What do you think it will take for us to win the flag this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing game overall, Darling's accuracy was atrocious, but Carlton gave us the yips. We didn't play with authority. It was more than the MCG hoodoo, the fadeout in the last quarter had shades of last week. The annoying Fox Footy Commentators hyperventilating every time Carlton got it out of their half back didn't help things...(not that the players can hear them, of course, but for my nerves/patience). Darling just needs to really learn to practice his goal kicking. And what happened to the Priddis of old?

But at least it helps we did win at the MCG...but we should've won by at least 24-30 points.

Obviously Darling had a shocker today, but hit the post twice, could have been 2.3, and he's been outstanding all season with his goalkicking, think was running at 32.10 before today.

For the thread topic as well, I think confidence and belief. I think we've got our inside game looking much better with Yeo stepping up and should have Sheed come finals time. If we build momentum by getting one or two wins against GWS, Hawthorn and the Crows, and are competitive in all three, we could hit our straps finals time and give it a shake. We could be on a 7 game winning streak by the time we play GWS, wouldn't be the worst way to go into the end of the season.

With Sheed & Naitanui soon coming back, I thought it'd be good to discuss what our Best 22 should be heading into finals. I think we have a fairly settled top 30 to choose from.

FB: Sheppard, Mackenzie, Schofield
HB: Wellingham, Barrass, Hurn
C: Masten, Priddis, Gaff
HF: Yeo, McGovern, Darling
F: Cripps, Kennedy, LeCras
R: Naitanui, Redden, Shuey
I: Lycett, Butler, Sheed, Hill
E: Jetta, Duggan, Nelson, Hutchings, Ellis, Brown, McGinnity, Giles

It was hard to leave out Jetta, Duggan & Nelson as they all offer something different (at least on paper with Jetta).

I doubt Simmo will push Gov forward though. If not, Schofield drops out for Jetta or Duggan.
I also have high hopes that Redden plays to his potential in the middle, not on the flank as he has been. If he spuds it up again, then Nelson comes in.

The last 5 emergencies are decent options as injury replacements.

Thoughts?

The statistics are against us here. The author thinks we are no chance but he also has Hawthorn only at third-best for the flag. Beat Adelaide in the last round and we would be right in it ... (wishful thinking...)

Last edited:
What we need is aliens to come down to earth with a giant memory erasing device to wipe the slate clean of everyone who has played and follows footy, then swap our current players for the Hawks players and then re-set everyone's minds so they dont think anything of it. Then we may win.

Did you guys know that in our last premiership year, from round 5 to 15, an 11 game stretch, we were only in front at 3QT in one of those games (by 1 point)?

We ended up winning 7 of those 11 games, but premierships need a lot more luck than people like to acknowledge sometimes. The Hawks have had it in their close wins, something they didn't get last year. The Bulldogs might have been derailed by bad luck this season, and we could see teams with a great W-L record still miss out on the four.

What we need is aliens to come down to earth with a giant memory erasing device to wipe the slate clean of everyone who has played and follows footy, then swap our current players for the Hawks players and then re-set everyone's minds so they dont think anything of it. Then we may win.

Forget the memory erasing device (hey, that's not bad!) ........can any of these aliens play midfield?

Did you guys know that in our last premiership year, from round 5 to 15, an 11 game stretch, we were only in front at 3QT in one of those games (by 1 point)?

We ended up winning 7 of those 11 games, but premierships need a lot more luck than people like to acknowledge sometimes. The Hawks have had it in their close wins, something they didn't get last year. The Bulldogs might have been derailed by bad luck this season, and we could see teams with a great W-L record still miss out on the four.

They also have an actual midfield..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

upload_2016-8-1_13-21-9.png
That's what it will take. Chance of it happening? I would say somewhere in the vicinity of 1%. My hopes for this season are now to somehow line up against the Roos in the finals and knock them out for the 3rd time in 5 years just for laughs. :D

View attachment 271990
That's what it will take. Chance of it happening? I would say somewhere in the vicinity of 1%. My hopes for this season are now to somehow line up against the Roos in the finals and knock them out for the 3rd time in 5 years just for laughs. :D
I suppose we cant be too disspointed going out of finals week one now though, everythings a bonus, be surprised if we showed some heart come finals though considering it hasn't been ticking all year.

View attachment 271990
In a multiverse where there are an infinite number of alternate time lines this is 100% guaranteed in one of them.

In a multiverse where there are an infinite number of alternate time lines this is 100% guaranteed in one of them.
Yes. In the timeline where all teams in the top 8 except us are found to be drug cheats. They all get relegated out of the finals, bringing in 9th-15th place instead. West Coast gets given the minor premiership and a home finals run up to the big dance before flat-tracking our way to a flag. As a result, our premiership is labeled "tainted" by the media, as we only won it because the other clubs were using drugs.

There is a sort of beautiful symmetry here: Win a flag in 2006 "because we were on drugs", then win a flag in 2016 because we weren't on drugs. Both get labeled tainted.

giphy.gif

View attachment 271990
If we weren't so horrid away from home I'd be with you with beating an injury riddled dogs and then a finals virgin GWS, Hawks would go balls deep into our butts tho

View attachment 271990

The only way we win a g,age is win last four games ....yeah ok it's not likely but still mathematically possible

Then win first final and get a home prelim ......

Win that and then the team we are playing on the grand final can't find the MCG and the game starts early .......we kick the first 7 goals ......however we get run down but hang on by a point

Yeah yeah.

I reckon we could beat Dogs or roos in melbourne, that's the only chance we'd have of winning an away final, and only because the G wouldn't be a massive advantage for either of those sides. Never know about GWS. Anyone else, would destroy us.

I reckon we could beat Dogs or roos in melbourne, that's the only chance we'd have of winning an away final, and only because the G wouldn't be a massive advantage for either of those sides. Never know about GWS. Anyone else, would destroy us.

Anywhere east of Kalgoorlie we are stuffed

Let's be fair dinkum

Those games would be at Ethiad though? But i agree that if we were to play away , playing those 2 would be the easier option. Say we finish 7th v Bullies and win do we play the next game at home?

Those games would be at Ethiad though? But i agree that if we were to play away , playing those 2 would be the easier option. Say we finish 7th v Bullies and win do we play the next game at home?
Nope. We would spend every week on the road up to the grand final provided we got that far. Might as well stay in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back