What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia Day is approaching. I’ve put together my playlist for Australia Day, in no particular order. They are songs that are about Australia rather than my favourite Australian songs.
I’ve only used an artist once, otherwise some people like Ted Egan would have dominated.
I will have missed some of yours, so feel free to suggest any additions. ...
That's quite a collection and you got all the obvious ones including Che Shan. But being originally a country boy (and still identify as such even after so many years in the city), every so often (when not locked down) I visit "home", have a few drinks with old friends who never left, and old memories and dreams jump back to reality. Anyway I always relate to this great Australian country song (and yeah, I know - Cold Chisel = rock band, but in this case, spiritually this is a straight
out country ballad and one of the best) ... and there's also the video - it's not the very best sound quality (needs more volume) of those on offer, but with no supermodels, dancing prats or incromprehensible surreal gibberish, it instead depicts ordinary 1980'ish country folk, teeth missing and all, about as close to reality as one could ask -

That's quite a collection and you got all the obvious ones including Che Shan. But being originally a country boy (and still identify as such even after so many years in the city), every so often (when not locked down) I visit "home", have a few drinks with old friends who never left, and old memories and dreams jump back to reality. Anyway I always relate to this great Australian country song (and yeah, I know - Cold Chisel = rock band, but in this case, spiritually this is a straight
out country ballad and one of the best) ... and there's also the video - it's not the very best sound quality (needs more volume) of those on offer, but with no supermodels, dancing prats or incromprehensible surreal gibberish, it instead depicts ordinary 1980'ish country folk, teeth missing and all, about as close to reality as one could ask -

My dad had one in his front yard. My younger brother brought it home from school one year. My dad planted it. It looked as though it was dead at times but about 20 years later it flowered and then flowered every year. My whole family looked forward to seeing it in flower.
Anyway this is my sort of memory of many summers with my cousins in Gippsland.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the very best melodic hard rock albums of all time

Shihad - Pacifier (2002)

A very young Jimmy Paige (then a session musician) can be heard on lead. This is a great restoration of this clip. A very popular song, with some great versions. You could probably do a thread just on the different recordings of this classic John D. Loudermilk song.

The Nashville Teens were Jerry Lee Lewis' backing band on the Killer's legendary 1964 live album, Live At The Star Club. One of the best live albums of all time.

If you like that, then you will love this. PMJ are awesome!

Ahh, Morgan James

PMJ are great. I spent an hour last evening watching their YouTube videos.

Funny you posted All About That Bass. I'd like it much better without Casey Abrams. Couldn't stand him on America Idol. In contrast I was supposed to go to Hailey Reinhart's American Idol Hometown concert at Arlington Park Racecourse, but the weather was horrible that day.

Cheers to Professor Knowall for reminding me how much I love this version!
... and now I feel guilty for not including it ... I actually had it as one of the selections (hence why I singled it out in the narrative) then at the last minute switched it out for 'Gods Gonna Cut You Down'. Probably should've stuck with plan A.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back