Autopsy RND 15: "Another 100+ Loss" Negatives v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

As this isn't a cyclical thing.
Yes it is. And it's an injury thing. And it's a "coach has lost the players" thing.

No team should be this bad. Hawthorn have slashed and burned their list and beat us by 122 points a few weeks ago. That Hawks team is as bad as you should get in the modern era if you take that route. You shouldn't be sitting 28% below them with less wins when you've kept the old guard around to show the young guys how it's done.
Their worst year during this list rebuild so far is 5-12 84% during 2020 season. And i'm not using them as an example that they will be successful in the future because of it. I just believe they were super aggressive and arguably you are seeing a very young inexperienced list getting belted each week outperforming ours.
They're 3-4 years ahead of us in their rebuild and don't have a lot to show for it. As dire as it is right now, I prefer our position.

But I would like fresh eyes over the management of the club to determine if what Simpson is doing has merit or if we are pissing in the wind before we move Simpson on.
170pt loss. What more do you need to know?

He's rebuilding through the draft. This gets a tick.
But he has lost the senior players. This means at some point, he has to go. If North beat us and it puts them 2 games and percentage ahead with 4 games to go, that would be a good time.

We had 8 players with less than 20 games experience, they had 1.
We had 4 players with +150 games they had 6.
we had 2 players with 50-100 games they had 7.
Our experienced players that were actually putting in were gassed by 3/4 time and the young guys were gassed about a month ago.

It was a near full AFL team playing at home against half a colts side with a smattering of experience most of which were either cooked or injured.

Negative - Media backlash on how crap we are and sack the coach, drop the old players, bring in youth comments. All without a little bit of actual insight into how and why we are dishing up what we are.

Negative - Media backlash on how crap we are and sack the coach, drop the old players, bring in youth comments. All without a little bit of actual insight into how and why we are dishing up what we are.
I have an issue with what Kane Cornes said. If he's saying that for Reid, then he's pretty much saying it for any player.

The AFL need to have a word to him about that.

Our experienced players that were actually putting in were gassed by 3/4 time and the young guys were gassed about a month ago.

It was a near full AFL team playing at home against half a colts side with a smattering of experience most of which were either cooked or injured.

So they were ok for the 11 goal 3rd quarter?

So they were ok for the 11 goal 3rd quarter?
Remember in 2020 it dawned on Simmo that his players just didn't want to contest the hard ball. He'd come into a presser and lament this fact and say he'd go away and talk to the players. Then his players turned up to 2022 fat and unfit.

They just don't want to play for him and won't tell him directly (until last Saturday). Up until now they've been dropping 100 point breadcrumbs.

Damn.

So that email was it?

Nothing else? No press conference or anything?
While we may want answers, put yourself in the shoes of Eagles staff for a moment. Would you want to hold a press conference? What is there to be gained from holding one?

Sometimes it's better to put the headphones on and just get to work

When the ground anounce introduced teh Swans by position - it was clear we were cooked buiog time. Ant the 'old' players put in - but its a team game and we lack pace seriously young and old. 8 players U 20 games were lost under an avalanche - we lost at the contest and were destroyed outside.

When the ground anounceer introduced the Swans by position - it was clear we were cooked big time. Ann the 'old' players put in - but its a team game and we lack pace seriously young and old. 8 players U 20 games were lost under an avalanche - we lost at the contest and were destroyed outside.
Staggering the people who want an instant fix- just flick a switch. We lack cattle, class, running power and skill. Its long road

Last edited:
Staggering the people woh want an instant fix- just flick a switch. We lack cattle, class, running power and skill. Its long road
Hitting the pi$$ won't make you feel any better.......having read your last couple of posts, you should've stopped after the fifth shot of Sambuca.

Hitting the pi$$ won't make you feel any better.......having read your last couple of posts, you should've stopped after the fifth shot of Sambuca.
no point dreaming up innaccuracies just because facts dont agree with your hysteria. I wish I could see some logic in your comment but sadly its 100% absent.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love it if there were a missed tackles stat. I imagine we’d be leading it by a country mile

It honestly feels like, every time we step out to play, it’s 1sts v 2nds pre season training. We are so, so far behind.

The supporters saw this from a mile of

I can't see the point in dumping Simmo until we get a club-wide review. But a couple of years back when we re-started drafting new players (but not a 'rebuild' mind you) that would've been the time to go to a new coach. One who was in for half a dozen years or even more. However, it seemed 'rebuild' was a dirty word for our admin - witness the Chairman talking pre-season about making the finals! Instead they backed in a core of ageing players surrounded by players who have not shown to be much more than depth (Petro, XON, Waterman, Rotham etc etc etc).

I think another relevant factor was that Geelong showed you could have perennial success with a similarly ageing list. But the big difference was they traded far more aggressively and far smarter than us. For example: Cameron, Rowan, Smith, Stengle etc. They've had Tuohy as an Irish recruit. And the Bruhn/Henry hustle was a masterstroke. (Sure they've had some busts as well e.g. Daulaus). Point being, they've cycled far more players through than we have and in doing so supplemented their ageing list.

We did get TK (for overs) and also JJ, Hunt, Witherden and SPS. JJ looks very capable, Hunt is serviceable enough but will not be around for our next tilt (and I've not heard of him being a great leader) while Witherden and SPS are depth players at best.

Our list management strategy was to put all our eggs in one very creaky old basket. Now the bottom has fallen out. There's a surprise!

I would love it if the players all just sat on the ground at the opening bounce next week.

It's a total farce anyway, we have multiple players out on the ground who shouldn't be selected as they are injured.

Just call the AFL out on our situation.
we should do what we did at the start of last season. declare all injured players unavailable for selection and dip into the WAFL.

Chesser has far more athletic ability than Duggan, Jordan Dawson without as good a kick would be what I hope he can be.
yeah but does he have the smarts and drive to make best use of what he has?

i think one of our most athletic players i remember us having was Brent Staker. He didnt make use of what his potential was

Probably why Sydney didn't take their foot off the throat all game when often teams hang back a bit once the game is won.

Factor in our record at the SCG is as bad as Kardinia and we lack synergy despite players returning. A number of factors caused the record breaking loss.

I still expect a few competitive games to end the season when returning players gel more, The potential for a couple wins absolutely.

(hopefully North win another game so we can win a couple and still end up with pick 1) :straining:

Never seen so many missed/broken tackles. It was like either the Sydney players were lathered in eucalyptus oil, or our guys were told to release halfway through the tackle to ensure no one gets rubbed out for a dangerous tackle. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter

Never seen so many missed/broken tackles. It was like either the Sydney players were lathered in eucalyptus oil, or our guys were told to release halfway through the tackle to ensure no one gets rubbed out for a dangerous tackle. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter
If there were a broken tackles stat, I have no doubt we’d be well ahead. Has been the way for years. We’ve lacked aggression and strength in our tackles for as long as I can remember

If there were a broken tackles stat, I have no doubt we’d be well ahead. Has been the way for years. We’ve lacked aggression and strength in our tackles for as long as I can remember
There was a stat for effective tackles quoted in an article years ago (well before our downfall) and we were last in the comp. Unfortunately I don’t know where it was sourced from. Probably champion data but you need a certain licence

There was a stat for effective tackles quoted in an article years ago (well before our downfall) and we were last in the comp. Unfortunately I don’t know where it was sourced from. Probably champion data but you need a certain licence

It exists in Champion Data. We are not actually insanely ahead weirdly enough even though we are number 1 . It was North who wasnt far off us.

That was a few weeks ago. After last week we may be 200 odd ahead now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back