp is since prime Wilson, and his stats were probably massaged by taking kick-ins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back