what are your go to phrases to yell at the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Most of us are creatures of habit, you'll probably find that without knowing it you use the same lines all the time when you get angry or frustrated.

It can be liberating and cathartic to yell stuff at the footy, everyone else is doing it, its fun... and harmless

Some people do it like performance art, they take the stage like a comedian and get he crowd laughing with their wit, some make you cringe with their parochial ranting's, some just winge... but I do find it funny that the exact same lines come out of the same mouths each week with the group I go with - like clock work.

So what are your go to lines?

I think we can safely omit BALLL! that's a given for all and sundry, or RUN!! that's a given any time anyone gets it in space.. or FIFTY!! anytime anyone gets contested .00005secs+ after a mark.

My old man says about 59 times a game..KICK THE BLOODY THNG!! usually after the third consecutive handball in defence - can usually be followed by WHY DID YOU KICK IT THERE??

my mate says HES BEEN DOING IT ALL DAY UMP!! is usually yelled about 5 mins into the first quarter about some shifty opponent

HOWS HIS HEAD UMP? the classic head high non free kick for us
HASNT GOT IT! ditto..

Im usually in the nose bleed so can see stuff unfolding , i'm usually good for few WE'RE ON HERE!! when a switch to the fat side looms and we have a free man...

OH, GET HIM OFF! usually directed at Travis Colyer after he has fumbled said switch and cost a certain goal...

LOCK IT IN! - usually after hes slightly redeemed and kicked into our 50 to a 1 on 3 and i'm trying to make a win of the switch I asked for.

BLOW THE SIREN - we have just gone a goal up at the start of the last and i'm ready to cash in and go.

HANDY POINT! - gone 7 up with any amount of time to play...even if player missed point blank for ten meters out.

anyway - anyone else got any go to phrases from you or your mates?

WITHOUT alcohol:
  • Acceptable behaviour
  • Cheering, followed with a decent fist pump
  • Positive reinforcement
  • Discuss strategy of the game

WITH alcohol:
  • (at umpiring): THAT'S DIABOLICAL!
  • (at umpiring): WHAT IS YOUR JOB!!!!!?
  • (at umpiring): GILL IS SHAKING HANDS WITH SATAN!
  • (at a win): high five strangers and cheer
  • (at a close win): hug as many strangers as possible
  • (when the other team shanks the ball): various references to Lamb Shanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back