Autopsy RND 15: "Another 100+ Loss" Negatives v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Shuey going around again probably pushed them to axe someone and he just happened to not be Yeo or Kelly.
If Shuey retired he probably would have stayed on (which was my preferred situation).

So the bloke to axe was the bloke who is 35 years of age and breaks down every second week … age stops everyone and he shouldn’t have had the option of playing on, he had that last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Im not normally one to agree with the garbage football media, but I think this article speaks some truth. The upper management really needs some type of review and accountability.

Whilst I dont necessarily blame Simmo for our current state, I think the writing is on the walll. He may as well go at the end of the season rather than hang around for 2 more years getting whipped by the media only to get sacked as the Eagles finally start to show some small signs of improvement (i hope) at the bottom of the ladder... Similar to an aging list, Simmo is just simply not going to last through the rebuild to our next premiership...

New list, new coach, new CEO - New life.

We can't go anywhere whilst players can't get on the park. How bloody hard can the ground at MRP be? 😳

Whatever we do, simmo, nesbitt, players etc, the S&C can't be this bad in a professional sporting club.

It's a standard corporate "have to say something" letter that doesn't really say anything except "soz gais". I'm not sure why people are getting mad at this? They're also come out and said "we're sticking by Simmo". Agree with it or not, you have to admit they're black belts at shutting down the media.

Every other coach in the history of the game with a 40 game record one third as bad as Simmo has endured weeks of speculation and constant chipping away by the media until they inevitably get sacked. This is the first case in the history of the AFL where the club shuts down the media, and the media walk away going, "wasn't anything to see there". This is unchartered territory and to be honest I'm finding it fascinating.

The other thing is, the rebuild has nothing to do with incompetence. The failures of 2019 and 2020 did, but the rebuild not so (yet, anyway).

10 years without a top 10 draft pick
Then we traded out 2nd and 3rd rounder for TK, Redden, Cripps.
Our older players have massive injury problems

So there's actually legit reasons. It's yet to be seen how Chesser over Hobbs turns out. It's yet to be seen how Ginbey/Hewitt over Warlord turns out.

Nicnat, Shuey, Gov, Gaff, Sheed, Darling, Hurn, and Yeo are all on the scrapheap for various reasons - old, injury, just plain s**t etc. We are facing what you say we're facing - the vortex - a whole heap of kids with not enough older players to protect them, mentor them, and ease them into it. But that's no fault of the club nor coach. That's just how the cookie has crumbled.

The bold , it is incompetent that we are only starting the rebuild now, we should be 2 years into this, yet here we are now facing at least another 2 to 3 years of pathetic performances due to not reading the room at the end of 2021 and seeing the likes of Shuey, Gov, Hurn, Nic, Cripps,Sheed, Gaff and Yeo were heading down not up , and injuries would be the norm for them, not something rare. I understand you cannot chop them all at one, but of that eight 3 should have been moved on the end of 2021 ( Hurn, Gaff & Nic ) and another 3 ( Cripps, Sheed and Shuey ) at the end of 2022, but no the geniuses running the club thought it was a good idea to extend their contracts, that is incompetent, at least we could have made some inroads, but here we sit it being at least another 3 years before they are all gone.

The bold , it is incompetent that we are only starting the rebuild now, we should be 2 years into this, yet here we are now facing at least another 2 to 3 years of pathetic performances due to not reading the room at the end of 2021 and seeing the likes of Shuey, Gov, Hurn, Nic, Cripps,Sheed, Gaff and Yeo were heading down not up , and injuries would be the norm for them, not something rare. I understand you cannot chop them all at one, but of that eight 3 should have been moved on the end of 2021 ( Hurn, Gaff & Nic ) and another 3 ( Cripps, Sheed and Shuey ) at the end of 2022, but no the geniuses running the club thought it was a good idea to extend their contracts, that is incompetent, at least we could have made some inroads, but here we sit it being at least another 3 years before they are all gone.
The rebuild to my mind started with Chesser drafting and progressive retiremenst such as Redden

The rebuild to my mind started with Chesser drafting and progressive retiremenst such as Redden

The crazy thing with that is, Redden should have not been the first to be pushed, that is how useless the people are running our club at the moment.

Last edited:
Go back to the 2021 and 2022 drafts and tell me which 3 players (at the end of each draft) you would have picked to replace those you delisted. Then explain to me how they would make us better.

The club knew it needed to commit to the draft from 2021 onwards and has. Our biggest failing since then has not being able to keep players fit.

Ziad and Rowan summarised it perfectly below, but I will add;

The room reading failure was 2019 and 2020. Simmo failed to see his team were jaded by the game plan and didn't adapt accordingly.

I think the lack of effort against Swans is the same issue that has been left to fester.

But with the injuries and lack of draft picks, we're always going to be bottom for regardless.

Going forward, the question is, do our older players have the right mindset to lead by example? We'll only know once Simmo is removed. If they don't, we need to trade them our for 3rd and 4th rounders and bring in similar type players who don't have baggage. We must resist using our organic draft picks on recycled players.

Ziad and Rowan summarised it perfectly below, but I will add;

The room reading failure was 2019 and 2020. Simmo failed to see his team were jaded by the game plan and didn't adapt accordingly.

I think the lack of effort against Swans is the same issue that has been left to fester.

But with the injuries and lack of draft picks, we're always going to be bottom for regardless.

Going forward, the question is, do our older players have the right mindset to lead by example? We'll only know once Simmo is removed. If they don't, we need to trade them our for 3rd and 4th rounders and bring in similar type players who don't have baggage. We must resist using our organic draft picks on recycled p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bock and Gunston summarised it perfectly below, but I will add;

Going forward, the question is, do our older players have the right mindset to lead by example? We'll only know once Simmo is removed. If they don't, we need to trade them our for 3rd and 4th rounders and bring in similar type players who don't have baggage. We must resist using our organic draft picks on recycled players.

Bock and Gunston summarised it perfectly below, but I will add;

It all goes back to those glorious days where we would be flatracking teams in 2019 and then totally check out for a quarter and let the 10-12 goal win become 4-5 goals wins because percentage doesn’t matter ( until it did) most here thought people were to hard on the players saying we should just be happy we won… it was the start of standards slipping and it being accepted and backed up. It’s been downhill since then

It all goes back to those glorious days where we would be flatracking teams in 2019 and then totally check out for a quarter and let the 10-12 goal win become 4-5 goals wins because percentage doesn’t matter ( until it did) most here thought people were to hard on the players saying we should just be happy we won… it was the start of standards slipping and it being accepted and backed up. It’s been downhill since then
100%. Was so angry in 2019.

I felt we couldn't get everyone buying in at the same time. Shep, Nic, and Gaff were bull at a gate wanting the premiership success the others had. But the Darling and Sheed would be tuned off, then they'd come good and 2 or 3 other players would be tuned off. When the crunch moments came, we just didn't want to win the contested ball. We took the easy route and zoned off and coralled.

Nic should have been moved on the year he won the F+B. That would have been a bold decision, popular too.:drunk:

Go back to the 2021 and 2022 drafts and tell me which 3 players (at the end of each draft) you would have picked to replace those you delisted. Then explain to me how they would make us better.

The club knew it needed to commit to the draft from 2021 onwards and has. Our biggest failing since then has not being able to keep players fit.

Any 3 would have been better than what we have got of those in the last few years, youngsters will get on the park and actually give a damn, compared to the old brigade who miss more than they have played in the last 3 years.

Nothing much you can say really other than the club is a debacle , the whole club needs a full investigation starting with
a) Strength and Conditioning
b) List Management
c) Player Development
d) Recruitment
All essential areas to investigate but I think the CEO/Executive should be at the top of the pile.

All essential areas to investigate but I think the CEO/Executive should be at the top of the pile.

Thats right. When so many areas are failing having the people in charge who oversaw the failure be in charge of the cleanup is not a good idea and why I don't support Simpson being the fall guy for this.

As this isn't a cyclical thing. No team should be this bad. Hawthorn have slashed and burned their list and beat us by 122 points a few weeks ago. That Hawks team is as bad as you should get in the modern era if you take that route. You shouldn't be sitting 28% below them with less wins when you've kept the old guard around to show the young guys how it's done.
Their worst year during this list rebuild so far is 5-12 84% during 2020 season. And i'm not using them as an example that they will be successful in the future because of it. I just believe they were super aggressive and arguably you are seeing a very young inexperienced list getting belted each week outperforming ours.

This is club wide and not dependent of if the coach can coach or not. IMO Simpson can. He has his failings. I've pointed out before building a squad mentality means it's difficult to move players on when they need to be particularly if they've had success. It's a coaching style and one that can do well. All coaching styles have positives and negatives. Our current predicament has not been helped by his coaching style but it's not because of it.

But I would like fresh eyes over the management of the club to determine if what Simpson is doing has merit or if we are pissing in the wind before we move Simpson on.

I want Nissie gone and then have the new person order the mass review. Fresh eyes over all the departments.
Look into the training ground too, the number of ankle injuries the last 2 years is just madness.
Can look at the head coach after all the other areas have been cleansed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back