2nds West Coast WAFL (part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Striijk is another player with a sore groin . Striijk had groin surgery pre season and West Coast told West Perth that he needed a rest this week !

West Coast WAFL 2

God I hate these stupid rules about 1000 posts.

The West Coast WAFL thread was probaly my favourite thread on the board.

I liked to go back pages in it to review comments on player's performance's.

So will start another WAFL thread, to discuss our players.

Is there a specific reason Larri why great threads have to be closed after 1000 posts ?

Re: West Coast WAFL 2

hansen has kicked 26 from his last 4 games?!?!

it's great form, unfortunately i think the horse must've well and truly bolted for poor ash by now. he has never really achieved any worthwhile or sustained form at afl level and you have to think he will only be recalled if two or three other blokes go down injured.

Re: West Coast WAFL 2

Apparently it breaks the internet, I have no idea why.

Agreed that was one of my favourite threads too. We'll just have to bring that quality along to this one. I'll insert the link to the old thread in the OP too.

EDIT - Fivey just beat me to it - we'll make a decent mod out of him yet

From the last thread:
Hansen, 19K, 1H, 16M, 1T, 7G, 5B
Notte 11K, 1H, 5M, 3T, 1HO, 3G, 4B
Jo Jo 11K, 7H, 6M, 3T, 1HO, 1B
Butler 15K, 13H, 8M, 2T
Sullivan 4K, 8H, 5M, 3T, 23HO
Cockie 15K, 7H, 5M, 6T, 2G, 3B
Wilson 14K, 5H, 12M, 6G, 3B

Also Smith 13 kicks 8 handballs 8 marks 2 inside50s and 1 goal

Weedon 4 kicks 2 handballs and 1 goal

East Freo had the bye so no Brown, Dalziell, Stevens or Spangher

Weedon probably would have recieved 60% match time.

Gee we really do need to promote Wilson this year in the draft.

As much as many WCE members hate him I do think Hansen deserves a call up and this may need to be at Lynch's expense as his AFL/WAFL form as not been any better than Hansen's and that is backed up with stats

Weedon probably would have recieved 60% match time.

Gee we really do need to promote Wilson this year in the draft.

As much as many WCE members hate him I do think Hansen deserves a call up and this may need to be at Lynch's expense as his AFL/WAFL form as not been any better than Hansen's and that is backed up with stats

Stevenson is scoring runs at AFL level and we need types like.
Wilson has proven nothing and isn't any better than Hansen.

Can't elevate both and we shouldnt. How many players will we turn over this year? 3 or 4? One spot should be for Stevenson and then we should hit what is looking like a pretty damn good draft.

We are trying to improve our senior list.

Can't elevate both and we shouldnt. How many players will we turn over this year? 3 or 4? One spot should be for Stevenson and then we should hit what is looking like a pretty damn good draft.

In regards to your post, yes we need Stevenson he has been a good player but to say Wilson is no good then who would you say is our best FF excluding Kennedy of course who is a CHF anyway.

How are we improving our senior list while not developing a forward? Wilson deserves to be elevated next if such a long term injury occurs.

Because I'm feeling in a good space right now (work aside), I'll share my thoughts on the Eagles boys at the Swans v Peel game, plus other players of interest. Some comments may be harsh but I was sitting with Peel supporters who have their sons playing for Peel and they were scathing, so it rubbed off!!

Let's start at the top:

Ash Hansen - surely to goodness must be a better option at FF than Lynch, surely!:eek: Great form again and seems to be learning some new tricks, like marking. Starting to gell with Notte as well. I made the comment to the Peel people, who were not scathing of the defender on him, that Hansen looked to be quicker at this level. He certainly leads well, leads straight and to the right position. Looks to be improving his marking, that's the biggest improvement I can see. Great game.

Tony Notte - best game, forward, I've seen him play for 2 years. Not only lead well and took some good contested marks, but was crumbing off Hansen very well as well. There was one passage in the last where Hansen lead, ball spoile, Notte half volleyed and the Peel people with me said a guy his size just shouldn't be able to do that, they liked the skill. He got hemmed in on the boundary and waited for a centering option, which didn't come and then had a pot shot (minor score).
He also spent more time rucking than previously and was more than competitive and chased and tackled around the groun.
Most pleasing aspect I saw was that he wasn't down on his haunches in the last quarter, like he has been in every other game this year, so hopefully that tank is improving. Very, very good game.

Jordan Jones - probably Peel's only 4 quarter effort player, along with Battye. Looks very good in traffic, almost better than when he's outside, strange? Doesn't mind taking you on and has a good turn of pace, good skills and good reading of the play. Did make some errors with his disposal, but I put that down to having no support and not having targets further up the field. Very good game.

Others, in a sentence or less:

H Bennell - disappointing
R Mason - encouraging but not utilised enough;
R Davis - very good mature game, different to his other all ahead at full steam games
C Garlett - lovely, neat skills, keep him hidden
A Krakouer - very good game, will he get another chance?
L Pratt - would really like him as a small defender on the eagles list, rookie or otherwise, mature body, rarely beaten.
C Luff - still like what I see, competitive, good skills
B Wilson - will be a very good defender, has very good skills, good decision making

Left anyone out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to your post, yes we need Stevenson he has been a good player but to say Wilson is no good then who would you say is our best FF excluding Kennedy of course who is a CHF anyway.

How are we improving our senior list while not developing a forward? Wilson deserves to be elevated next if such a long term injury occurs.

We don't have a KPP hole.

Brown has had two chances to play in the WAFL dominated one game was deprived of any supply in the other. He has plenty of time to prove himself up forward.

Hansen can do just as well as Wilson in short term if not better. Wilson is 192cm and is playing to his full potential so im not sure how we can improve our list by adding him to our senior list. He doesn't have the attributes to make it as a AFL FF. He might well deserve another chance come round 12 to prove himself but i don't think he's worth the trouble in all honesty.

Notte is our long term solution for the position and we are developing him. Naturally you don't put all your eggs in one basket so im not against getting another KPF or KPD to sure up our Defenses should Brown move forward.

We need forwards who make the most of what they get and then start treating the causes (poor delivery and slow ball movement) rather than the symptoms (lack of a gun FF). So id be more inclided to give Strijk a shot mid season.

Wilson has good dukes and a long and fairly accurate kick. He is one dimensional, but as a FF that doesn't matter as he's there to kick goals. Wilson also can mark with his hands out, unlike Hansen.

Wilson has good dukes and a long and fairly accurate kick. He is one dimensional, but as a FF that doesn't matter as he's there to kick goals. Wilson also can mark with his hands out, unlike Hansen.

It does because he doesn't have the height or speed of the mark to be competitive at AFL level. Taller and Faster KPP's will monster him, after than he will get destroyed by rebound.

Football has changed, agility, goal awarness and the ability to break open a game with limited touches would be 101 of the modern FF. Fev is short but he's quick as well with a plethora of party tricks.

Look at Hawkins, he's tall and not that fast. Can't do anything beyond the norm and he struggles week in week out at Geelong.

Give Wilson another shot. But do go making calls like "We need to Elevate Wilson at Seasons end", he's done nothing at AFL level to justify such comments.

And this is what we need. Its a shame he is rookied as I would be arguing his case for a well deserved call up

Funny eh? The Dockers WAFL Players thread has also been hijacked by discussion of who should and shouldn't be in the team. It's degenerated into a bit more sledging than this thread, so far, but it's only a matter of time!:D

It does because he doesn't have the height or speed of the mark to be competitive at AFL level. Taller and Faster KPP's will monster him, after than he will get destroyed by rebound.

Football has changed, agility, goal awarness and the ability to break open a game with limited touches would be 101 of the modern FF. Fev is short but he's quick as well with a plethora of party tricks.

Look at Hawkins, he's tall and not that fast. Can't do anything beyond the norm and he struggles week in week out at Geelong.

Give Wilson another shot. But do go making calls like "We need to Elevate Wilson at Seasons end", he's done nothing at AFL level to justify such comments.

He shown some aptitude for the role last year, that form was good compared to Lynch and Hansen's work in the same role. He hasn't had any chances at AFL since. So it's impossible to judge form in the AFL at present. The reason I want him, is as back up. I want the team to move away from Lynch and Hansen. They're not our future and they hold no trade value.
Wilson is a better FF back up than AH and QL. If Notte and Brown are both successful forwards in the future, Wilson will have a better trade value than what we picked him up for. FF have a high price value. Given his tendency to kick a lot of goals each year, someone will want him.

If Wilson continues ripping it up in the WAFL over the coming years, while being on our senior list, WC will win out either way, whether that's performing well for the Eagles or in a trade. WC lose nothing if he's delisted too. It's win/win. WC must move past Hansen and Lynch and put them out to pasture or move them on though.

I'd think Podsiadly would be similar. He too carves up at VFL, yet wasn't recognized. I believe Wilson is AFL worthy.

And this is what we need. Its a shame he is rookied as I would be arguing his case for a well deserved call up

The difference between Hansen and Wilson is results at AFL level and potential. Hansen produces next to nothing at AFL for a senior player; Wilson showed good signs for an emerging FF at AFL. Their expected outputs are different, yet their results aren't too dissimilar. Wilson will likely to get better with more time in the role in the 1's, Hansen has shown he won't.

Someone, anyone with more than 2 brain cells, please possibly tell me how a 21 year old full forward has completely reached his potential.

What an absolute crock of shite. He's the same age as brown and i can tell you as far as kicking goals go's and sticking the dukes out and taking grabs go's he currently pisses all over brown as a FF.

I think people forget he's 21. TBH he should just be knocking on the door for games now, and with the amount of goals he's kicking he's certainly doing that.

I think it's pretty funy that Wilson has been pigeon holed as a FF.

He's more than capable of playing in a KP down back.

The area he has over Hansen is his hands, they are first class and as others have mentioned he marks with hands extended.

He's also capable of taking a contested mark as seen on the weekend against quality opponents, one a current AFL list, one formerly.

What he has over Brown is intangible, he knows when to lead, he knows where to lead, I also think he has this attribute over Lynch.

Something you cant measure but the areas he leads to generate convertable opportunities.

EH, you're dead wrong on his pace off the mark, it's more than passable at AFL level. If Lynch and Hansen can find a step he can find two.

Dead wrong about his height, 192cm too small? Pull the other one.

Now without jerking him off, he does have some pitfuls.

One, his turning circle isnt flash, on the lead he can change direction well enough, get him to turn around and it's a little slower.

Also, he cant handball, and by that it looks awkward and rarely hits the target flush, more of a vicinity pass than direct action :D

By in large the positives far out weigh the negatives.

He's also stupidly strong. IMO very similar player to Brad Smith. Unfortunately for him injury cut him down but he was given a shot at 26, Wilson has been tagged much earlier.

West Coast would be fools not to give him a crack at some stage.

At 21, a player on target to kick another 70+ goals at WAFL level is going to be looked at.

I like the bloke, think he should be given another crack soon.

And I think it's slightly more than a coincidence that his run of games last year coincided with our best patch of form, including the famous win over the Bulldogs in Melbourne. I know that's not much of an empirical argument but he does have the right ingredients, as MayneMan was saying.

He shown some aptitude for the role last year, that form was good compared to Lynch and Hansen's work in the same role. He hasn't had any chances at AFL since. So it's impossible to judge form in the AFL at present. The reason I want him, is as back up. I want the team to move away from Lynch and Hansen. They're not our future and they hold no trade value.
Wilson is a better FF back up than AH and QL. If Notte and Brown are both successful forwards in the future, Wilson will have a better trade value than what we picked him up for. FF have a high price value. Given his tendency to kick a lot of goals each year, someone will want him.

If Wilson continues ripping it up in the WAFL over the coming years, while being on our senior list, WC will win out either way, whether that's performing well for the Eagles or in a trade. WC lose nothing if he's delisted too. It's win/win. WC must move past Hansen and Lynch and put them out to pasture or move them on though.

I'd think Podsiadly would be similar. He too carves up at VFL, yet wasn't recognized. I believe Wilson is AFL worthy.

I agree when he was playing FF at the end of last year he looked good(we were winning games too in a dark year).

Pods was delisted by 2 other AFL clubs before he was drafted by the cats he was recognized but didnt show it for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back