What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

I first saw Wendy Matthews doing backing vocals, along with Kate Cebrano for the Models at the Kingston Hotel in Richmond. She was great then and got even better. She is one of Australia's great singers.
From her wonderful Album - Lily. There are some real greats on this Album, Booker T, T Bone Burnett, Jon Farriss, Alex Acuna and more.

The Day You Went Away,

Walk Away,

At times, Wendy for some reason, reminds me of Rita Coolidge. Something about her intonation. Hard to describe, but maybe a "slightly blocked nose" sound is the best I can do. A hint of velvet and breathiness.
In any event it made them quite different to most singers and both are truly mint.

Forgot how good Grouplove are. Probably the last great indie band

Anyone one of their songs could have won the last 5 Hottest 100s

Partially a credit to the band and partially an indictment on how s**t the winners have been

Can't get enough of Eidola this year. I've just had Degeneraterra and To Speak, To Listen on repeat non-stop all lock down. Both ripping albums.

Perfect mix of rock, post-hardcore and progressive elements for me.

Really looking forward to their new album, which unfortunately got delayed due to covid. Should be coming out in the new year though.

Onya Big Ship. Added your contribution to my car play-list.

Summer all but here, so some music to not take too seriously.

More Ennio, albeit with a different approach and a bit of fun. Music starts about 35 seconds in.

Little Peg setting her marker down and marching to the beat of a different drum. Classic early 60's sound.

And of course, some more Angie:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this band is toit(dude kills it on the triangle - amongst other things). Great vocals. Did not know they originally hail from Aus. Quality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back