Welcome Welcome to Richmond - pick 55 Steely Green

Remove this Banner Ad

He will be the next Jason Castagna

on the richmond BF board

So he kicked 4 goals in the match sim ….. should we be getting excited?
I haven’t had a chance to watch the full game but going by a few reports most of them were just out the back right place right time goals

But either way it’s better than kicking no goals and he must be getting to the right spots on the first place

I haven’t had a chance to watch the full game but going by a few reports most of them were just out the back right place right time goals

But either way it’s better than kicking no goals and he must be getting to the right spots on the first place
Yeah I guess it’s still a step forward even if it was just out the back goals

To be fair. We make scoring goals look so ******* hard at times. Would love a few more easy right time and place goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I guess it’s still a step forward even if it was just out the back goals

Won’t hurt his confidence & that is a big part of a young players development (belonging @ the level etc)

Being in the right place at the right time and kicking goals, isn't that the skill that defines a good small forward? What is he not doing that makes people doubt him?

Being in the right place at the right time and kicking goals, isn't that the skill that defines a good small forward? What is he not doing that makes people doubt him?
I tend to agree sometimes it comes down to a little bit of luck but at the end of the day good positioning is good positioning and he’s obviously reading the play to get into those spots in the first place

Kicking 3 goals even if they are cheapies is still better than kicking none

I think he’s a little more versatile then a full time mid.

He’s very much in the baker mold. His footy smarts will allow him to play multiple positions.
Not sure about that. Other than kick a few goals in a practice match he has done sweet * all at any level. He really struggled in the vfl last year. Hopefully he can take a big step this year.

One thing I don't doubt is that he is improving, as you would expect. I thought he showed up in some great flashes last year but he often couldn't quite seal the deal by converting. A few times I was watching our VFL games and saw a one grab piece of play in traffic at speed and thought who was that, I replayed it and it was Steely Green. So he looked like he had something to offer.

His 4 goals in the match sim were decent enough, but not Dustin martin 2020 GF goals. Very few AFL footballers can ever produce that though.

I think the doubts on him arise simply from the fact he didn't create too many headlines in the VFL last year. But people should think about why perhaps Cumberland was not getting selected but less eye-catching players like Mansell, Baker, Graham, McIntosh were. The team can make some players look good, and some players can make the team look good. And when you have the two to choose between, if you want to win finals, you choose from the latter pool. This is probably what Steely Green is aspiring to.

Not sure about that. Other than kick a few goals in a practice match he has done sweet * all at any level. He really struggled in the vfl last year. Hopefully he can take a big step this year.
It’s always hard to judge young kids coming from interstate in the first couple of years. Especially ones who are 179cm/75kg.

He had a couple of decent games, notably His game against box hill at the end of the year was strong

Steely has a hill to climb. He is small and doesn't have a natural position. But 4 goals looks great. And we know that the little guys can be very good.

You can only have few of his size in the AFL. But if they are good enough you create a cheap depth and point of difference. Hope he makes it.

Steely has a hill to climb. He is small and doesn't have a natural position. But 4 goals looks great. And we know that the little guys can be very good.

You can only have few of his size in the AFL. But if they are good enough you create a cheap depth and point of difference. Hope he makes it.
Agree on the point about teams carrying minimal sub 180cm players. But in general our list isn’t substantially tall.
Greens actually not that short compared to alot of our playing group at 179cm.

Baker 173cm
Prestia 175cm
Bolton 176cm
Coulthard 176cm
Short 178cm
D.Rioli 179cm
M.Rioli 179cm
Green 179cm
Clarke 180cm
Mansell 180cm
Graham 181cm
Sonsie 181cm