Welcome Welcome to tiger land Jacob Bauer (Pick 10 Rookie draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm not sure about this. Started with 13.4 in 3 games and just 3 goals in 3 more games, with amazing hauls of 5 and 7 disposals during that time, and marks going from an average of 6-7 a game in the first 3 games down to just 3 or so marks TOTAL in the next 3…

Collingwood got who we badly needed with Carmichael... Payback for Bolton?
Probably because after 13 goals in 3 his first 3 games the other sides started paying him more attention maybe even double teaming him. Still he only started as a forward this year so there's plenty of room for improvement in him

Have we ever successfully played a medium sized tall since Josh Caddy?

Not being negative for the sake of it but I can't see this selection playing much AFL footy. To me, he's no different to Noah Cumberland, so I'm sure where he fits in our style of play.

Reminds me of a Ben Lennon type which doesn't fit Dimma's footy style.
We've tried to play 3 forwards before, so this guy could possibly be the third tall in time.

Remember that gameplans and teams need to evolve, the same thing doesn't work forever and you can't stand still in this league. He gives some versatility and fills a list gap of a player type we don't have.

If he fills out a bit and plays tall, he might also be able to play second KPF behind Lynch too.

Not being negative for the sake of it but I can't see this selection playing much AFL footy. To me, he's no different to Noah Cumberland, so I'm sure where he fits in our style of play.

He is 191 (6ft 3"), and Cumberland is 183cms (6 ft tall). Jacob plays like he's 6ft 4", he has that gibcus alleviation type leap. Great hands. Very mobile.
Sorry, but he is nothing in comparison to Lennon. He flies for his marks and is a pretty straight kick at goal. A wise choice by the club, glad they grabbed an athletic forward.

Adds to the 5 others in the 2021 draft crop.

Looks like he has a lot of upside with his leap and agility and will have Jack to mentor him.

He is from the previous draft class (undrafted) which is good given Richmond only took Rioli and Ryan, who was older.

03: Clarke. Brown. Gibcus. Banks. Sonsie.

02: Rioli. Bauer.

01: Ralphsmith. Dow. Nyuon. Martyn. Cumberland.

00: Ryan. Ross. Mansell. Stack. Rcd

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a free hit, so we can't really lose. I much prefer this pick to going down the recycled hack route again with another Parker.

I hope Bauer's drop off in form was because we told him we wanted to draft him and needed him to still be available at our pick. 🤣 🤣
He was Ko d a few weeks ago , not sure if they have any kinda protocol in sanfl for that

Probably because after 13 goals in 3 his first 3 games the other sides started paying him more attention maybe even double teaming him. Still he only started as a forward this year so there's plenty of room for improvement in him
I've seen a fair bit of this kid this year and he is well worth the risk. You are 100% right - after it became common knowledge how good he could be he became a target and was double teamed and manhandled constantly. Umpiring in the SANFL is even worse than at AFL level so he has been afforded little or no protection but he has continued to compete and bring the ball to ground where Nth Adelaides smalls have been feasting on opportunities - a good team player because he is dragging two or three defenders to a contest - in good spots to score from crumbing - not deep into pockets etc. By all reports a cracking kid too. Sadly - its going to hurt my beloved North Adelaide's competitiveness but think most at the club are really pleased for the lad to have been given an opportunity. Hope you all enjoy watching him progress.

Noah Cumberland came to Richmond as a midfielder but has been played forward because all the other positions are full. Great speed and aggression but will fly for the ball as well which is rare for mids these days. Has goal kicking nouse as well.

Bauer looks a marking mobile forward. He has a good spring which makes him more the 193cm type, so big enough to play key once he puts on a bit of muscle as he gets into his 20's. A bit like how Gibcus is able to play taller due to his spring.

Think it a good pick. Most mid season picks are pretty speculative, but he seems to have some good tools to work with.

I've seen a fair bit of this kid this year and he is well worth the risk. You are 100% right - after it became common knowledge how good he could be he became a target and was double teamed and manhandled constantly. Umpiring in the SANFL is even worse than at AFL level so he has been afforded little or no protection but he has continued to compete and bring the ball to ground where Nth Adelaides smalls have been feasting on opportunities - a good team player because he is dragging two or three defenders to a contest - in good spots to score from crumbing - not deep into pockets etc. By all reports a cracking kid too. Sadly - its going to hurt my beloved North Adelaide's competitiveness but think most at the club are really pleased for the lad to have been given an opportunity. Hope you all enjoy watching him progress.
Thanx 4 the intel Mad.
Always good to get an objective assessment.

Listening to Clarke’s post draft wrap, he started the year playing back and was moved forward with immediate success.

I’m not sure how often he played forward prior to this year but you’d think he’s still pretty green in forward craft (running patterns , positioning etc), meaning there’s probably lots of development to come.

JR the perfect tutor to hone his forward craft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back