• Possibly 8th

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2024 is out. WCE have a relatively easy home schedule. I expect them to win at least 85% of the Perth games and 35% of the away games. That is at least 14 games in 2024.

I'm with this guy, 2024 is the new 2011! Spoon to Prelim baby!! ;)

I don't want to overdo the Hopium, but there are a lot of similarities between 2011/2024 actually:
  • about 5 years post flag
  • core of prem/AA players still around,
  • Finished spoon, second bottom, and just out of finals in the previous 3 years
  • still got the prem coach after hanging on, but new supporting cast

Last edited:
I'm with this guy, 2024 is the new 2011! Spoon to Prelim baby!! ;)

I don't want to overdo the Hopium, but there are actually a lot of similarities between 2011/2024 actually:
  • about 5 years post flag
  • core of prem/AA players still around,
  • Finished spoon, second bottom, and just out of finals in the previous 3 years
  • still got the prem coach after hanging on, but new supporting cast
Prelim may be a stretch, but I am truly a believer that if we can get some luck with injury and our senior experienced core in - TB, Gov, Yeoy, Oscar, TK, Cole, Cripps and Duggan can all play 16-17 + games, we should be winning 8-10 games at a minimum.

Our young group coming through have all shown impressive signs and they need to continue to build on that this year. Of the 10 guys that have come through the draft and mid season draft in the last 2 years (before this years crop), we need 7-8 of them (at least) to continue to improve on what they have shown the last two years, for us to win the 8-10.

Post draft, expectations and hopium have risen.
The big difference this season will be the fall in blow-outs, and a more threatening midfield>forward zone. (depending on injuries)
We can again look respectable with maybe up to 8 wins and improved percentage.

Last edited:

Can’t see us winning more than 5 games.
This rebuild isnt going to happen over night.
The list last year was just terrible.
Yeo is cooked and don’t expect much out of Sheed and Gaff.
Looking fwd to watching the young kids play from our last 2 drafts

I watched the WB V WCE replay last night , that was a great effort the players put in to Win for Simmo .. It was bodies on the line and a 4 qrt effort that rocked the Bulldogs ..
If we bring that attitude and work rate I think we could get at least 6 or 7 Wins this year if the core senior players Kelly ,Allen ,Gov ,Darling ,Duggan ,Ryan ,Barrass and Cripps can be available to play most weeks ..

Can’t see us winning more than 5 games.
This rebuild isnt going to happen over night.
The list last year was just terrible.
Yeo is cooked and don’t expect much out of Sheed and Gaff.
Looking fwd to watching the young kids play from our last 2 drafts
You can add Darling to that list, maybe Gov too.

Darling is no where near cooked IMO.
Played injured most of the year.

Injury free and in a hopefully better side will be good.

Gov was playing good footy before he got injured.
Hope MC will ‘manage’ most of the established players - some for a couple of games but others like Yeo or Gov for several games.
It would not only help keep them on the park going at full throttle, but also to create spaces for the next generation.
Also for younger established players - like Oscar - it might help preserve them for when we really need them (like in a few years when we’re up and about).
And if that strategy cost a game or two it certainly wouldn’t hurt us at the draft. 😀

Hope MC will ‘manage’ most of the established players - some for a couple of games but others like Yeo or Gov for several games.
It would not only help keep them on the park going at full throttle, but also to create spaces for the next generation.
Also for younger established players - like Oscar - it might help preserve them for when we really need them (like in a few years when we’re up and about).
And if that strategy cost a game or two it certainly wouldn’t hurt us at the draft. 😀

8b8c59463532a4bc721b515aad9ad8d5.gif

Something to consider from Duffield in terms of what we want from next year

Question for West Coast fans: If you could choose one – and only one – of the following options which one would it be?
Option one: In 2024 Harley Reid wins the Rising Star award. Reuben Ginbey, Elijah Hewett and Noah Long all build on their 2023 AFL performances. But the club’s senior players continue to battle injury.

Option two: In 2024 Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, Long and co just go okay but stay healthy. However, Tim Kelly, Elliot Yeo, Jeremy McGovern, Tom Barrass, Oscar Allen, Jack Darling, Jamie Cripps, Liam Ryan, Dom Sheed, Liam Duggan and Andrew Gaff all play at least 18 games.

Be careful what you wish for.

Option one points to a bright future but another very tough year – fewer than six wins.

Option two points to the youngsters still having a lot of proving to do, but a season where seven to 10 wins might be possible.

And just as time travel movies always come with the warning that different scenarios involving the past will influence the present and the future, so will the 2024 performances of the Eagles stars of the past influence the outcomes of the club’s youngsters in the future.

Where long-term development is concerned, it is far better for Reid, Ginbey, Hewett and co to play in teams that win and compete regularly, rather than ones that do so only occasionally.

The factor that made West Coast’s crash of 2022-23 so hard to predict was that it wasn’t based on birth certificates, but rather suddenly deteriorating injury profiles.

Shannon Hurn might have retired just before his 36th birthday and Luke Shuey just after his 33rd. Nic Naitanui retired at the same age as Shuey having barely played after turning 32.

But most of the rest of the core group of West Coast veterans are young enough, if they stay fit enough, to play some decent football in 2024.

Yeo, who hasn’t played a full campaign in four seasons since being beset by osteitis pubis in 2020, only turned 30 seven weeks ago.

Sheed, who has played just 16 of the club’s last 45 games, won’t turn 29 until April next year. McGovern, who has played only 46 of the club’s last 85 games, won’t turn 32 until April next year. The same goes for Cripps, who missed 11 games this year.

Ryan, who missed 20 of the club’s 23 games this year, is just 27. Barrass is 28, Kelly 29.

Even Gaff and Darling, both of whom have seemed to be in decline in the past two seasons, will be 32 next year

Of that group of older players: Kelly, McGovern, Darling, Yeo, Ryan and Gaff have been All-Australians while Barrass was an All-Australian nominee in 2022 and won the club’s best and fairest the same year.

Allen and Duggan are the two most likely frontrunners for the club’s 2024 captaincy and finished second and third behind Kelly in the 2023 best and fairest.

Allen’s 53 goals from 24 games at the age of 24 in front of a misfiring – and often uncompetitive – midfield stamped him as a star. And despite missing half of the 2023 season with a broken ankle Cripps, at 31, remains both one of the most underrated players in the competition and one of the most productive and durable of the Eagles oldies.

When CODE Sports recently selected West Coast’s best possible team for round one next season and allowed for Reid to be in that team, 16 of the 23 players were aged 25 or older.

That’s the 11 mentioned here, plus former Lions defender Alex Witherden, former Demon Jayden Hunt, 2018 premiership defender Tom Cole, former Giants ruckman Matt Flynn and former Cat Jamaine Jones.

The team was rounded out by 21-year-old Hawthorn recruit Tyler Brockman, much improved ruckman Bailey Williams and the kids: Reid, Hewett, Ginbey, Noah Long and defender Brady Hough.

Ryan Maric, Campbell Chesser, Luke Edwards, Jake Waterman, Josh Rotham and Rhett Bazzo were all overlooked. Maric, Chesser, Edwards and Bazzo, in particular, would all be players that coach Adam Simpson should be wanting to give games to with an eye to the future.

Simpson’s first wish would be that he gets to make the choice.

In the past two seasons he has had no choice.

If you were available you played.

If West Coast can somehow keep their veterans available more often, they may play significantly better than we expect them to in 2024. And that would be a good thing for their kids, even if they have to earn their spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The answer entirely depends on who simmo plays and in what positions.

If round one we have gaff sheed Yeo in the middle, Rotham withered down back, then he has no interest in getting game time into the new crop in what should be there prefered positions.

If Yeo is down back, ginbey Hewett reid in the middle with Chesser Hough on the wings. Gaff in the 2nds then our rebuild starts.

Obviously some nuanced team sheets to avoid 100 point floggings but I'm not interested in shirt term sugar hits.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't even care about the wins TBH.

So long as:
  • The floggings and unnaceptable embarassment stops
  • The new wave of generation next Eagles continue to get games
  • The underperforming seniors piss off if their form dips and they are treated like any other depth player who goes to the WAFL.
  • Somebody goes to the left of screen after a full back kick in.
It's going to be a fun year but i'm already looking forward to more on field personnel change again in season 2025.

Darling is no where near cooked IMO.
Played injured most of the year.

Injury free and in a hopefully better side will be good.

Gov was playing good footy before he got injured.
Are you joking about Darling? he's been cooked since 2020, maybe he can play as a forward that makes dummy leads but thats about it, Oscar Allen & Waterman should be our two main forwards going into the season.

Gov was woeful against Adelaide in the last game, maybe it was a one off but his days as a top notch defender are behind him, he's played 46 games in the last 4 seasons & like Yeo I really doubt he can ever recover his best form. Hope I'm wrong I really want our % next season to improve a lot on last year at the very least in terms of achievements for the side.

On Duffield's article. Definitely option 1, this rebuild isn't even near half complete we dont' need 10 wins this season, around half that would be suffice, we need more draft picks in 2024 than we did in 2023.

Last edited:
Went into 2023 full of optimism. Season couldn't get any worse than 2022.
Everyone training the house down, looking super fit.

Not making that same mistake this time around!

Youth developing and a phasing out of credits from the "credits in the bank" crew is all I want to see of season 2024.

Look we are all going to be slapped in the face when season starts.

When second year ginbey is dubbed as the second best midfielder by many on the board. Assuming Yeo is backline. Then we are in a world of pain.

I think sheed is number 2 but my statement is still correct in that many dub ginbey as ahead of sheed.

Ideally we sleep until draft 2025
nana changing GIF

Option 2 but with a Gaff replaced clause.
Want another yr under last yrs recruits belts and 2 pre-seasons under this yrs crop.
Love the no injuries idea.
Plus another nice early hit at next yrs draft that has by then hopefully had the compromised stuff sorted out!

Last edited:
Went into 2023 full of optimism. Season couldn't get any worse than 2022.
Everyone training the house down, looking super fit.

Not making that same mistake this time around!

Youth developing and a phasing out of credits from the "credits in the bank" crew is all I want to see of season 2024.

It's fun to get a bit excited about the yoof but I'm still pretty firm in my belief we will not escape the bottom 4. Our 20-24yo band looks desolate. Even if we have a bright start there is no way we will get enough output from our kids across a gruelling season. One or two of our vets go down and it will likely get pretty ugly again.

We've pruned out a stack of dead wood, next couple of years will be about green shoots before we worry about blossoming into something more substantial.

Back