What can be done for Nelson?

Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Will Nelson, Victoria ever produce an AFL footballer?
Situated in the lower South West of Victoria, close to the South Australian border, is the small fishing village of Nelson. In the 2006 census, the population was 226. Time seems to stand still in the quiet surrounds of the Glenelg River system, and we can only assume that the number remains 226 in 2018. Boasting a wide variety of accommodation, a BP servo (open till 7), a Telstra payphone, the famous Nelson Hotel and the serene Oxbow Lake, and the ocean just a short stroll away, you would think Nelson had everything going for it. There's even a Kiosk and a playground by the lake, with ice-cream and treats for sale to all.

But there's just one thing I can't quite put my finger on. Why, with all these resources at its disposal, has Nelson failed to produce an AFL footballer? There's ample space here for skills to be honed at Annie Kerr Reserve, just by the lake. Is it the demographic of the population? Do they not have enough access to footballs? With Mount Gambier just 35 clicks to the west and Portland 70 to the east, Nelson is smack bang in the middle of footballing heartland.

Is fishing overtaking football as the number one sport in Victoria? I've seen a number of fishermen during my short stay in the town, yet not a single football anywhere.

What can be done to improve the prospects of producing AFL capable talent in the future at Nelson, and who is responsible for the current predicament?

My first suggestion would be to construct a world class training facility at Annie Kerr Reserve. A state of the art biomechanics and physical training team could be employed at the institute, with resident coaches rotating through season by season to provide exposure to a variety of play-styles and specific training focus points towards the next generation of footballing talent. Kevin Sheedy would be a good choice to run the facility over the first year.
Funding would need to be provided by the government or the AFL, and this investment in to grass roots development of the game will surely pay for itself in time.

SCzpUBF.jpg

Pictured: Annie Kerr Reserve, proposed site of the Nelson Institute of Australian Football (NIAF)

There's something OP needs to know. There was a boy who would of made the grade. He was called Jack and he could leap higher than anyone Nelson had ever produced before. One late afternoon, he jumped so high that onlookers say he seemed to touch the sky. The perfect mark. Only to be struck by lightning. They say his ghost still haunts the Annie Kerr reserve taking speccies on any young up and comer who dares think they have what it takes.

Could it be that the good folks of Nelson might not want the overdevelopment that a footy team, and the inevitable interaction with their region would bring?

Real estate developers are allowed to footy right?

Haha I like the enthusiasm OP. I dont think there is even any children that live in Nelson. Mostly Old people. Been through many times, it seems a shame such a great spot could be home to so many tumble weeds. Good for fishing/camping and I hear they do get a bit of business over the Xmas/NY holidays.

Back