DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
An interesting new wave curio from the early 1980's - not just because of Dale Bozzio's distinctive, syllabic style of singing wherein she almost resembles a female Bryan Ferry, but because drum supremo Terry Bozzio is the dude behind the kit - and he shows it at times on this song, with him aping Neil Peart with his precise beating of the toms:

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Not really a pro-Jesus song, but it's got the words 'Jesus Christ' in it, and it could be interpreted (albeit inadvertently) to be a criticism of those who take Jesus' name in vain (i.e. to appear better than others out of vanity):

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I think people will be having lots of parties around the world, so I may as well make reference to it. What stands out for me in this song is David Sylvian's style - he uses a more syllabic style ala Bryan Ferry in the verses, but then switches to a more drawling croon in the chorus. Steve Jansen's drumwork is also noteworthy, as is the guitar fuzz and saxophone bursts that punctuate the song and make it busy. You might think it's weird, but that busyness means that it's never boring:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CliffMcTainshaw

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I bought this Album when it came out in 1969 and despite looking after it really well, it was worn out by 1973, with lots of surface noise. In 1973 I bought an Akai 46D cassette deck. At the same time I got a new record to replace the old worn out one. It was the very first album I recorded. It has only ever been played to make a recording, just like all my other records that I purchased after that. The Akai cassette deck was a wonder, great performance and recordings that were far superior to pre recorded cassettes available to buy at the time and I spent a lot of time recording cassettes at the request of friends.
Great lyrics with a great singer and Larry Byrom's guitar playing is exceptional.

glitterball

Rookie
Jan 24, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think people will be having lots of parties around the world, so I may as well make reference to it. What stands out for me in this song is David Sylvian's style - he uses a more syllabic style ala Bryan Ferry in the verses, but then switches to a more drawling croon in the chorus. Steve Jansen's drumwork is also noteworthy, as is the guitar fuzz and saxophone bursts that punctuate the song and make it busy. You might think it's weird, but that busyness means that it's never boring:

Parties are fun. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad